X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3000w 48v 50ah HUB-D

hi there!

I am new here so heres a quick intro:

located in brooklyn NYC and trying to make the move from my dirtbike to an ebike because #greener : )

current plan and to-buy list:

• old hard-tail mountain bike 26"
    48V 50ah LifePo4
    3000w rear hub motor
    • all the other bits and pieces...

my questions:

my commute will be exactly 25 miles every day, mostly just flat, no pedal assist, just throttle. is 50ah going to get me that range? should i downsize or upsize the ah ?

is this battery worth 890.-bucks? in other words, is this a good battery for my plans?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LiFePO4-Batt...EAAOSw5cNYP-KT

does anyone have experience with these HUB motors? http://www.ebay.com/itm/TFT-LCD-72V-...OaIKCM64jX8Cyw

thats it for now : )

thank you in advance and hello everyone!

all the best,
    Constantin

Its a very heavy battery at 20 kilos, I defiantly wouldn't want this on my bike. No its not a good battery for what you are wanting to use it for. These hub motors use alot of power so to get this distance you would need a battery like this. But its 190mm wide. Where would you put a battery this size. It wouldn't fit the triangle without affecting your peddling and that if it did clear your crank arms. I would go with a middrive for this commute.
    • * Dimension: 335X195X190mm
      * Weight: about 20kg

Comment

I thought ebikes were illegal in nyc. Certainly a 3000 watt motorcycle would attract a lot of attention. Perhaps a stealthy build might work better. 25 miles out and back isn't a big challenge especially if you topped off at work.

-Steve

Comment

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        I resemble that remark, because I just moved back from NYC after 11 years riding an eBike between Queens-Manhattan. Technically illegal but other than the crazy upper east side, NYPD attitude is usually surprisingly friendly.

All I got for the OP is that 25 miles one way is a long way to ride a bicycle.

• OptimusPrime
        OptimusPrime commented
        Editing a comment
        The I read that as 25 miles total. I didn't think NYC was big enough that you could even ride 25 miles one way in the city

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        Edges of some of the boroughs in/around the city might approach 25 miles? Particularly if you wanted to ride from someplace like Broadchannel or Jamaica to Innwood, Yonkers, etc.

I used to do about 20-25 riding around the perimeter of Manhattan. Of course, some folks live just outside the boroughs which may be the case here and would likely account for the 25 miles one way.

Still what this man is proposing isn’t very realistic for an electric bicycle IMO. If truly 25 miles each way, probably a job for a motorcycle/scooter.

I looked at the eBay link and the controller appears to be a 72V controller. The OP is advised to buy a controller optimized for the voltage that he will run.

Also, I could not tell how wide the magnet was on the motor in the eBay link. You would need to learn all the details about the motor that you will be using. Who is the manufacturer? How wide is the magnet? Is the stator aluminum or steel? Does it have a temp sensor? Are replacement parts readily available?

Comment

The motor in the eBay link appears to have a 147mm diameter. This is sort of small, in my opinion. Also, the motor is unbranded and from China. Maybe seek out a brand name motor with a larger diameter.

Comment

thanks for the numerous replies!

it looks like I picked the wrong motor and battery,

can anyone recommend a good quality rear Hub Motor in the 3000w range?

also, sorry for not being clear about the miles, the 25 miles are the round trip, miles traveled in total. so would you guys say that
          a 50ah battery is going to to those miles? again, i wont be pedaling and would use throttle only.

any recommendations as far as battery type/brand?

I wasnt aware that ebikes were illegal in nyc but I hope that this law is overlooked by local police. my commute wont take me into manhattan or any
          pedestrian heavy places - maybe that will work in my favor? any experience out there on this matter?

ykick, were you ever stopped or ticketed?

all the best,
          Constantin

Comment

I think you are way over powered with the motor and the battery. We need to know how fast you want to go and to a lesser extent how much weight you are carrying. Also can you top off your battery at work or do you want to go both ways on a charge?

Comment

hey optimus,

I will not be able to charge in between trips, as far as speed ideally in the 30 to 45mph range would be nice.
              I weigh 190lbs and will be carrying around 45lbs of gear.
              the initial reason for going with a 3000w hub was that it seems to be better to run a strong motor at 70% rather than a weak motor at 100%
              especially in 100 degree summer days that we get here. again, I am a total noob and all that is based on the little research ive done so far.

given my goal, what rear hub motor+battery setup would you recommend?

ps: there are no big hill climbs or bridges on my route.

all the best,
              Constantin
              Last edited by constantin; 05-25-2017, 06:26 AM.

Comment

I'm going to be honest here and say those speeds are very unrealistic especially on "an old hard tail mountain bike"

Comment

hey optimus,

thank you for the link! any idea how many watts that crystalyte hub has? (tc4080)
                also, what makes you say that those speeds are unrealistic? just the "old hardtail" or also the engine+battery combo?
                if your doubts are based on the old hardtail I would ask to focus on the electric side of things for now since I can pick up a brand new full suspension bike at any point.

I was also looking at the MXUS XF40-45H 45mm 3000W and contacted kinaye since they seem to have halted production and the only one I could find on the bay is located in australia...

now what do we have so far?
                is 3000w the way to go for my type of commute+load with zero pedaling?
                is 50ah excessive?

chime in everyone : )

all the best,
                Constantin
                Last edited by constantin; 05-25-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

so, after some more research I am now looking at the following setup:

MXUS 3000W rear hub motor

12FET irfb3077 controller (60V nominal/75V max, 60A max)

Cycle Analyst V2.4 display

and apparently I need a battery for this setup that can output 60A max current

any suggestions as far as battery goes for this setup+planned trip (see above)?

all the best,
                  Constantin
                  Last edited by constantin; 05-25-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

There is a dude on this forum that sells the MXUS QS 205 3000 watt , his name on here is Ebike1. He lives in Pittsburgh PA I believe, name is Mike Moser. Look him up and he may be able to help you.

Comment

I would get the Edge hub motor with a 18 fet controller and a Luna 52v 24ah battery and a CA 3.0
                      that is the set up that I run and it is awesome I can go 54 miles and still have battery left
                      check out the Edge thread in the DD hub section on the forum https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-aluminum-core

Comment

• OptimusPrime
                        OptimusPrime commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Where do you get them?

"speed ideally in the 30 to 45mph range would be nice." Speed limit for cars is 25mph in nyc and any road that you can go faster on is no bikes. If you could average 20mph that would be pretty amazing with all the stop lights and traffic. Get a scooter or BBSHD would be more than enough.

Comment

You asked how many W that Crystalyte hub has. The power of the motor is dependent on the voltage and current delivered by the controller. You can send any voltage and current to any motor, but if you send too much current, the motor will heat up quickly.
                        Last edited by commuter ebikes; 05-25-2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X