Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kocho
    replied
    Thanks. I mounted my battery's base with 4 M5 screws. The first pair fits in the factory bottle holder holes. I drilled metal cover of the base for these. Higher up forward the Hailong-3 case provides a thick aluminum rail, predrilled, for two more bolts. I drilled the frame and put a pair of M5 rivnuts there too. The battery case installation feels solid this way. The Hailong-3 is big, I still have space to easily take it off and slide it back on, bu it is bigger than the Shark cases. The Hailong-3 might be a very tight fit on an L-size frame or not fit at all due to the suspension. On my XL-size, not a problem.

As for cable stops, my rear triangle has none - they are all through cable holders, the cable housing goes through them, so I have to use full length cable housing for the derailleur and rear disk brake (when I get to swap one in for the current V brake).
    Last edited by Kocho; 06-25-2017, 05:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    Hey thanks for that link. My Nutsert kit uses that style insert, but that is the first time I have seen hole diameters vary for material thickness.

• e-rod
    replied
    Been awhile, great lake trip! The rear triangle does have cable stops, on both frames, and a hose mount on the other side. You can remove the plastic cover from the mount and drill through the aluminum box. I would still mount the original holes in the plastic. Mine is just the two screws and rubber shims through the plastic. A little wiggley, but not a problem yet. I did install rivnuts, love them, frame is stronger! http://www.hansonrivet.com/threaded-...eaded-inserts/ there is a simple tool to install them. Can't find the link to it. search the site here and learn about rivnuts and tools. happy motoring, e-rod

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Hey, I noticed that on your rear derailleur cable on the rear triangle you seem to have cable stops. Meaning, you don't use a full length housing and have the cable exposed between the cable housing stops.

Re these stops built-in on the rear triangle for you, like they are on the main frame? Or did you put some inserts yourself?

Another question: is your shark battery case held in place just by the three or four screws? With the round tube it seems a shaky proposition... I'm considering building some sort of side to side support for the battery case bracket to make it sit on the round tube a bit ore securely. I'll probably start with some sort of large cable ties, but then I won'the be able to remove the battery easily...

Leave a comment:

• e-rod
    replied
    things have changed so much since I built a bike. two years ago. I think I was one of the first members on this forum. I have tried to keep up my studies, but Wow! I started with the ncrb(sp) shark. It will get hot if beat. Now, with 52v 24ah GA, I can get the motor nice and warm, never been to hot to touch (140?). The battery gets warm on one side. But your going quite a bit faster. I beat it hard on 4 miles of steep road coming back from town, not much pedaling. No problem. It's amazing. I mostly ride around my place, got trails all over the place now. Always a thrill! happy Motoring E-rod

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    I will probably do that. But first plan to use the 160mm that I got off craigslist to see how it is, keeping the rear v-brake. Will likely move the 160mm to the rear and install the 203mm in the front.

I'm getting setup with the 52V Hailong 3 17.5Ah battery, which will be a little lighter than your triangle pack, but still quite beefy - figured it would be more easily transferable to another bike, should I ever make another ebike (which I might, if a nice quiet mid-drive kit with good torque sensing appears - there is one out by Tongsheng (sp.?) but it has mixed reviews and not as much support as the BBSHD and less power). I like that these new batteries are 5p instead of 4p - shold be less stress on the cells, less heating, and longer life, hopefully.

Originally posted by e-rod View Post
    If you need a pedal bike then keep the turner for that. Good bikes. I think you want to electrify it though, Use your best stuff! You will ride it everywhere, all the time, and appreciate it more with the bbshd! cool, e-rod

Leave a comment:

• e-rod
    commented on 's reply
    put the big 203mm discs on it, it's cheap and you will love it. Your bike might weight 70lbs with a big GA battery in that triangle and some gear on a rack,or your back. you will be going fast! and loving that Turner!

• e-rod
    replied
    If you need a pedal bike then keep the turner for that. Good bikes. I think you want to electrify it though, Use your best stuff! You will ride it everywhere, all the time, and appreciate it more with the bbshd! cool, e-rod

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Man these bikes are nice! Not a featherweight, but solid. Mine in the XL size weights at 32 lb with fenders and low-end wheels, tires and other parts, only the fork and pedals are light-ish... I just finished my build of the bike (not ebike parts yet, wanted to see if it would fit me well for riding first). I don't have much experience with full suspension bikes, but the rear on this feels really good and solid. Soaks-up bumps on bad pavement very well. With the easy independent preload, rebound, and compression adjustments it can really be dialed-in perfectly. My front suspension is basic spring Rock Shox Indy C and in comparison with the rear it feels rough :) So I just both a medium-grade air suspension fork to hopefully be a better match for the nice rear suspension. Plus, that new fork would let me put a disk brake instead of the V brake.

I think the Turner will make a very good platform for ebike, but I'm still debating if I just keep it like that to ride about, and instead put the motor on a semi-recumbent Giant... The issue with the Giant is that it sucks on any hill or curbs or tight turns, and would need to be very dependent on the motor and thus need more battery. Where with the Turner hills and curbs are no issue and actually enjoyable...

Leave a comment:

• e-rod
    replied
    Hi Kocho, My frame measures 20" center of bb to top of seat post. I like it so much I bought another one also 20". Both 2008. A guy needs one for a friend, right? Yes I believe I used the 68-73mm kit. It fit with a little grinding! the swing arm showed a C shape where it hit the motor, I remove a bit of material at the ends of the C shape. No problems after many miles. No shims or spacers. I have a 9 sp cassette with mighty mini sprocket,which I recommend, still goes about 30mph, it is lined up perfectly in 6th gear, but no problem at all in any gear. I mostly leave it in 4th gear, with this much power you don't need to shift much. Really. With 21" you can fit that 24ah GA battery like I did. This bike is great! I have a build thread with pictures on the forum. happy motoring, e-rod

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Probably the more important question: you installed the 68mm BBSHD, right? It is 73mm BB. Where does the chain align with the Luna front ring? I mean, on which rear ring you get straight chain? Mine is a 7 speed cassette in the back so I am hoping to align with the 3 or possibly the 4th ring in the rear.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Thanks! Now that I have received the frame and mostly built it, I see there is lots of space indeed. Mine is slightly different, probably an '02 frame with a Fox Vanilla RC. And the cables are under the top tube not above it on mine. But seems similar size to yours. It is 21" measured from the edge on top of the seat tube to middle of the crank bolt (center of BB). I got maybe 3" of rise on my handlebars. I have only ridden it once down fill on the local street without a seat and without pedalling, since I need a new seat post and my chain is still off, but I like the feel of the rear suspension.

Leave a comment:

• e-rod
    replied
    you should be able to fit any battery you want. I don't know how to or where to measure a frame. As you can see in my avatar, I now have a 24ah 52v GA battery mounted in a box in the triangle.I made a post about it in "building a battery box" It's great, I can hang the shark under the frame and really go somewhere. I like it so much I found and bought another 08 Turner to make another ebike. got to have one for a friend, right? I did buy a shock pump and got the sag right. very nice! Tell me where to measure and I will tell you what size it is! handlebars are 5" rise and very comfortable, all the wires fit, but I did need to cut one brake line longer as I switched to left hand rear brake. happy motoring E-rod

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    What size frame is this? I just bought a used 21" Turner frame, I guess 2002 model or thereabouts, which should have more than enough space for the shark pack.

Also, what handlebars are you using? Looks like quite a bit of rise.

Did you sort out the rear shock sag issue?

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    replied
    Great Job...this is one of the few succesful builds i have seen of a full suspension bike with a shark pack...real rarity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X