Chainline issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chainline issue

I have 2022 salsa mukluck with stock advent x cassette and 10 speed shifter. I put on it a bbshd motorwith 28 t chainring and it pushed my chain line way out. My bigger gears I seem to have no problem but wen I get to the smaller gears like the the last four when under load it try's to shift and makes loud poping noises. When it's on the bike stand with no load it works just fine. Is there anything I can do to prevent this.
    Last edited by Kesmo; 03-18-2024, 08:02 PM.

Typically its the big ones that have the issue especially with a low offset chain ring like a 28. The 40 and larger can have a larger offset because they are big enough to go over the BBS's gear case. It seems unlikely that you could be so far in that the angle is that bad for those small cogs.

How many miles are on your chain and cassette? Its not uncommon with the power available with a BBSHD and those smaller like 10-12t cogs there just isn't a lot of teeth engaged to the chain at one time so it doesn't take much wear they just can't hold the power. If you are finding yourself wanting to put down some power at those ground speeds you may want to look at a larger ring up front which will mean for the RPM vs ground speed you would be on a larger cog in the back which means more teeth engaged. That will make your low gear higher so you have to work out the balance between power and speed.

Also note that the BBS motors like to spin on the high side or slightly faster than most people can pedal so if you are mostly on the throttle periodically check by pedaling that you are spinning just about to fast to keep up. If you are not spinning that fast you need to downshift to get spinning that fast. Try doing those checks over the variety of riding that you typically do. You may find that you are just riding in the wrong gears and shifting will solve your issues. If you don't have gears to shift to you then need to adjust cog and or chain ring sizes so you have the correct gears to shift to for your riding.

If you are pedaling its fine to select a gear that is comfortable for you to pedal. The power you are contributing helps to offset the motor running too slow. Its when you are not really pedaling you need to be in lower gears so the motor is spinning faster.

Comment

Definitely getting a narrow wide chainring will.help. I put an old front derailer on my bike to act as a chain guide while I wait for my narrow wide to arrive in the mail. Maybe you could try that.

Comment

Working...
      X