Haro Astoria Hybrid – Luna Ebike build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haro Astoria Hybrid – Luna Ebike build

My goal was for a mid-drive hybrid bike for road & bike trails to use for some commuting and general pleasure riding. I've been a road biker for years and live in a real hilly area in Laguna Niguel CA. As I get older just coming back up the hill to my home gets harder, since my work schedule does not allow me to ride enough to stay in the shape I used to be in.

I purchased the Haro with the Luna mid drive kit in mind, rode it for about a month before starting the conversion. I really like the bike, it is comfortable, not too heavy and handles very well. Adding the kit made it the coolest bike I've ever ridden!

It's fast when I want it to be (30+mph on a flat) and I can still get in an exercise ride by turning the power down or turning it off. I have commuted to my job in Irvine about 21 miles one way; I use more battery getting there so on most days I don't need the shower, and then I can get home in about 1 hr 15 minutes, which is not bad at all compared to a heavy traffic car commute. Yes I do have a charger that I keep at work. My best guess is that I could get 30-35 miles on a full charge.

Here is the bike before I started with the conversion.

Here is the kit: a BBS02 with 48v 13.5ah Shark battery, 48 tooth sprocket, shift sensor & thumb throttle. I have purchased a 52 tooth sprocket that I will likely put on in the future, since it seems that the bike would be geared better for the kind of riding I do.

Removing the bottom bracket. I was not able to get the BB loose with the tool I had - not enough leverage. So I hauled the bike to Rock N Road Cyclery and paid them a small fee, they were very helpful. They had to put it on a stand and basically vice a BB removal tool to it and then use the whole bike as leverage. He said it had been factory assembled without grease and would have been almost impossible for me to get it off at home.

Once past that the rest of the assembly went pretty smooth. I do wish I had purchased the Luna BBS02/HD wrench (I have one now), but I was able to get things tight enough with a beer faucet wrench I have.

When I got to the point of connecting the battery to the motor wires I got out the soldering iron. Apologize that I did not take photos of that process. I have a lot of soldering experience so this was not a problem for me, but I can imagine for someone else it might be a stumbling block. The crimp connector method that Luna has a video on would certainly be a good alternative.

With the wiring completed, I purchased some 30mm diameter heat shrink tubing that would encase the harness & connector. I used my wife's hair dryer to shrink it:

Here is the shift sensor installed. I used some double sided tape and tie-wraps to mount it; it works very well to smooth out your ride.

I am very pleased with the way the completed bike looks and rides. Here it is in with the luggage rack, which I usually only attach when commuting.

Nice Clean Build! Seems like a great choice for a Bike, too. I am down I-5 south from you so I know all about hilly commuting.

Since you mention the 52t upgrade, my question is what size is your largest rear cog? I have the lekkie ring up front and a 30t big rear gear on a 29er bike, and still feel like my RPM's are a little low on steeper climbs. I already have a 34t big gear cassette on the way hoping that will make a tiny difference.

Comment

The rear cassette is spec'd as "Wide-ratio Shimano 11-34 9 speed cassette".

Here is the bike and all it's specs:

https://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/...r/astoria-2016

Comment

Well documented and very clean looking build. I have posted a photo in our pictorial thread.

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...ictorial/page4

Comment

Have you tried riding your new E-Bike up Pacific Island Drive yet? I race you up it when I get mine done!

Comment

Working...
          X