Framed Alaskan Bluto X7 + BBSHD + Luna Mighty Mini 30Q = The Fat Bastard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Framed Alaskan Bluto X7 + BBSHD + Luna Mighty Mini 30Q = The Fat Bastard

After a year of experimenting with 1970s enduro bikes and finding them finicky and generally awful, I decided to try and build an electric fat bike. I wanted a bike that I could ride on trails and roads in any kind of weather while I forage for wild mushrooms and explore western Massachusetts. I have no adult experience with bicycles but I work on my own cars and motorcycles, and figured the BBSHD install wouldn't be too challenging. I was right - it's a piece of cake on the Framed Alaskan Alloy X7 w/Bluto Fork. http://www.framedbikes.com/ak-alloy-sram-bluto/

I found the Fat Bike on craigslist for $700, and I spent about $1200 at Luna Cycle to turn it into The Fat Bastard.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brody-56-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	16958

The bottom bracket on this bike is self-extracting, and no special crank puller was required to remove the Raceface Turbine crankset. I ordered the Luna Cycle BBSHD 120mm even though the bike has a 100mm BB. In retrospect, I wish I'd gotten the 100mm BBSHD so I didn't have to use so many spacers. The 120mm BBSHD works fine though.

One issue I had was that the BBSHD would not slide all the way through the bottom bracket. I determined that the issue was with the BB, and I dremeled down the high point with a grinding stone as shown here: Click image for larger version

Name:	Brody-8476.jpg
Size:	977.5 KB
ID:	16956

OK, it isn't pretty in there but it works. The BBSHD slid freely in now. I got an extra spacer kit and I'm glad I did - I used them all in this arrangement: Click image for larger version

Name:	Brody-8481.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	16952

Pro tip: Buy the Luna BBSHD tool. It just makes sense. Tighten everything down like so, making sure to get the rear brake cable out from in between the motor and the frame. I ruined a cable before I figured that out...

Name:	Brody-8482.jpg
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	16959

I went with the Luna aluminum 42T crank and really like it. In the lowest two gears the bike wheelies pretty easily, and I've gotten up to 38mph on a slight downhill. It has enough offset to make a reasonably straight chainline the way I have the spacers arranged.

Name:	Brody-8486.jpg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	16955

I decided to start small on the battery front - I went with Luna's 52v Mighty Mini 30Q. The $300 30Q is the only Mighty Mini that can put out the 30 amps that the BBSHD will use, but even on this pack you won't be able to go full blast for long. The first time I took it out I hit the thermal shutoff a few times - now I've just adjusted my riding style and have had no more shutdowns. I do like the 30Q pack and am extremely impressed with its range given how small and light it is. This pack at full 58v charge is a torque monster!

Name:	Brody-8487.jpg
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	16963

I glued the red/black connectors together and put addtl heat shrink wrap over the power cables. I mounted the Mighty Mini in a BV strap on saddle bag, $14 from Amazon and it fits perfectly https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	Brody-8488.jpg
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	16954

The speed sensor I had to add another rare earth magnet to it so the sensor would pick it up. I just used a dab of Gorilla Glue to secure it.

Name:	Brody-8489.jpg
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	16961

Bike complete, and it squeaks in just over 50lbs! This thing is an absolute riot, and has power to weight ratio of an old 125cc enduro! Thanks to Luna Cycle for making such a low-cost, user-friendly kit that blows away any street legal factory ebike! I added a Thudbuster LT after a few rides - you really need some sort of seatpost damping when you're increasing the weight and speed of an off-road bike.

Name:	Brody-55.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	16962

Name:	Brody-55-2.jpg
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	16951

Name:	Brody-56.jpg
Size:	944.9 KB
ID:	16957
    #wolfhillfatbikesociety

Attached Files
    Last edited by doctorbrody; 09-08-2016, 08:15 AM.

This is such a cool build! What sort of range do you get with the mighty mini HD on the fatbike? Do you use pedal assist or throttle mostly?

Comment

I mostly use pedal assist on level 2 or 3 out of 9, but the throttle is fantastic for getting the bike moving from a stop on an uphill slope.

I'm almost always in the woods with this bike so it's hard to say exactly what the range is - maybe 12-14 miles or so. Definitely enough range to explore locally for a few hours. My next purchase is a much bigger battery though!

Comment

That is an attractive frame, almost shaped like a beach cruiser...

Comment

Name:	(1 of 1)BB154028.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	24856

This bike is amazing in the snow. Lighting the way are two TTX Lighting 4 inch floods from Amazon. First attempt the lights blew at 56V, so I got new ones and wired them in series, rather than in parallel thus splitting the voltage in half.

Comment

Best bike name ever! Perfectly descriptive......

Comment

Thanks for the post.

Possible for another photo in the bush with the build completed

Comment

Working...
              X