Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Mariachi with Cyclone 3000 W! Hot! Hot! Hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Mariachi with Cyclone 3000 W! Hot! Hot! Hot!

Electric Mariachi!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n14991[/ATTACH]

I decided to build this bike to commute to work and run errands around town. I live in a small town college town and most of my trips are less than a few miles. Parking is limited in many places and often you get the best parking with a bike. I am a fairly strong cyclist with a preference to mountain biking. I could ride one of my other bikes for most of these trips but sometime I don’t want to show up where I need to be all sweaty or I’m too tired or too lazy. I’m a mechanical engineering by day and a tinker-er by night.

At first I started to build my own cobbled together electric drive bike using a scooter motor sourced off of ebay and some other cobbled together parts. I ran out of time and motivation. With a full time job, a 2-year-old and a desire to actually ride bikes for fun and exercise I found I didn’t have time to build an electric bike this way. I boxed up the motor, controller and other parts and thought, “well maybe I’ll build the kid a go-cart or something down the road”. Fast forward 6 months, a friend of mine mentioned he had seen 3000 W mid drive kits out there and how fun they would be. This re-ignited my desire to tinker with electric bikes. My birthday was coming up and my wife asked me what I wanted. It was like the scene out of A Christmas Story where Santa asks the kid what he wants for Christmas and the kid says “I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!” Instead it was “I want a 3000 W cyclone mid-drive E-bike kit!”
    We purchased the kit from Luna Cycles and a few days before my birthday my wife let me open my birthday present because as she said “it would take a little while to get working”. I had the kit roughly installed within an hour or so. The bike I chose to put the kit on was a Salsa El Mariachi. I chose this bike because my buddy was looking to get rid of it and he had his eye on a spare suspension fork I had laying around. A trade was made and I had a bike that didn’t fit me all that well (too small) but had a threaded bottom bracket. All of the regular bike parts, forks, derailleurs, shifters, brakes etc. I had laying around from other bike projects. After my wife purchased the cyclone motor kit I purchased a 52v 17ah triangle battery and a cycle analyst from Luna Cycles. This coupled with the 40 amp controller would give me ~2000 W of butt moving power. I chose this combination because I’m roughly 200 lbs and I live at the bottom of a 1/4 mile long hill that climbs 300’. I didn’t want to spend a bunch of money on something that couldn’t get me up that hill.

I got the motor installed, battery mounted in the Luna Cycles Triangle bag. Now time for the first trial run. It worked but it was evident that improvements needed to be made. First off the motor mounts flexed a lot under load. Moving the throttle to quickly would cause the motor to apply a large torque, flexing the motor mounts and cause the drive chain to fall off. If I gently rolled onto the throttle this wasn’t as much of a problem. The motor mount flex was not as much of a surprise as it has been discussed ad nauseam on other forums. Back to the shop!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n14994[/ATTACH]

Back in the shop I found 2 3”x3”x3” pieces of aluminum angle. I bolted these pieces inside of the two black mounting brackets with the legs overlapping. The angles were then bolted to the black brackets and then to themselves with 6 x 3/8” bolts. This helped a lot but there was still quite a bit of movement where the motor attached to the bracket. This was solved by removing the stock bolts and replacing the 4 bolts with 2 long grade 8 ¼-20 bolts. The holes needed drilled out a little bit and a space needed to be fabricated for the nondrive side of the motor. Once this modification was made the motor moved very little under load.

Even though the bike rides OK a major problem still exists, the crank has some MAJOR wobble in it. There are two sources of this wobble. One is the freewheel bearing in the crank. This component may not be of the highest quality and has developed some serious play. I have purchased a replacement bearing from sickbikeparts.com that is made by White Industries. White makes some pretty sick hubs, they know bearings. I have the new freewheel sitting on my work bench, I just need some free time to install it. The other source of the crank wobble is coming from the bottom bracket. I ordered the kit with the standard square taper bottom bracket. The salsa El Mariachi has a 73 mm bottom bracket. When I assemble the bottom bracket it appears the non-drive side bearing is not nesting in the threaded bottom bracket cup. This is allowing the bearing to bounce around the inside of the frames bottom bracket housing. I’m waiting to hear back from Luna on this problem before I proceed with any modifications. The ISIS bottom bracket may not have this issue or maybe I have installed it incorrectly? This problem causes the chain to be thrown when I pedal. It’s a problem but it’s not causing me not to ride the bike.
    Over all the bike is a blast to ride. It does make a little noise but I avoid the rail trail and stick to back and neighborhood roads when riding it. I think it will serve me well as an around town commuter/errand running bike. Things I have left to do on this bike:
    • Fix crank wobble (install new freewheel bearing and sort out BB bearing problem)
    • Wire up the Cycle Analyst
    • Install big two legged touring kickstand
    Build list is as follows:
    Frame: Salsa El Mariachi (2013?)
    Fork: Salsa
    Brakes: Cheapest Shimano Hydraulics (they suck compared the XT’s I us on my MTN bikes)
    Shifter: Sram X7 (Normally a Shimano guy but I had it in a drawer)
    Rear Derailleur: Sram X7 (Same as above)
    Chains: Sram something
    Tires: Maxis Hookworms 2.5"
    Fenders: X-Blades
    Motor Kit: Luna Cycles Cyclone 3000 w/ square taper BB ($350 (wife bought it?))
    Battery: Triangle 52v Panasonic GA 17ah ($599)
    Battery bag: Luna Cycles Triangle Batter bag (Free with battery)
    Dash: Cycle Analyst ($125)
    Basket: Wald (Biggest one they make)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lazybiker; 08-22-2016, 04:59 PM.

Wow great job on a clean build/install. Hope to hear how it holds up for you.

Comment

Nice job! Be sure when you do get that two legged kick stand that it is more like a moped "center stand" (a good steel one! aluminum ones just bend after a while) since I noticed you have a rather large front rack, well worth it!

Comment

I want to hear about your saddle. What kind is it and do you like it?

Comment

Correct! The saddle is a Brooks. I think B67 is also correct. It's a comfortable saddle for banging around town. Great touring saddle.

Comment

I love cyclone builds ...thanks so much for sharing. :)

Comment

Working...
          X