Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    Good info for those of us who run hydraulic brakes. My Tektro Dorado brakes say "Mineral Oil" and I might have just added any old mineral oil.

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    Shimano has their own mineral oil based hydraulic brake oil. Each manufacturer chooses additives to the base mineral oil, plus the "weight" of the oil to be compatible with their hoses, pistons, seals and gaskets. From the reading I have done, they are not all compatible (especially with the brakes that use DOT fluid). Magura in particular has chosen additives that will quickly damage the Shimano brakes. But it also appears that Shimano oil may be okay in Tektro brakes, though Tektro will not comment on that. Tektro oil is quite expensive and only available in 50 mL bottles. Shimano oil is available in 1 liter bottles and is more affordable and available, so it would be good to know that it is okay to use in Tektro. However I don't expect to need oil for awhile, the old Hayes brake needs oil after 5 years, so I have awhile before I have to worry about that.

I wanted to get away from DOT fluid as it takes on water, and damages paint. Mineral oil is not caustic and doesn't absorb water.

I will take some photos soon.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan B View Post
    China Camp ebike ride September 25th. Mark your calendar.

http://www.meetup.com/ebiketreks/events/233268441/
    I'll be there. The weather forecast is sunny.

Great progress on the bike. I am happy that you have matching controllers. Please take pictures of your wiring upgrade before and after. Also, please post a picture of the cooling fins on the caliper. Is the Shimano brake fluid the same as mineral oil? Those Shimano brakes sound like the best that money can buy.

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    After fixing a flat tire from a failed tube neck last Sunday I launched into the next phases of the makeover. The 2.5mm spacer was added to the freewheel and the derailleur readjusted so now I can get into all six gears. I swapped the front PhaseRunner from an early beta unit to my second production model, so now the two match, and the programming jack, on/off pushbutton and cables are the same.

I cut all the wiring cable ties and am still working on cable routing, several days later. I need to fabricate a new power splitting cable to fit the smaller space inside the battery bag.

The most interesting change is the swapping of the front hydraulic brake for a Shimano Deore XT. The old Hayes was fine, but I decided to move away from DOT fluid and the Shimano was selected. They are very high quality brakes and have heat radiating fins on the caliper, and adjustments on the lever. With wires dangling I haven't been able to ride them yet, but soon, very soon.

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    China Camp ebike ride September 25th. Mark your calendar.

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    Next time we get in that area we should try that 18% paved gradient. Perhaps park at the bottom just in case :)

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    My videos look nice (in full local res) but the Cycle Analyst displays didn't show up as well as hoped, they mostly show reflections of the sky. But the real data is in the experience anyway, the traction and climbing effectiveness. With 1/3 current to the front and 2/3 to the rear the front is slipping a bit, but very controllable. Ideally I would have a control to modulate front torque easily, I may do something for that.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    Here is some video from my camera from the ride: https://youtu.be/vQ2MDYVgkPw

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    Quite a ride today. It is still a challenge to ride up the poor quality steep dirt road, but this Bonanza Bulldozer goes up quite well. :)

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    I am going on a ride tomorrow (Sunday, 9/11) with Alan and this bike. If anybody is in the Bay Area and wants to join us, PM Alan or myself.

I will make a video of the ride, and post the YouTube link here.

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PHowWWk3jDo4W1Ak9om1Q7CHHv6HEeZgLTLB7x1dP4XuOQE-BJC8rHYuWLjdyaJXcbetd14bgeT-_MOh2NMZan4vIZ5ReD-Lhdp0bIAekgFBVzWnCd4_mWbojfpCMBtwLLV8quz4dPDUuHzPrWcWQSYf7QDyVSqRkEX9XPxvScfIu5laT8N0_tAHYRjRXCCTVpGsl0Ey1Dh4KPTaMNrXJREVhgI6_PesfRfXJpUDS7siyOFMz-1zDf8xA6TZXLx
Views:	267
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	17146

Setup bike with dual Cycle Analyst V2 displays on sale at Luna, one for each motor.

Increased the bandwidth of the PLL loop and the BMC gearmotor overcurrent trips stopped. Balanced the torque with 1/3 front power and 2/3 rear power. It still climbs well, though I have reduced power a bit.

Took a longer test ride today with no issues. Very smooth and strong. The throttle ramps are a bit long so it isn't abrupt, but it has a lot of power. At the moment I'm limiting total battery current to 46 amps of the rated 50 (with the Luna 72V pack). The slow throttle ramps are easy on the BMC clutch and helpful to the rider when dealing with front wheel spinout.

This is probably my only ebike that will wear out front tires faster than rear. With the high torque motor there, and the rearward weight shift when accelerating, that front tire wants to slip a little. I will probably want an easy adjustment for front torque to adapt it to the surface.

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    This chart shows a few motors and several of my ebikes. The 2WD thrust is quite impressive, it exceeds the thrust from the CroBorg and the RidgeRunner. The current limit of the controllers does affect the available performance from the motors. When current limited the high turn count motors provide the most thrust, however the top speed is limited. A tradeoff.
    Last edited by Alan B; 09-08-2016, 04:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    Yes, I've been reading the ES thread as well as your article. Nice motor. According to my calculations it requires more current than the PhaseRunner can handle in the available windings. My 6x10 (10 turn) 9C is a high voltage low current motor and produces more torque at 50A phase current than most motors, so it is hard to improve on. The PhaseRunners are excellent controllers but are limited in current.

Leave a comment:

• spinningmagnets
    replied
    Alan, if you are in the market for a 1500W model, I have recently been playing with the Edge 1500. Worth considering.

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    Added a pair of heatsinks to protect and cool the dual PhaseRunners. This view also shows the external shunt which allows measuring the total current fed into both PhaseRunners. In this photo there's no CA connected to it.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	nL5Xy8rDaxLkjKX6zAwOgRFG76bPDXHM73Oobu2NuCUB_Bw_rVGP2RLfoGSh0QohQxnIRjw0b9m5_vLB-eoczpfO3rFOTsgQKCIqXKfjjPhLXulEpyETYT7wsIJaPK1yDUI-x-14KNCKChLVP_QF-Z-qwU3vGYuetqCkGJ8HUihFsLdlJSMjRT9lZPiKjr7iC4g54n-aIsWGZWcDK28XW7Zr_5bq3w0jRPpFCegZ7iWWZ13G3UlS3tPcEzWd2U5
Views:	261
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	16805
    Last edited by Alan B; 09-07-2016, 05:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X