No announcement yet.

The "Bonanza Bulldozer" Dual PhaseRunner 2WD Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My videos look nice (in full local res) but the Cycle Analyst displays didn't show up as well as hoped, they mostly show reflections of the sky. But the real data is in the experience anyway, the traction and climbing effectiveness. With 1/3 current to the front and 2/3 to the rear the front is slipping a bit, but very controllable. Ideally I would have a control to modulate front torque easily, I may do something for that.
    Alan B

Comment

Next time we get in that area we should try that 18% paved gradient. Perhaps park at the bottom just in case :)
      Alan B

Comment

China Camp ebike ride September 25th. Mark your calendar.

Alan B

Comment

After fixing a flat tire from a failed tube neck last Sunday I launched into the next phases of the makeover. The 2.5mm spacer was added to the freewheel and the derailleur readjusted so now I can get into all six gears. I swapped the front PhaseRunner from an early beta unit to my second production model, so now the two match, and the programming jack, on/off pushbutton and cables are the same.

I cut all the wiring cable ties and am still working on cable routing, several days later. I need to fabricate a new power splitting cable to fit the smaller space inside the battery bag.

The most interesting change is the swapping of the front hydraulic brake for a Shimano Deore XT. The old Hayes was fine, but I decided to move away from DOT fluid and the Shimano was selected. They are very high quality brakes and have heat radiating fins on the caliper, and adjustments on the lever. With wires dangling I haven't been able to ride them yet, but soon, very soon.

Alan B

Comment

Originally posted by Alan B View Post
            China Camp ebike ride September 25th. Mark your calendar.

http://www.meetup.com/ebiketreks/events/233268441/
            I'll be there. The weather forecast is sunny.

Great progress on the bike. I am happy that you have matching controllers. Please take pictures of your wiring upgrade before and after. Also, please post a picture of the cooling fins on the caliper. Is the Shimano brake fluid the same as mineral oil? Those Shimano brakes sound like the best that money can buy.

Comment

Shimano has their own mineral oil based hydraulic brake oil. Each manufacturer chooses additives to the base mineral oil, plus the "weight" of the oil to be compatible with their hoses, pistons, seals and gaskets. From the reading I have done, they are not all compatible (especially with the brakes that use DOT fluid). Magura in particular has chosen additives that will quickly damage the Shimano brakes. But it also appears that Shimano oil may be okay in Tektro brakes, though Tektro will not comment on that. Tektro oil is quite expensive and only available in 50 mL bottles. Shimano oil is available in 1 liter bottles and is more affordable and available, so it would be good to know that it is okay to use in Tektro. However I don't expect to need oil for awhile, the old Hayes brake needs oil after 5 years, so I have awhile before I have to worry about that.

I wanted to get away from DOT fluid as it takes on water, and damages paint. Mineral oil is not caustic and doesn't absorb water.

I will take some photos soon.
              Alan B

Comment

Good info for those of us who run hydraulic brakes. My Tektro Dorado brakes say "Mineral Oil" and I might have just added any old mineral oil.

Comment

Working...
                X