Hydraulic brakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic brakes!

I think you also need a mid drive. 2 controllers or you have one doing both wheels? How much battery and how much range?

Comment

Ha. I have 2 hub motors, controllers and batteries. In the process of connecting both the throttles to one. I live in a place with extreme hills. I have a daily commute of around 35 miles. Interestingly, my range from a single 48v 1000w system has gone from about 40 miles to around 70 miles. The bike is really heavy but can now handle any hill.

Comment

Assuming that those hills go down also, I would suggest a much bigger front brake. 200, or even 220mm.
        Also hydraulic brakes have a weakness that cable brakes don't. They can overheat the fluid on long downhill runs. I would get a DH rated 4 piston front brake at the same time.
        TRP actually upgraded their DH racing brakes for fast E bike (Pedelec 50kph) certification in Europe.
        https://trpcycling.com/product/g-spec-emtb/
        You can read down there the list of changes they made to their racing brakes for Fast E bikes.
        I'm sure Shimano, SRAM/Avid, and others have suitable products also.

Comment

Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
          Assuming that those hills go down also, I would suggest a much bigger front brake. 200, or even 220mm.
          Also hydraulic brakes have a weakness that cable brakes don't. They can overheat the fluid on long downhill runs. I would get a DH rated 4 piston front brake at the same time.
          TRP actually upgraded their DH racing brakes for fast E bike (Pedelec 50kph) certification in Europe.
          https://trpcycling.com/product/g-spec-emtb/
          You can read down there the list of changes they made to their racing brakes for Fast E bikes.
          I'm sure Shimano, SRAM/Avid, and others have suitable products also.
          The amount of regen that is possible with DD hubs almost makes brakes an unused system. I still have large brakes in case the electronics fail but I really only use the brakes to stop the bike at the last couple of mph or to hold the bike while getting on or off.

Comment

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            You're absolutely right. I'm a BBSHD owner and didn't think about the regen aspect. I'm thinking about doing a 2WD bike so that's worth considering.
            I'm guessing the geared hubmotors don't have that. Even without regen I guess the DDs produce some drag just coasting..
            Maybe I need to go try a couple of various Hubmotors first. I never felt the need before.

• calfee20
            calfee20 commented
            Editing a comment
            My bikes coast great. You shouldn't worry about that but make sure your DD hub has thin laminations. Here is a good article on DD hub motors. That is also what I consider the minimum for a DD hub motor. I have one on my trike now.

https://www.electricbike.com/edge-1500w/
            Last edited by calfee20; 3 weeks ago.

My brakes work adequately. However, under extreme braking, I am worried about the front forks holding out with the excess weight.

Comment

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            There are 2 limits to front braking power. Tire traction, and going OTB. OTB will happen sooner going down a hill. With knobbies you should be able to lock up the tires. The strength of the fork can be estimated by the diameter of the bare part of the tubes. 25mm is low end crap, 28mm is light duty street and XC I'm using then on pavement with street tires but would like more.., 30mm and up is where strength begins to be part of the design.
            Last edited by Retrorockit; 3 weeks ago.

I think I will have to upgrade the front forks.

Comment

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree - suspension forks are usually a bad idea with front hub motors... not so much for braking (although those look like weak forks even for that), but to handle the force created by the wheel pulling the bike... that might not be as bad as a front hub only but it's still an issue

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm Mid drive and getting away with 28mm but for a front hub motor I think 30mm would be the minimum.
        Working...
        X