Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIKK Fat Tire Cruiser with Bafrang BBSHD - Planning

Hello everyone!

I'm a total newb to all of this. I'm a web developer who tinkers with Arduino, and in the process of outfitting my SIKK multi-speed fat tire cruiser with hundreds of multicolored lights controlled with Arduino, different modes include sound-reactive and pre-programmed sequences with randomized logic.

I live in Boulder, CO where we have the Happy Thursday Night Cruise. People deck their bikes out in lights, wear costumes, and tool around town in a what's basically a big rolling party. There are different themes. This week is Vikings. The best, and most popular one, is the lingerie ride in August. Visit then.

I got the bike last December for $499 shipped, multi-speed, with the green wheels. Shortly afterwards I got a Flashforge Creator Pro 3D printer so I could start making the custom pieces I want for it. And although I need to re-print them in ABS plastic that won't deform in the sun like PLA will, I was able to design and print out custom fenders by gluing pieces together. For the printer I have black filament and a bright green filament that matches the bike's fluorescent green. NinjaFlex makes a flexible version of this same green, and while I haven't played with it yet, it would be perfect for making custom handlebar grips.

SIKK Fat Tire Cruisers:
    http://www.fattirebikes.com/mens-fat-tire-cruisers.html

So I've got this bike, all these electronics, and I'm using a deep purple flexible filament to print customs mounts that hold light strips. The front fork is done with 98 RGBW lights installed, wired, tested, and connected to a little 3-pin JST connector waiting for the electronics. Ultraviolet light makes the green on this bike really light up, so I ordered a 12v UV LED strip, printed black half-circle pieces that bolt together over the hub, hold 8xAA, have a small switch, and are encircled by the UV strip. Those are also done.

The more I've been working on this, the more I realized it's gonna be my fun bike, not my exercise bike, and the amount of weight I'll ultimately add with lights, prints, electronics and enough batteries to run it for a few hours, will potentially make it a beast to pedal. Yadda yadda yadda I find myself here reading through tons of articles and blog posts, increasing my understanding of all this craziness and coming up with a plan of attack. I started setting on the BBSHD, wasn't sure if it would work with this bike, and found SDharlie's post on doing exactly that:

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...h-bafang-1000w

I owe this man a beer. Everything I want to do is entirely possible, now it's a matter of planning. I'm planning on documenting the build here, but rather than plan things out in my little sketchbook I figure I'll just do it out loud here and get some feedback from you folks on the horrible, horrible mistakes I'm probably about to make without realizing it. I already figured out not to bother with making my own power switch because it'll melt; that much I get. :)

I've played with RC cars and helicopters so I have some experience with LiPO's, and enough caution to avoid putting them right under my taint. I was gonna use NiMH's for the LED's, but if I'm going in the e-bike direction, then I'll just be down stepping 52v to the 12v and 5v I need.

Here's my current plan of attack:
    http://lunacycle.com/motors/mid-driv...mid-drive-kit/
    - 100-120 (Extra fat)
    - Gearsensor for derailer
    - Hydraulic ebrake sensor
    - Left twist throttle
    - C965 display upgrade
    - Mighty Mini 30T chain ring

Battery - I was originally leaning towards the 52v Panasonic Bottle Battery, but for a few hundred more and another five pounds I can go with the Panasonic 52v 24ah triangle pack:
    http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs...er-long-range/

With the Luna Charger 52v.

With the zip-tie version of the bag, because you guys don't like the velcro one as much!

SDharlie has the right idea, the existing brakes aren't exactly great and I want something better for when this puppy is powered:
    http://lunacycle.com/parts/bicycle-p...brake-cut-off/

Probably gonna start with the LunaCycle Watt Meter:
    http://lunacycle.com/batteries/guage...le-watt-meter/

I'm gonna order some XT90 connectors and a few meters of 12 gauge silicone wire

For my electronics, I need 12v for the Arduino Mega, Arduino Uno with a touch screen, and small 40-watt amp. It'll be contained in a faux gas canister I'm going to print out and assemble. So for that power requirement, I'm looking at a DC/DC converter 15-52v to 12v3a:
    http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Conver...ilpage_o00_s00

I realize that's only 36 Watts, which will be fine since I'd probably never crank the speakers all the way up anyway, but I might need two of those with the Arduino's. Actually need to check their consumption just to be safe, but I can probably get away with one of these. Question - is there any reason I can't do a simple power switch going from the battery to this converter? Since it's not drawing that much power, am I safe in doing that?

For the 5v Neopixel RGB/RGBW lights, each light draws up to 60/80 milliamps. But the rule of thumb is to calculate at 20/each, since you never use 100% of all the colors at once, and with the RGBW you can just set white to 100% and it's still only 20 milliamps. The light strips that I'm using are 60 lights / meter, so a minimum of 1.2 amps/meter is a good starting point. It'll be rare that I use all the lights at once, and if I do they won't be at 100% on any channel because that can be overwhelming at night when it'll be on. I'll probably have a commuting mode with with a few bright lights during the day, but that won't draw much. In the long run I'm going to have about 600 lights. It's common to use multiple power supplies, keeping the ground common, and data line connected to the Arduino, but voltage isolated to a series of LEDs. So the current plan calls for 4 x DC/DC converter 8-52v to 5v3a:
    http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Conver...ilpage_o00_s00

Between the electric bike components and LED stuff, I really don't want to drop this puppy, so I started looking into double kickstands, but it's hard to tell what will fit on this bike. So far this one is probably the best candidate I've found:

http://crowcycleco.com/double-leg-ki...ack-extra-tall

Any feedback or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please let me know I'm gonna waste money and/or time/skin! I think I'm on course to make a great commuter/fun bike with a killer range. Am I missing anything important?

A few comments:

Make sure the kick stand can fold when using a fat wheel bike

Definitely get the bigger battery. In my opinion no matter what, this bike is going to be heavy so might as well have more power and range.

SDharlie <------ patiently waiting for his beer

Comment

Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan.

Regarding the triangle bags, I've got both types from Luna. The zip tie bag has died, both zippers popped. The Velcro one is slightly larger and opens on the opposite side as the zip tie version. Go easy on the zippers!

You might consider a topeak rear cargo rack and bag for a second battery just for a/v system. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...d_hps_bw_c_x_1

A big fat trike might be easier to party with, I was looking at this stuff, turns any bike into a fat tire trike!
      http://www.fattiretrike.com/

SIKK Party trike could carry more, lots more! 2 turntables and microphone, calm down - maybe mobile refreshments.

Arduino looks interesting. Post a video of your lights in action and definitely post pictures of the lingerie ride!

Comment

Wow,

What a blast those fat tire trike conversion kits undoubtedly are!
        Last edited by Christian Livingstone; 04-05-2016, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Did I say a beer? I meant a pitcher. ;)

I decided to go with two kickstands that attach separately:
          http://www.amazon.com/iSKYS-Bicycle-...ilpage_o00_s00

They're only $10/each so it's not much of a gamble if they don't work out, but this should be a nice stable solution. Plus, I'll be able to attach strip lights to them; encapsulated in some transparent heat-shrink tubing, the lights should be fine. And the light strips are all going to be modular, so I'll be able to replace individual pieces by cutting some heat-shrink tubing and unplugging the JST connector. I should probably look into using better connectors for those.

Definitely going with the bigger battery. I do like the idea of using a second battery for the AV system, but from a cost perspective that would be a later upgrade. It's much cleaner than using a handful of NiMH's per my original inclination, and even a 36v battery stepped down to 12/5 would provide way more watts than the 12/4.8 batteries I'd be using. Plus a separate source would let me get a realistic idea of my range without being affected by the AV system.

Thank god that trike won't fit in my apartment so I'd be drooling even more. We used to have a local trike where the guy would prepare fresh sushi rolls and give them out for free on the cruise rides (just accepting donations). But somebody stole his bike last year. The downside to such a bike-friendly area is the amount of thefts. This puppy will be living inside and will never go out of my sight without a steel chain and a good lock. The one advantage of the smaller bottle battery would be fact that it locks in. The odds of some random person realizing they're looking at an expensive battery that can be pulled out of the triangle.. well that's still an unknown, and one I don't want to test. So I'm trying to figure out the best way of securing the bag and contents, at least well enough that somebody would need tools to remove them from the bike.

Good feedback on the bags. I didn't realize the velcro one is bigger and it's good to know the zippers need to handled carefully. Hmm... well, I've got until my next paycheck to actually figure all this out! I do like Topeak, I've used one of their bags on my hybrid for years, definitely another option.

I got the first 98 lights wired and mapped last night and started working on basic pattern logic, but the animated gif won't upload. I'll make a proper movie once I've got some decent progress to show. :)

Comment

The triangle bags are virtually the same size, but the Velcro one is just a tad bigger. :eek:

And get the biggest battery you can afford and fit on your bike.

Comment

A couple pictures of my 3d-printed mounting work..

The front fork strip, only complete piece so far, UV hub light below:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4107.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	3608

Starting to print ones for the front handlebar:

Name:	IMG_4108.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	3607

With room for cables to make life easy down the road:

Name:	IMG_4109.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	3606

Basic fitting for tank to hold electronics:

Name:	IMG_4110.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	3605

And the UV hub lights at night:

Name:	526c0d04-9f94-4cd2-b00a-a571693ca103.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	3609 Click image for larger version

Name:	540a56f9-beda-4823-a6aa-54a5bc239607.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	3610

Comment

Love what you are doing with the lights and brackets! Good use of your 3D printing capability. Wheels look spectacular!
                Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by delvach View Post
                  And the UV hub lights at night:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]n3609[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n3610[/ATTACH]
                  What are those green UV Hub lights that you have in the wheels?

And good use of the 3D printer for those parts!

Report back with the outcome of all the LEDs on your bike and how you programmed the Arduino to control them.
                  Last edited by g725s; 11-23-2016, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X