E brake cut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E brake cut off

Guys bit of a problem if you don't mind helping me out.... As you know I bought the e bike with all the parts motor and controller, and the brakes that came with it as I expected are trash..... Now I don't mind getting new brakes but what do I do about the brake sensor that turns off power to the motor is that a big deal if I don't have that anymore?

I was looking at the tektro dorado hd-e710 that come with a sensor butt I would have a bit of trouble wiring it.
    Last edited by Electricbiker100; 05-07-2017, 06:01 PM.

There's several ways to add sensors to levers or simply buy levers with eBrake switching but I don't know what you bought so for me to advise anything specific I'll need more details.

Comment

I have the Tektro Dorado HD-E710 brakes on all four of my bikes and the cutoff works perfectly. I recommend buying the HD-E710 brakes and persevering with the wiring. The wiring is not too difficult; I would even say that it is intuitive. What controller do you have?

Comment

My controller has only one e-brake connector emanating from the controller; this connector has only two wires.

When I wired up my Tektros, each brake lever had a positive and ground wire coming out of it. I joined the two positives into one hot wire, and I did the same with the two ground wires into so that a single positive and a single ground went to the controller.

Looking at your photos, it looks like you should keep the wiring for the left and right levers separate. At your controller, connect the positive wires to the red pins and the ground wires to the black pin at your controller and you're good to go.

The intuition part here is that when you activate a brake lever, it closes a circuit which sends a signal to the controller to cut power to the motor as long as the e-brake circuit is closed.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 05-08-2017, 03:51 AM.

Comment

• Electricbiker100
      Electricbiker100 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol I barely understand electronics but you made it pretty clear for me and simple to understand..... So when I get the two brake levers they will both cone with their separate wiring and each wire will have a positive and a ground coming out of it, I just have to match up the positive and ground with the controller wire plug it in and then I'll be good to go correct?

Oh and random question, just to make sure my current brakes are trash, when I press and hold my brake levers all the way should I be able to still spin my wheels with my hand while the bike is flipped over?
      Last edited by Electricbiker100; 05-08-2017, 06:28 AM.

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      Your summary is correct. I forgot to add that the two wires coming out of each Tektro brake lever are the same color. It doesn't matter which wire you assign red and black. You just arbitrarily assign red and black identity to the wires, and then complete the installation. This is the case because you are just closing a circuit here.

I am not so familiar with electronics, either, but I was present when my electronics tech was wiring most of my bikes. I had a front row seat, so to speak, and I remember being surprised that both of the wires emanating from my Tektro brake levers were identical. I told him that I found this odd, and he said "We're just closing a loop here, it doesn't matter which is which".
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 05-08-2017, 10:00 AM.

• commuter ebikes
      Editing a comment
      Regarding being able to spin the brakes by hand: no, you should definitely not be able to spin the brakes by hand with the brake lever pressed. Perhaps they are out of adjustment?

In any case, investing money in the most effective brakes that your bike can accommodate and keeping them adjusted properly is almost as important as wearing a helmet.

Almost all of my emergency braking is to avoid hitting an automobile so the question of braking involves whether I arrive safely at my destination or not.

What kind of brakes do you have? You should be able to lock the brakes when you pull the levers. They may simply need to be serviced or adjusted.

Comment

• Electricbiker100
      Electricbiker100 commented
      Editing a comment
      The brakes that came with the motor and controller where zoom brakes, there not American, and I figured they weren't going to be good and I had to replace them. They are hydraulic and I am almost a hundred percent sure that they just need to be bled and adjusted but since it's not American I can't find any kind of help on how to bleed them and so on.... The guy that sold it to me said he might be able to help me out in a few days, I'll give that a try but if that doesn't work than I might as well upgrade to better brakes it's a fast bike I need to be safe...

• commuter ebikes
      Editing a comment
      YouTube has numerous instructional videos on how to bleed brakes.

Definitely appreciate the help guys.. Another problem hopefully out the way and well see what happens next I'll keep you guys updated..

Comment

Working...
    X