Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Risun Motors Mustang BBSHD full suspension boost ebike build starting from a frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well another mistake I made so far. It looks like the Stan's No tubes Hugo 52 rims require a special Valve. Stan's NoTubes Hugo Schrader Valve. I hope I can use the Valve on the front tire as well since it is presta on that wheel. I really don't want a presta in the front and a schrader in the back.

Comment

Fantastic,thanks for your article.

Comment

• barttp
        barttp commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Andy.

Andy is from Risun Motors. I have been working with them to build my ideal battery for this project. They have been really helpful and we are close to completing my order!

Black Seat Tube Bottom Discharge case with NCR18650GA 3500mah cells 13-Series 9 Parallels (117 cells), 48V 45A-90A BMS

The BBSHD came in today as well as the Schrader valve for the Hugo tires. I checked the fit for the BBSHD and it appears I need more spacers than what came in the kit between the motor and the retaining bracket.

I put in a order to Luna for 2 more spacer kits. Just to have extra's. Unfortunately this means more waiting for all the parts to be in.

I decided since I have more waiting time to order spokes for the rear wheel that are a bit stronger than what the bike shop has. Sapim Strong Black Spokes. From what i've read these are really popular for e-bike wheels. I used http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator to calculate the spoke lengths for the Hope Pro 4 Fatsno 190mm and the 27.5 Hugo 52 rim. It came out to Left spoke Length 282.9 and Right Spoke Length 281.5 for 3 cross.

Don't get them where I got them I paid way too much. Get them here instead: https://www.danscomp.com/products/43...14G_Spoke.html
      Thanks ykick!

The rear tire will be a bit heavier but should be able to handle the any torque from the BBSHD.
      Last edited by barttp; 07-18-2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        $46 including s/h for 36qty 13/14ga Sapim spokes? I used to regularly buy those same spokes from Danscomp for a little under $25 for 36 shipped. The only "trick" is that those spokes aren't listed on their website https://www.danscomp.com/ but since all spoke orders call in for measurement verification simply ask for the Sapim single butted spokes. I believe they can cut as short as 85mm?

• barttp
        barttp commented
        Editing a comment
        Ouch sounds like the price I paid was to high. Well at least it was 46 and not 460.

• barttp
        barttp commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like I could have gotten the 32 spokes for $11.20. And they come with the nipples.

Cable harness fits in the frame!

Comment

I ordered the Battery from Risun Motors tonight.

Black Seat Tube Bottom Discharge case with NCR18650GA 3500mah cells 13-Series 9 Parallels (117 cells), 48V 45A-90A BMS

So lets see if my math is correct. The cell they build these with normally is a Panasonic 18650 PF cell. The individual cells are rated at 2900mah (2.9ah). So the battery is 26.1ah because 2.9ah*9(9 parallels)=26.1ah. I am having this built custom with the Panasonic 18650 GA cell they are 3500mah (3.5ah). So 3.5ah*9=31.5

So the battery they are building for me is a 48V 31.5ah battery.

Found this spec sheet for NCR18650GA:
        https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...79572025043155
        Looks like more conservative specs are: (between 29.7-31.05ah)
        Rated Capacity 3.3ah - 29.7ah
        Minimum 3.350 - 30.15ah
        Maximum 3.450 - 31.05ah

Spec sheet NCR18650PF:
        http://www.omnitron.cz/download/data...CR-18650PF.pdf
        Conservative for the NCR18650PF Battery pack (between 24.3-26.1ah)
        Rated Capacity 2.7ah - 24.3ah
        Minimum 2.75ah - 24.75ah
        Maximum 2.9ah - 26.1ah
        Last edited by barttp; 07-18-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Frame did not come with the Derailleur hangers. I contacted RisunMotors and they sent me a picture of the part. It appears to be the same as Wheels Dropout-25.

Comment

• barttp
            barttp commented
            Editing a comment
            As a side note. After confirming with RisunMotors on the type of Derailleur hanger. They said they will send me a free one when they ship the battery. Really solid pre-purchase and post-purchase support so far from RisunMotors.

Originally posted by barttp View Post
          Frame did not come with the Derailleur hangers. I contacted RisunMotors and they sent me a picture of the part. It appears to be the same as Wheels Dropout-25.

I think you found a perfect match there!

Comment

Derailleur hanger fit perfectly. :)

Now for the next challenge the hose isn't long enough for the rear brake. I'll be off to the bike store to get a longer BH90 hose. :) There is a local bike shop with a 2000mm hose listed in stock on their website. Its a bit pricey I'm hoping that they have bulk BH90 hose without the connectors for a better price. They probably do and its not listed on the website.

I really hope the "Wippermann Connex 10SE E-Bike 10-speed Chain 136 link" is long enough.

Comment

Chain was not long enough. Purchased 2 KMC chains to use temporarily and ordered another Wippermann 10SE chain from Germany.

Comment

Chain was not long enough. Purchased 2 KMC chains to use temporarily and ordered another Wippermann 10SE chain from Germany.
                Don't feel bad. I had to use two chains on all four of my bikes and shorten the hydraulic hose on two of them. This is normal DIY fun and expense.

Comment

• barttp
                  barttp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I figure noting the things like this could be useful if anyone else tried to build with this frame. Especially if people order these ebike chains from Germany.

• commuter ebikes
                  commuter ebikes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Definitely useful information. This thread also conveys your persistence in overcoming obstacles. This is so important!

Regarding my project, I often tell people that I don't care how long it takes, how difficult it is or how much it costs, as long as I end up with a solid bike!

For all of your money spent, time spent researching, wrenching, making parts runs, redoing stuff, etc., you will never know of the many breakdowns that you avoided with your hard work and attention to detail. You will just have thousands of super fun rides on your reliable bike.
                  Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-29-2017, 08:37 PM.

Forgot to mention above the seat-tube is a very odd Internal Diameter 28.6mm. I ordered a Cane Creek 27.2-28.6mm Seat-post Shim so I could use more standard sized seat-posts. Very minor size difference and unless you look for it not noticeable. This will be necessary anyone plans to use a dropper post since no-one makes 28.6 dropper posts. I already have a Thompson Masterpiece 27.2 seat-post I wanted to use and am tempted to upgrade to a dropper post in the future.

These Shim's are quite cheap and work just fine. $11.00 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                Last edited by barttp; 08-03-2017, 08:59 PM. Reason: Fixing a booboo.

Comment

Forgot to mention above the seat-tube is a very odd Internal Diameter 28.6mm. I ordered a Cane Creek 27.2-28.6mm Seat-post Shim so I could use more standard sized seat-posts. Very minor size difference and unless you look for it not noticeable. This will be necessary anyone plans to use a dropper post since no-one makes 28.6 dropper posts. I already had a Thompson Masterpiece 28.6 seat-post I wanted to use and am tempted to upgrade to a dropper post in the future.

These Shim's are quite cheap and work just fine. $11.00 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                  I had never heard of a dropper seatpost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkpgjAKpVLo. Thanks for showing an old dog new tricks.

Comment

Found a neat site that will build custom wiring harnesses for BBSHD. https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/i...ess/bafang-bbs

I'm planning to order the following:
                  Bafang BBS wiring harness Complete with the following extras:
                  1) 700mm cable tapping into the main cables +5V/ GND / Br wires as per email for wiring a rear brake light near the HIGO plug.
                  2) 400mm cable at the knot with +5V / GND wires for a headlamp
                  3) For the other cables the 200mm length after the knot works.
                  4) length of the cable from the knot to the HIGO plug 1100mm.

For option 2 I would rather have:
                  2) 400mm cable at the knot with the brown P+ cable and GND (in my research P+ is the full battery voltage and I have a Input Voltage: 12V – 85V headlight)

That P+ wire goes straight to the mosfet in the controller i'm not sure if its safe to tap into it. Does anyone know if this is safe to do without frying the contoller?
                  Last edited by barttp; 08-01-2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• barttp
                    barttp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Saw on a forum that tapping into the P+ wire can indeed fry the controller. So change in plans I'll power my headlights from the battery and go with this harness instead:

Bafang BBS wiring harness Complete with the following extras:
                    1) 700mm cable tapping into the main cables +5V/ GND / Br wires near the HIGO plug for rear brake light.
                    2) For the other cables the 200mm length after the knot works.
                    4) length of the cable from the knot to the HIGO plug 1000mm.

I will be using a 5V DC 1Channel Low Level Trigger Power Relay Module (2 Pack) SRD-05VDC-SL-C, RBTMKR from https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am following a wiring examples on this forum for the lights I have no plans for running lights, GPS, or silent alarms. But the plan is solid and looks clean.
                  https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...rt=50#p1307638

To be clear this diagram is from that forum. I did not make it myself!

Last edited by barttp; 08-01-2017, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Wiring diagram for harness

Comment

Working...
                    X