No announcement yet.

Bullitt Cargo bike - Custom Rohloff / Gates / BBSHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really project! Never tried riding on a cargo bike. Is it easy to maneuver?
    Trek Roscoe w/ BBS02, mt wheels, conti 700c tyres

Comment

New to the ebike scene here would much appreciated all the help I can get. Recently got a BBSHD from Luna and been eyeing a priority continuum onyx bike that has gates belt drive already installed. What I would like to know if I need anything to install the bbshd or would it be just bolt on and ride. Your help would be much appreciated again thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NOOB78 View Post
        New to the ebike scene here would much appreciated all the help I can get. Recently got a BBSHD from Luna and been eyeing a priority continuum onyx bike that has gates belt drive already installed. What I would like to know if I need anything to install the bbshd or would it be just bolt on and ride. Your help would be much appreciated again thanks.
        According to the Nuvinci technical documentation (here), the 330 hub Gates belt line is 45.5mm.

Per the math (done several times by multiple parties), you will not be able to meet this very tight beltline with the BBSHD motor, using stock bolt-on parts and a stock, 68mm bottom bracket. See my first build, here.

The belt's beltline is strict. With the BBS02 motor, yes, it's possible.

If you still want to hang a BBSHD on that Priority Continuum Onyx, I believe you'll need to use the Luna Eclipse piece with a chain. I would probably add a 2mm spacer to the drive side (either between the motor and the frame or between the motor and the Eclipse), to approx. hit the 49mm chain line.

For the initial gearing, I'd start with the Eclipse 42 tooth ring, to a 20 tooth rear sprocket. The Nuvinci, like most IGHs, has approved chainring/sprocket ratios. I'd take it easy on that 330 hub, especially driven by a BBSHD - I don't know how well it will hold up.
        Last edited by ncmired; 10-28-2018, 10:17 AM.
        BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

Originally posted by treolan View Post
          Really project! Never tried riding on a cargo bike. Is it easy to maneuver?
          Sry, haven't been back in a while. The kiddos are getting big I estimate we are close to 400lb's loaded with everything. :D
          The bike is about 8 feet long, but with a very low center of gravity and a small 20" front wheel it is very maneuverable. I can ride over pedestrian skyway w/180 switch backs without stopping. Basically anywhere designed with handicap access is passable for me.

With the kids riding on their own bikes (24" / 20") The cargo bike becomes the support vehicle! We are going camping!

Comment

Originally posted by ncrkd View Post

According to the Nuvinci technical documentation (here), the 330 hub Gates belt line is 45.5mm.

Per the math (done several times by multiple parties), you will not be able to meet this very tight beltline with the BBSHD motor, using stock bolt-on parts and a stock, 68mm bottom bracket. See my first build, here.

The belt's beltline is strict. With the BBS02 motor, yes, it's possible.

If you still want to hang a BBSHD on that Priority Continuum Onyx, I believe you'll need to use the Luna Eclipse piece with a chain. I would probably add a 2mm spacer to the drive side (either between the motor and the frame or between the motor and the Eclipse), to approx. hit the 49mm chain line.

For the initial gearing, I'd start with the Eclipse 42 tooth ring, to a 20 tooth rear sprocket. The Nuvinci, like most IGHs, has approved chainring/sprocket ratios. I'd take it easy on that 330 hub, especially driven by a BBSHD - I don't know how well it will hold up.
            An update - the 2018 Continuum Onyx now has the Nuvinci 380 "Treking" hub, rated for the Bafang Max (and maybe then the BBS02).

Comment

An update - the 2018 Continuum Onyx now has the Nuvinci 380 "Treking" hub, rated for the Bafang Max (and maybe then the BBS02).
              At $1200 delivered + build, and fit by Velofix... I think that's a pretty good deal!

Comment

Originally posted by insider View Post
                At $1200 delivered + build, and fit by Velofix... I think that's a pretty good deal!
                I agree, and the case for most if not all of the Priority brand bikes. Back when I bought my Priority Eight, there wasn't any other bike like it for the price ($829 delivered, belt drive, hydraulic brakes, 8-speed IGH, fenders) - competition from other vendors is closing in now, however.

Comment

Hello, that trike is a beast! I am trying to incorporate a gates drive to my BBSHD / Rohloff set up as (see post) and was wondering which 50T front belt ring are you using. I see they have a centerline and an offset. You mention that it is reversible and can change location so am I correct in assuming it is the offset one? where did you get it in the states? I cannot seem to find it here. Also, which 20t rear cog did you use? purchased at the same location? thank you very much in advance.

Comment

Hi Copa Joe - are you trying to reach insider about his Bullitt Cargo bike build? If so, I don't think he's logged on in about 6 months.

On the front/rear belt rings I believe Gates has exclusive rights to them, and yes, they're built with an offset. You can read more about the CDX/CDN specs via the Gates PDF, page 36. Have a look at page 54 for the Rohloff XL.

On tensioning, for a long time Gates stated the belts should not be back-wrapped but it appears that they may have relaxed that rule.
                    Last edited by ncmired; 05-27-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Copa Joe View Post
                      Hello, that trike is a beast! I am trying to incorporate a gates drive to my BBSHD / Rohloff set up as (see post) and was wondering which 50T front belt ring are you using. I see they have a centerline and an offset. You mention that it is reversible and can change location so am I correct in assuming it is the offset one? where did you get it in the states? I cannot seem to find it here. Also, which 20t rear cog did you use? purchased at the same location? thank you very much in advance.
                      The cog / rings are reversible.
                      Amazon carries them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gates+car...b_sb_ss_i_1_12

Comment

Hi Copa Joe - are you trying to reach insider about his Bullitt Cargo bike build? If so, I don't think he's logged on in about 6 months.

On the front/rear belt rings I believe Gates has exclusive rights to them, and yes, they're built with an offset. You can read more about the CDX/CDN specs via the Gates PDF, page 36. Have a look at page 54 for the Rohloff XL.

On tensioning, for a long time Gates stated the belts should not be back-wrapped but it appears that they may have relaxed that rule.
                        thanks for the link. definitely will be helpful.

Comment

I'm so glad someone pointed me to this thread because this is the exact build I'm working on, and I'm happy to see that it's possible to obtain an aligned driveline with the Bullitt. I'll resurrect this thread as I'm planning to place a Gates drive onto my BBSHD with Rohloff Speedhub.

The only miniscule flaw that I may point out, if it is one, is that the folks at Monkey Cycle built the rear wheel with the leading spokes outside the flange and the trailing spokes inside the flange. This is how you build a wheel for a standard cassette-derailleur wheel. It probably makes almost no difference but single speeds and IGHs typically are built with the leading spokes inside the flange and trailing spokes outside the flange of the hub. This has to do with minor chain-related issues and given the distance between the spokes and the actual sprocket, appears to make no difference here.

Comment

This is a bike that easily goes up hills as well as down. Your speed uphill will depend on your own legs as well as how much load you're carrying, but it's no slouch. Compared to my usual ride – an e-assisted Bakfiets trike – the Bullitt is lithe, cornering at speed like a regular two-wheeler. adobe zii
                            Last edited by hankr123; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X