BBHSD on RadWagon Cargo Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBHSD on RadWagon Cargo Bike

Started with a RadWagon that had a rear hub motor and NCRB 48V Dolphin Pack. Upgraded to a BBHSD, color display, Luna Eclipse, Luna headlight, 52v GA Shark Pack. Additional upgrades include - getting a USB rear light and front flasher that I hardwired via a transformer off the battery. I also installed a gas tank gauge (voltmeter with shunt) - measures my watt hours well.

Build Price:
    • Radwagon ($1400)
    • BBSHD 68mm kit from luna with color screen and Luna Cyclops LED ($890)
    • Shark GA 13.5ah battery ($700)
    • Voltmeter off of amazon ($20)
    • USB transformer off of amazon ($10)
    • Upgraded front brake to Tektro hydraulic ($100)
    • Schwalbe Big Ben rear tire ($50)
    • Re-purposed Radwagon Hub; battery, controller, rear tire and front brake to a 1991 GT Zaskar
    Build Notes:
    • Getting spacers right on the bottom bracket - to minimize wobble
    • Biggest challenge in the build was locking down the BBHSD outer ring - I tried everything in my tool box. Finally I resorted to a plumbers pipe wrench and it worked beautifully.
    • Heat shrinking the massive voltmeter shunt
    • Lots of space all over the bike to use a bigger battery
    Ride Notes:
    • I regularly use it for anything within a 15 mile radius - for local errands - it's a car replacement. Hauls myself with two kids on the back.
    • Ride it 4 times per month to work (17 miles each way) - recharge battery at work
    • It's an absolute night and day difference compared to the original hub motor.
    • At speed with just myself at 30amps it goes 33mph on the flats with no pedaling. It spins up pretty well using the gears on the uphills.
    • The cargo bike weighs unloaded 90+ pounds - it's a tank but I think the weight adds to the stability at speed with the kids on the back. Even with the heavy weight - it handles very bike-like using pedelec levels 1&2.
    Last edited by Jackson; 08-29-2016, 08:52 PM.

Nice Clean Build! :D

Comment

Jackson what front cage is that? And what wheel did you get for the back? I saw your tire, but not the wheel.

Thanks! I'm working through doing the same thing with my RadWagon!

Comment

Had a LBS build me a rear wheel as they are too hard to find sturdy enough. Now in the middle of my build, it seems they bonded the bottom bracket threads. I can't get it to budge with an 18V impact wrench. Any ideas?

Comment

• Peter Halt
          Peter Halt commented
          Editing a comment
          6 foot cheater bar.
      Working...
      X