Sturmey-Archer 5 speed +cassette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sturmey-Archer 5 speed +cassette?

Does anyone know if I can run the SA 5 speed internal gear hub along with a regular 9 or whatever speed rear cassette as well?

It's a standard mountain bike frame, 135mm ?

Thanks in advance, George
    Last edited by mbtuner; 02-08-2017, 04:08 PM.

No it takes a single cog at a time that unfortunately is unique to the hub.

Comment

Thanks for your time. Remind me what you're running?

Comment

There is a possibility with some welding and or machine work to get two or three sprockets on an IGH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BWR-SRF31.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	27677
        http://sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html

Comment

There is a 3 speed hub available that takes a 8/9 speed cassette-CS-RK3 disc brake or CS-RK3 rim brake-check out the Sturmey Archer website.

Comment

• FatMarty
            FatMarty commented
            Editing a comment
            That hub also accepts a ten speed cassette :-)

With a 130 spider and 52 38 rings i did not see a reason to go for the 10 speed cassette. Just keeping at 9 now. 54 speed vs 60 seemed oberkill....... You dont need as many gears when you have electric assist. After my first ten minutes on this hub i can see i will probably only use 3 of them. Unless i see a hill. Up or down. Back to limiting speed. Except on holidays.

Comment

I believe calfee is using the hybrid sturmey also.
            But latest project is the probably heavier duty newer 5 speed sturmey archer.

Waiting to hear how that works out.

Comment

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              Cold weather is slowing me down.

Spring started yesterday. That -should- warm things up a bit.
            That sa hybrid sits right in the middle of cassette on the 52 ring when taking longer distances. On the 38 in town in a hurry stop and go. Again in the middle of cassette.
            Use the three speed constantly but the cogs are really helpful in fine tuning hills. Pedaling at higher speeds. Never should have wasted time and money on other stuff. Should be a first to do.

Comment

I have a bbshd and 24v triangle battery both with XT-90 connectors and I want to hardwire 2 lights (front and rear) to the bike. I have zero electrical experience. With that being said, is there a way I can hardwire a

light or 2 to my ebike set up in such a way wherein the risk that I mess up the battery is low? I was thinking to buy a something like a plug and play male to 3 female chord so that I could plug in both the battery and

lights.

What is your 2 cents?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Coolo118 View Post
                I have a bbshd and 24v triangle battery both with XT-90 connectors and I want to hardwire 2 lights (front and rear) to the bike. I have zero electrical experience. With that being said, is there a way I can hardwire a

light or 2 to my ebike set up in such a way wherein the risk that I mess up the battery is low? I was thinking to buy a something like a plug and play male to 3 female chord so that I could plug in both the battery and

lights.

What is your 2 cents?

Thanks!
                Try this thread http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-a-frame/page2 Actually this one may be better. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...hp?f=2&t=75171
                Last edited by calfee20; 04-06-2018, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coolo118 View Post
                  I have a bbshd and 24v triangle battery both with XT-90 connectors and I want to hardwire 2 lights (front and rear) to the bike.
                  I didn't even realize you could run a BBSHD at 24V. Works OK?

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You have to assume he is referring to Luna's 24 amp GA triangle.
                Working...
                X