Motobecane Fantom 29 BBSHD build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motobecane Fantom 29 BBSHD build

I just completed a BBSHD build using a Motobecane Fantom 29 from Bike Island. I purchases all of the ebike parts from Lunacycle.com and they have been excellent! My bike is a 39cm frame. I'm about 5'9" and the frame fits me well. It turns out the geometry of this frame makes it quite difficult to fit many of the long range batteries our there. I ended being able to fit a 17ah triangle battery into the space, but the 20ah battery that I wanted would not fit.

Here's what I bought.

Bike from Bike Island : Motobecane Fantom 29 -- 39cm $399
    Motor Kit from Luna Cycle: BBSHD (68-73mm), standard thumb Throttle, Luna Color Display, magnetic brake cut offs, luna cycle wrench ($19), and 42T Lekkie Bling Chain Ring) -- $822.95
    Battery and Charger from Luna Cycle: TRIANGLE 52v Panasonic GA 18650 17.5ah and Advanced Luna 52V Ebike Charger.
    JB Weld -- Quick Setting Type! ($6)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ebike1.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	16931
    Here's the bike shortly after completion (I still have little tweaks to make)

Putting this together was, for the most part, really pretty easy. The motor slipped into the bottom bracket easily and the spacers and bolts and ring-nuts all worked flawlessly. The luna cycle wrench made it especially easy to tighten the ring-nuts. The battery was still a tight fit, but it seems to be in a solid position.

Name:	IMG_20160907_163522103_HDR.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	16932Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160907_163535676.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	16933

The most difficult and time-consuming part of the whole build is trying to get the magnetic cut-offs to attach to the brakes on this bike. The sensor for the brakes is longer than any flat part of the brake to attach it too. I first ground down the black paint/plastic covering the brake then cut off the sticky tape that is on the sensor (to me that isn't nearly strong enough for such an important part of this build). I then used JB weld to hold the sensor onto the main part of the brake (left side here). I had to have part of the sensor hang out over the joint and I left that unglued. I could have used JB weld to build up a little platform to make it all flat, but I didn't think that it was that important. Here it looks like a big glob because I'm letting it cure before I sand it down a bit. It's important with brakes of this shape to have a fast-setting epoxy. Even 6 minutes was a problem. The wire and weight of the thing constantly made it slide around. After I got the sensors on the two brakes, I figured out where the magnets needed to be (Note: I'd already tried this out to an extent, but now I was about to use epoxy). It can be frustrating that these little magnets have to almost touch the sensor in order to allow the motor to run. It was not easy to fix a tiny, smooth magnet to the brake lever and have it basically touching the sensor without actually gluing it to the sensor. Again, I could have shopped around for a magnet with a better shape, but in the end I think it worked fine. I basically put JB weld all over the magnet to make a cover for it. You can see it as the glob on the right side of this picture.

Name:	IMG_20160907_163506923_HDR.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	16934

Once the brakes were set, all I needed to do was zip tie loads of wires, the triangle bag, speed sensor and such. That took about 15 minutes.

I'd say that the entire build took about 2.5 hours, but 75 minutes of that was probably dealing with the magnetic brake cut offs.

I built this bike to ride up forest service and BLM roads that my car won't go up and will take too much to get up with only my power or by hiking. I thought that the 42T ring would be a good fit for this because I'm not planning on doing much steep single track.

Name:	ebike2.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	16930
    Within a couple of hours of completion, I was up on a nearby mountain.

I'm not sure if the 42T ring will ultimately be what I want. I don't know if I'm keeping the RPMs on the motor high enough with the larger ring. Thus far, using a PAS of 1, 2, or 3 (out of 5) depending on how steep the road was I was able to pedal along like I was riding a cruiser to the farmers' market. It was amazing! I may look at getting the smaller chain ring from Luna Cycle so that my RPMs are high and I can climb a bit more if I have to use my own power. This bike is not easy to push on my own at the moment. I could go level and downhill of course, but it didn't take much a slope before I was really working hard to move along without assistance.

It's really early, but I've had a blast riding this so far. I have all kinds of plans for it. I now need to get a good hitch rack, so that I don't have to take so many parts off to get it in my car.

Nice build. I was looking to do a build out of this bike for a family member. How do you like the bike itself? Any comments on the stock Motobecane build quality?
    http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-disc-fsr-2005

Comment

your bike looks great. i am looking at the same type and would also love to hear any comments abut the motobecane quality at that price point

Comment

Thanks. I can't say much about the motobecane yet; I don't have enough miles on it. It's obviously not top-of-the-line, but it's shifting nicely and the fork feels pretty good on bumps. It's a nice ride overall. I'm not used to SRAM derailleurs and shifters. They feel a bit cheap to me. The brakes have good stopping power, but I find myself adjusting them a fair bit. I would have preferred buying a used bike, but where I live there are too few bikes, so I went with Bike Island.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerred View Post
          I just completed a BBSHD build using a Motobecane Fantom 29 from Bike Island. I purchases all of the ebike parts from Lunacycle.com and they have been excellent! My bike is a 39cm frame. I'm about 5'9" and the frame fits me well. It turns out the geometry of this frame makes it quite difficult to fit many of the long range batteries our there. I ended being able to fit a 17ah triangle battery into the space, but the 20ah battery that I wanted would not fit.

Here's what I bought.

Bike from Bike Island : Motobecane Fantom 29 -- 39cm $399
          Motor Kit from Luna Cycle: BBSHD (68-73mm), standard thumb Throttle, Luna Color Display, magnetic brake cut offs, luna cycle wrench ($19), and 42T Lekkie Bling Chain Ring) -- $822.95
          Battery and Charger from Luna Cycle: TRIANGLE 52v Panasonic GA 18650 17.5ah and Advanced Luna 52V Ebike Charger.
          JB Weld -- Quick Setting Type! ($6)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n16931[/ATTACH]
          Here's the bike shortly after completion (I still have little tweaks to make)

Putting this together was, for the most part, really pretty easy. The motor slipped into the bottom bracket easily and the spacers and bolts and ring-nuts all worked flawlessly. The luna cycle wrench made it especially easy to tighten the ring-nuts. The battery was still a tight fit, but it seems to be in a solid position.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n16932[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n16933[/ATTACH]

The most difficult and time-consuming part of the whole build is trying to get the magnetic cut-offs to attach to the brakes on this bike. The sensor for the brakes is longer than any flat part of the brake to attach it too. I first ground down the black paint/plastic covering the brake then cut off the sticky tape that is on the sensor (to me that isn't nearly strong enough for such an important part of this build). I then used JB weld to hold the sensor onto the main part of the brake (left side here). I had to have part of the sensor hang out over the joint and I left that unglued. I could have used JB weld to build up a little platform to make it all flat, but I didn't think that it was that important. Here it looks like a big glob because I'm letting it cure before I sand it down a bit. It's important with brakes of this shape to have a fast-setting epoxy. Even 6 minutes was a problem. The wire and weight of the thing constantly made it slide around. After I got the sensors on the two brakes, I figured out where the magnets needed to be (Note: I'd already tried this out to an extent, but now I was about to use epoxy). It can be frustrating that these little magnets have to almost touch the sensor in order to allow the motor to run. It was not easy to fix a tiny, smooth magnet to the brake lever and have it basically touching the sensor without actually gluing it to the sensor. Again, I could have shopped around for a magnet with a better shape, but in the end I think it worked fine. I basically put JB weld all over the magnet to make a cover for it. You can see it as the glob on the right side of this picture.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n16934[/ATTACH]

Once the brakes were set, all I needed to do was zip tie loads of wires, the triangle bag, speed sensor and such. That took about 15 minutes.

I'd say that the entire build took about 2.5 hours, but 75 minutes of that was probably dealing with the magnetic brake cut offs.

I built this bike to ride up forest service and BLM roads that my car won't go up and will take too much to get up with only my power or by hiking. I thought that the 42T ring would be a good fit for this because I'm not planning on doing much steep single track.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n16930[/ATTACH]
          Within a couple of hours of completion, I was up on a nearby mountain.

I'm not sure if the 42T ring will ultimately be what I want. I don't know if I'm keeping the RPMs on the motor high enough with the larger ring. Thus far, using a PAS of 1, 2, or 3 (out of 5) depending on how steep the road was I was able to pedal along like I was riding a cruiser to the farmers' market. It was amazing! I may look at getting the smaller chain ring from Luna Cycle so that my RPMs are high and I can climb a bit more if I have to use my own power. This bike is not easy to push on my own at the moment. I could go level and downhill of course, but it didn't take much a slope before I was really working hard to move along without assistance.

It's really early, but I've had a blast riding this so far. I have all kinds of plans for it. I now need to get a good hitch rack, so that I don't have to take so many parts off to get it in my car.
          i have the same bbshd 68-73 and i have been looking for weeks on bikes direct for a fantom 29er (trail) but what im not sure of is which one will my kit fit because on the description they all have different sizes of bb. please help. my understanding was all mountaian bikes BB are 68-73???
          Keep On Ebiking

Comment

Working...
          X