Luna build verse Bafang USA build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna build verse Bafang USA build

So I built a Luna kit BBSO2 and my wife liked it so much she wanted one as well. Luna kits were sold out so I ordered her BBSO2 from Bafang direct. Was pretty much exact same kit and since I already had bought the special bottom bracket wrench I could avoid buying another. The build went easy, I had some problems figuring how to mount the battery on the step thru Townie because the space between the bars were too close and it didn’t have water bottle lugs on the top. Luckily Luna sold a kit to mount the battery with adjustable clamps reasonably priced and that worked well.
    On comparison I def would recommend the Luna kit over the Bafang direct because of the controller. For one, whenever I turn on the power the Luna boots right up on power level 1, the Bafang direct doesn’t. You need to press another button “+” to switch from 0 to 1. Not a terrrible problem but just one more step. Next the Luna throttle delivers full power anytime the motor is on regardless of what level assist your in. This is nice if I’m just cruising along in level 1-3 and I need to quickly accelerate thru an intersection, I hit the throttle and zoom I get instant speed, on the Bafang direct model if your in a low setting 1-3 the throttle only will give you that level of power when you use it. If my wife needs instant speed she needs to stop pedaling then push the + button up to level 5 then hit the throttle, race thru the intersection then stop pedaling reset the assist level by pushing the - button. I called Bafang direct support asking if there was a way to change it in the menu but without swapping out the motor controller their wasn’t. Other than that I’m happy with both bikes!

With a programming cable you likely can get the behavior the same by simply tweaking the parameters

Perhaps you can make both even better too - I've yet to meet a factory setup that couldn't be improved

Comment

• CoMoBiker
      CoMoBiker commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds like the Luna bbs02 units can now utilize the throttle while the pedals are being turned! My old bbs02 from a year ago wouldn’t respond to the throttle if I was peddling so I installed a switch that can open the pas connection and I can pedal and throttle at the same time or close the switch and use pas. Has there been a firmware upgrade to fix that issue? The last I heard was that the bbshd could do pas and throttle together but not the bbs02.

• Dshue
      Dshue commented
      Editing a comment
      The BBS02B that I purchased on Amazon in August 2020 powers on in pas 1 and both throttle and pas work at the same time. Throttle overrides pas. I don't see how else the two can work together, unless you want the throttle to slow you down from the speed you were pedaling along at.
      Up hills if I'm not pedaling to the max and I hit the throttle while continuing to pedal it immediately accelerates to a little more than the max of that pas level. If I want max throttle assist regardless of pas level then that's doable with a programming cable, but as it came throttle assist is tied to pas assist(though throttle assist is slightly more than the pas level)
      Last edited by Dshue; 1 week ago.

My Luna BBS02 can throttle while pedaling. I’m not sure I’d need too. For example. I’m pedaling along and suddenly need some speed to cross an intersection or catch up to someone I’m following, I stop pedaling and hit the throttle and zoom! Off I go. :)

Comment

Ahh! The key here is “stop peddling “, I think. Looks like pedaling and throttle are still pretty much mutually exclusive activities on The BBS02. I mostly use pas at level 1 (of 9) when riding my Ebent and bump that up to 3 or 4 on serious hills. I occasionally turn off pas with my home installed switch and use throttle plus pedal to get across busy intersections. I Still wish the BBS02 would allow throttle and peddling to be done concurrently while using pas.

Comment

I have a BBSHD that had suffered from the "PAS-override" so that if pedaling the throttle couldn't be used to control the amount of assist

I made a little circuit that would sense the throttle, override the pedal cadence sensor, spliced it in and have been much, much happier ever since

I pedal 99+% of the time when the motor is providing power so my only interest with the throttle is t be able to utilize it for fast and fine control and this is very useful for my riding, particularly when off-road in varying conditions

There a FW versions floating around that can fix this too although FW can't be read from the controller to allow reversing back and there is some minor concern about bricking the controller when updating - If I hadn't gone the hardware fix route I'd likely have done this

There are also ways to set the parameters that will override PAS altogether such that the bike will become throttle-only control whether or not you are pedaling - very easy to do and risk free and I did this when I knew I'd be heading out for off-road riding and then often revert back to "normal" PAS mode for in-town multi-use paths

Comment

I just tested my Luna, I throttled and pedaled at same time and the throttle overtook the pedaling.

Comment

Get a programming USB cable and get the program and read out the settings from yours and see what's the difference between the 2 motor and maybe post it here.

Have a read through here first
            https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...shd-mid-drives

Comment

Ok, I will

Comment

I believe some displays are the cause of startup in pas 0.
                also my 2020 BBS02B from Amazon doesn't require me to stop pedaling to change pas levels. My display is the p850c.
                It starts in pas 1 on startup and the throttle works while pedaling. The throttle over rides the pas since all it does is accelerate the motor. But throttle assist is linked to pas level. With most BBS02B the throttle provides just a little more assist than pas does in each level. With a programming cable throttle can be set to max assist regardless of pas level.
                Of course programming will void the warranty.

Last edited by Dshue; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
                X