• Show
Clear All

Yeah that looks like it will work

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_06_12_12_46_36_ProShot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	37640

Maybe I can get a better angle on the photo now that I know exactly what you are after.

Comment

Thanks calfee! Did you determine what the issue is with your Sturmey-Archer 5spd? Did you take it apart over the weekend?

Comment

I took it partially apart. There is a large special wrench needed to complete disassembly. I started to feel like I was running down a rabbit hole so I put the fat bike project on hold again. I switched everything back to my standard cruiser. I really should make a thread on my experience with two different S-A hubs.

I worked for a small tool repair shop for a few years. It is sometimes difficult to know when to cut your losses and run. If you have a tool that is $100 you don't have much of a margin to work with. If the repaired price is $75 the customer will say forget it I'll buy a new one.

I am getting into the same situation with this S-A hub. Should I chase this problem and spend time and money or should I just lace a new hub. The lack of knowledge and parts is problematic when trying to work on this NEW hub. I am still trying to decide what to do.
        Last edited by calfee20; 06-13-2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well perhaps I gave them a bad rap. I had only tried contacting by phone, several calls and no reply. Electra and a few other manufactures had been great on the phone so I guess I was spoiled. I sent a brief email and they have sent back a brief reply. I will compose a long shopping list from all of us this weekend. I will see if I can get a contact for sprockets and a trigger shifter..........calfee

• Rider
          Rider commented
          Editing a comment
          Wonderful! I didn't get anything more than a computer generated response when asking about where to locate a 5spd trigger shifter. I'm in for one of those and a 1/8" 24T rear IGH sprocket. I'd prefer a 3/32" 24T DISHED, but I don't think they make the 24T in anything but 1/8" FLAT for the new 5spd larger center hole IGH. Hope they come through...
          Last edited by Rider; 06-17-2017, 01:24 PM. Reason: correction

• theronchaplin
          theronchaplin commented
          Editing a comment
          I've sent several emails and have received nada. If you actually get a hold of a contact, let em know you've got at least 2 others who would like to be customers LOL

Well the email is off. We will have to see what happens now. Here is what I sent

Last year I built an electric bike based on a Bafang BBSHD. It has a maximum of 1500 watts. After a couple of months I built a wheel with one of your CS-RF3 hubs and it has worked flawlessly for over 1000 miles. The bike is a standard Aluminum frame Electra cruiser. Here is the build thread if you are interested. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/ebike-building-directions/7325-bbshd-on-an-electra-cruiser/page4

This year I decided to build a fat tired version of the same bike and decided to use your RXL-RD5. I felt that one lower and one higher gear would be perfect. Here is a piece of my order confirmation email from Universal Cycles. I ordered the hub 12/22/16

******** Items Ordered ********

Item #: 41895-96175
        Description: Sturmey-Archer Internal Gear Hub Cogs - 18t x 3/32" Coaster Brake Cog (Dished)
        Quantity: 1 @ $3.00

Item #: 41895-184101
        Description: Sturmey-Archer Internal Gear Hub Cogs - 22t x 3/32" Coaster Brake Cog (Flat)
        Quantity: 1 @ $5.00

Item #: 76030-181842
        Description: Sturmey-Archer BLS81 Brake Levers - Pair (Silver)
        Quantity: 1 @ $17.00

Item #: 79844-191390
        Description: Sturmey-Archer RXL-RD5 5 Speed Drum Brake Hub - 135mm x 36 Hole x Bolt-On (Silver)
        Quantity: 1 @ $128.00

********* Order Total *********

$153.00 - Product Total
        $0.00 - Sales Tax
        $0.00 - Shipping

$153.00 - Order Total

Once I had the bike built I switched all of the electrical parts over to the new bike. The build thread is here. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/ebike-building-directions/21059-bbshd-on-an-electra-cruiser-lux-fat-tire-7d/page2

Everything was great except for an occasional slip or downshift in 4th and sometimes in 5th. It does not happen all the time and never when you just shift. The shifts are positive and it is after pedaling a bit that the slip occurs. It might increase in frequency as the hub gets warmer. I put 100 miles on it and then gave up and switched everything back to the old bike

I have the yellow marks lined up in second gear and there is no sticking of the shift cable. I never shift under power. I am 68 and ride mostly on dedicated bike paths. I tried with the marks both slightly ahead and behind and there was no difference. I tested the bike on the stand by pushing the shift lever after every shift to see if it would move or engage more and found no such behavior. The hub never saw more than 750 watts.

There has been quite a bit of interest about this hub on the forum and three other members are actively working with the hub. The most important questions have been where a supply of sprockets may be found in the USA. I tried ordering 4 sprockets from Great Britain and nothing arrived. I did get my money back on that order though. The other thing everyone asks about is your trigger shifter the DLC50. Where can we get them?

I hope this long winded reply answers all of your questions. The most important response to this email is where we can get small parts like sprockets, snap rings for outside the hub, or different shifters. These are wear and tear replacement parts. One member, a mountain biker had a chain derail and it ripped off the shift lever. That hub is sitting on a shelf somewhere now.

I am waiting for your reply with great interest.

Comment

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          No I have another idea. I think that hub will turn into spare parts.

• g725s
          g725s commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you considered just going back to either the stock derailleur or an upgraded derailleur. It just works.

Is a hub like the Sturmey-Archer your trying to get working there really worth it? Seems you've had to put a lot into it so far and now your stranded on the side of the road so to speak.
          Last edited by g725s; 06-24-2017, 10:17 AM.

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Like I said I have a new plan. I almost went with the stock wheel. It would have been done in an hour. However I really don't like derailleurs on Ebikes.

Well it has been two months. Time to get back to the fat cruiser. I fixed up the shop some. It is more organized so I have more room to move around. It was my wood shop but now with the table saw out of the way it is much nicer.

Name:	2017_08_19_15_42_17_ProShot.jpg
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	42978

I actually have a real bike stand now. I took my old wheel apart and now I have to take measurements and get some spokes. This is as far as I have gone at the present time.

Name:	2017_08_19_16_38_30_ProShot.jpg
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	42979

Well it is nice out to day time for a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
          Well it has been two months. Time to get back to the fat cruiser. I fixed up the shop some. It is more organized so I have more room to move around. It was my wood shop but now with the table saw out of the way it is much nicer.

Name:	2017_08_19_15_42_17_ProShot.jpg
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	42978

I actually have a real bike stand now. I took my old wheel apart and now I have to take measurements and get some spokes. This is as far as I have gone at the present time.

Name:	2017_08_19_16_38_30_ProShot.jpg
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	42979

Well it is nice out to day time for a ride.
          Dude are you stockpiling ammo

Comment

What is that big bad boy replacing the S-A 5spd IGH? Did S-A ever get back to you or your LBS regarding the skipping/slipping hub? Is the 5spd out of the picture for good? I see something in the top of your MATCO toolbox???

Oh yeah, I'm jealous of your new bike stand. Makes my bungee cords from the rafters method seem rather hokey...
            Last edited by Rider; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

That is a S-A 5 spd hub with a DD motor wrapped around it.

Name:	TDCM_IGH_Example.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	43239

I am keeping my old hub for spare parts, actually because of you. The problems you had trying to secure a nut...........well I will keep a $125 hub for spare parts. Lance Tesla has one of these sitting on a shelf because the plastic shifting hook got ripped off.

Comment

I thought your LBS returned your S-A 5spd IGH to get it replaced? The only problem I had getting the simple external axle nuts and washers was with the LBS’s I dealt with. Those parts could have been easily sourced myself on eBay or the main west coast S-A parts supplier myself. I made the mistake of thinking a LBS would be able to get the parts quicker and easier than I could. Sadly that resulted in wasting 3+ weeks of my time. I won’t make that mistake again. What I eventually ended up doing is simply ordering the parts on eBay and had them in a few days. That’s what I should have done from day one for most external wear parts.

I find eBay is one of the BEST sources for bicycle and ebike parts; always cheaper than Ama-con. There is a reason many start the CEO’s last name with an “F” instead of a “Z”! IMHO Ama-con is ruining America (and personal privacy) one click at a time, and isn’t held accountable for anything; including its' massive debt (but I digress…).

Internal parts may require going through a S-A supplier. One of these places should be able to set you up with any S-A parts needed (sent to me from Sturmey-Archer/SunRace a while back):

http://sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspo...nd-retail.html

BikeToolsEtc looks like a good source for stuff as well:
                http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi

What S-A IGH has a “plastic” shifter arm? They are clearly metal on my rotary shifter S-A IGH. I don't see ANY plastic parts on my S-A IGH's.

That new rear wheel electric motor with S-A 5spd IGH bolted into the center is an interesting product. I read a little about the joint project that targets low price point city ebikes. Very curious how that works out without leveraging the gears like a mid-drive does. Probably just fine for city and light dirt road use and stated to be quiet just like the BBS02's. What is the weight of the motor itself?

My light weight Electra Lux that I could throw around and on top of my car easily is now a heavy electric beast. I hope to weigh it at a LBS with and without the claimed 11lb. 21Ah battery soon.

I like your new unique system and am looking forward to its’ completion and ride report.

Comment

• Rider
                  Rider commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will take your word for it. It looks like black steel, but it certainly could be a composite of some type.

Do you know their reasoning for making it out of a non-metallic material? Possibly a self lubricating material or so it doesn't rust in place and stick???

• calfee20
                  calfee20 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't you think for a moment that it was an engineering choice. It is all done for profit.

• Rider
                  Rider commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well you must still have confidence in the S-A 5spd since you just bought another one.

Thank you so much for this thread! All this great info. You are completely responsible for inspiring me to get started with my own BBSHD powered Electra Fat Cruiser.

One question: did you ever consider using the Sturmey Archer SK-RK3?

Comment

Yes I did. Last year I thought 3 speeds was all I needed for my flat land style riding. As time has gone on however my riding style has changed. I am using more power " higher assist levels" and I find myself needing a wider range of ratios especially if I get into some hills.

I have a CS-RF3 which is a 3 spd with a cassette. I get into it on this thread http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-cruiser/page4 I have a close ratio cassette with 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 tooth sprockets. I find myself using the 14 the most but 13,14,and 15 are the most important and sometimes I jump to 21, or 23 to ride over grass or through short hay fields.

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Of course when I pick a sprocket I use the three speed part around that. So that hub gives me a 3 spd that carries all sprocket combos with it.

• ilikebikes
                    ilikebikes commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah I see. Nice.

Not wanting the complexity of making it fit, willing to sacrifice range, and given the strong design of the sa hubs, I will go for the sk-rk3.

Do you know or think it will line up good?

Thanks again, all the information and details you have provided is invaluable.

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Every once in a while I miss a question and I apologize. Yes the S-A SX-RK3 should be an easy fit on the Fat Electra and it should make a nice symmetrical wheel.

I was thinking about how that bud motor connects to the S-A 5spd and think you may have a really good setup for how you plan to ride it. With the hub motor attached to the outside housing of the S-A 5spd, the motor doesn't leverage the gears like a mid-drive, but that will also put less stress on the IGH gears. The only stress on the IGH gears will be from your pedaling. This will result in little to no wear on the IGH internals, at the sacrifice of the leverage you get from a mid-drive. I think you will like the result very much for throttle use like a moped/motorcycle.

Does S-A publish a weight for this system; with and without IGH? What does this combo cost? Thx.

Comment

Well plan B went down the tubes so it is on to plan C.

I spent a day taking measurements and making accurate scale drawings and I have decided I can't use that motor on this project. In short there is no way I can combine an adapter because of my wide dropouts while maintaining a good chain line. If I had a good chain line I would not be able to spoke a proper wheel. The rim would be offset to much for proper strength at least to my eye.

This motor is kind of narrow across the flanges as opposed to the previous hub the S-A 5 spd with the drum brake. The drum brake forced the hub to have very wide flanges which gave me a perfect wheel. All 36 spokes were the same length.

Well here is plan C

Name:	2017_08_27_15_14_53_ProShot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	43711

This is an Edge 1500 that Spinningmagnets started a thread on and he also wrote an article about the hub. The forum thread goes 7 pages and is here. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-aluminum-core The article about the hub is here. http://www.electricbike.com/edge-1500w/

Green werks has also built no less than three projects with this hub and he has nothing but good things to say about it. I bought this hub on speculation. In other words I had no idea where it was going to go.

Here is the cool thing. The spacing on this hub is set for 135mm but the threaded part of the axle is so long that when I place the hub for proper chain line everything is nicely centered in my 165mm dropouts.

This hub came through laced to a 26 inch narrow rim and this bike has fat tires so I started to disassemble the wheel. I loosened all of the spokes but spinning the nipples off was giving problems and starting to tic me off. I then realized I would never reuse these spokes so out came my old farmers fencing pliers and I cut the wheel apart.

Name:	2017_08_27_14_56_26_ProShot.jpg
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	43712

Ohhh the Horror!!!

Don't worry about the other hub I already have a plan A and a plan B for it.

Comment

• Rider
                    Rider commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol... I actually sat down on the floor in front of a golf match with my Deore rear cassette Velocity Dually built wheel, and loosened each spoke just a little in the same way you lace them on the proper side. Eventually everything loosened up enough to speed up the process. Because it was a brand new wheel, I reused the DT Swiss black brass nipples and saved the DT Swiss 2 spokes in case I want to put the Deore cassette hub back in the wheel at some point. It wasn't too bad of a chore, but did take some time, so a good sporting event on the boob tube is recommended. It also provided some good "Crown Time" (lol..., with Cola), but get all your counting out of the way before the Crown kicks in! ;-)

This build will be finished in the Direct Drive Hub section. Here: http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...an-electra-fat

Comment

Working...
                  X