X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS02 kit to Dahon Speed D7 (Mariner)

Inspired by Dahon Mariner on this post,

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...=8078#post8078

But unable to find a build thread, the 2016 Black Friday sale made me push thru with my own with the guidance of Spinning Magnets' thread

https://www.electricbike.com/removin...ket-cartridge/

Attached Files
    Last edited by Potenza; 12-08-2016, 03:33 PM.

Used the Luna tool kit for most of Spinning Magnet's techniques.

Encountered a problem with the Dahon castle nut ring. Resorted to old-school tap with screwdriver and hammer

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161208_132838~01.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	23781

Comment

Can't find a matching tool in the Luna toolkit for this Dahon

Comment

I was able to remove the bottom bracket assembly and slid in the BBS02 motor

Comment

Most went on smoothly until I encountered the motor connector to the Shark pack connector not matching. I'll have to order the XT90-S pigtails for this

Comment

The gear cable has a one piece housing and I couldn't slide a wire to the gear sensor. I hope the brake cut off works to smoothen the gear changes even without the gear sensor.

Anyway, with the battery connector setback and my hands and nose numb from the cold, this build would have to wait.

Comment

With a two week wait for the connectors, Gary of Luna's tip and mr4x4s video at the 22 minute mark https://youtu.be/z2jkEOCSXmQ, I soldered the BMS wires to the cradle.

Comment

Laughing ho ho ho in my test drive and fetched my child from school.

Could not fold as close as it was before. Anyway, I've made a pizza, pharmacy and grocery quick commuter out of my bike on a hilly locale.

Comment

Well done!

How do you like the Dahon folder with the BBS02? You say you live in the hills--how hilly?

Finally, how many teeth up front? Do you get solid revolutions such that the BBS02 doesn't have to work too hard? (high rpm?)

Comment

I like my modified folding bicycle a lot more now. My area has 45 to 60 degree hills and I was able to pull up with my kid riding pillion on the rear rack.

I used a 52 tooth front chain ring. I am using the rear gears to keep the motor from working too hard.

Comment

Just want to post my experience after converting my Dahon speed d7 (After reading this thread and know that it's a viable conversion. Thanks, Potenza)

Apology for not taking any photos, I was too consumed doing the conversion that it totally escaped me that I would post a write-up after the build.

Just give you guys some background, I have never done any bike maintenance before and I only recently want to ride my bike more often (it was sitting in my storage for years)

Originally I want to let my LBS to help me install the Bafang, but they are not interested, probably because of the hassle and liability. Anyway, I need to be able to fix things down the road so it's a good exercise to convert it myself.

Bought the bbs02 + battery combo from luna ($$$ shipping and tax for CA). I read some online complaints that the kit doesn't come with any instruction, and I can understand why, because each bike is different. However, searching bbs02 installation on youtube, the first hit is a huge help.

I also bought a bunch of stuff for the project:

Bike Hand repair stand and Bike Hand assortment Bike Repair Toolkit (only useful tools inside for this conversion are tire levers, hex keys, the chain breaker and the crank puller) from Amazon.

I had a flat just not long ago and it was a pain to take off the wheels because the speed d7 doesn't have a quick disconnect. And with a small wrench, there is not enough leverage to do this easily on the road. So to minimize the hassle I ordered 2 new marathon plus 20" tires and new tubes from UK online retailer. The marathon plus tires are very beefy and a bit bigger than the stock tires. I had to bend the fender as it was rubbing on the tires. Hopefully, they do their job as they are even harder to remove and put back on than the stock tires.

The first mistake: should have taken the pedals off while the cranks are still in the bracket so I can use leverage. After taking the cranks off, it's very difficult to remove the pedal. Had to go to LBS since I don't have a vice/workbench at home.

Mistake #2: My crank puller has a round metal insert that I didn't know I can take off. It's probably for a crank with a bigger center hole. I ended up pressing that insert way deep into the center and took a lot of effort to remove. Rookie mistake for not knowing how to use a tool properly.

After the cranks are off, I ran into the obvious obstacle, the bottom bracket. It has a 6 spoke shape and none of the park tool bottom bracket remover fits. I tried using the hammer + screwdriver method but it's hard to apply force on that tiny edge. Ended up chipping away lots of paints and scrub metal. Again had to take it to LBS and they somehow use the same hammer+screwdriver method but of course in a more skillful way.

For the other side of the bottom bracket, I put the bike upside down and use my body weight to push down the wrench.

Putting the bbs02 in and wiring it up is easy peasy compared to removing the BB/crank and other adjustments. Need the luna wrench to secure the lock ring though.

Mistake #3: I broke the old chain at the wrong spot. Should have broken the worn connecting pivot pin, but I was inexperienced and was only looking for the master link. I couldn't find the master link, so I thought any pin is as good as the next.

Next, I bought a new SRAM 8-speed chain from LBS and thought they would install for free (I didn't ask), had I known otherwise, I would try it myself first (and probably failed to get the right length to break the new chain...).

One good info I got from having the LBS installing the chain is that the technician told me the Bafang chainring is pushing the chain line outward, and I shouldn't use the lowest 3 gears as it will wear out the components and the chain very fast.

I probably would not notice this myself (again, inexperienced). now my 7-speed folding bike becomes a 4-speed folding e-bike. I actually prefer to have preserved the lowest 3 gears instead of the highest 3 because my goal is to have the motor help me get through the hilly climbs.

My bike would still climb, but it's going to wear out the motor faster and without the lowest 3 gears I would not be as efficient pedaling uphill myself with the extra weight :(
                      This is the biggest let down of this conversion.

Anyway, there's a lot of work if you're not adept at working on your bike.
                      My derailleur is still not aligned properly (i adjusted the H screw both ways all night and it didn't fix the highest gear alignment), and the new brake handle is too loose.
                      If I cannot fix these two issues I will probably take it to the LBS again.
                      Quite depressing really, that I need to get so much help and took multiple trips to LBS, even I have the tools to do most things.

Hopefully, this will help the next clueless guy trying to get the Bafang kit on their Dahon.

Comment

Working...
                      X