Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Risun Motors Mustang BBSHD full suspension boost ebike build starting from a frame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	44786

Comment

barttp, I have to say that you motivate me. I worked on my projects so much that I got burned out. I took a week off of my project, hoping to soon become motivated again. Your post #54 above served as a catalyst to get me back in my soldering chair. Your enthusiasm is contagious--thank you!

I have been told that HIGO connectors are only available as a proprietary item. I use precrimped JST connectors, but HIGO connectors are superior to JST, in my opinion. Do you have a source for loose HIGO connectors?
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• barttp
        barttp commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the supportive comment. It really made my day. As you can see in my post below all is not paradise in my setup. I'm quite apprehensive about taking the motor apart to troubleshoot.

HIGO connectors and custom harness can be purchased here:
        https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/index.php/en/
        Last edited by barttp; 2 weeks ago.

• commuter ebikes
        commuter ebikes commented
        Editing a comment
        That link is awesome.

I have one of those rear lights that has lasers to light up clearance behind the bike on one of my other bikes. I've decided to add a couple lasers to the back of the bike to add the same effect on this bike. I found some 12V red LED lasers for motor bikes that are designed to do what I want which should be coming in pretty soon. I will mount them pointing at the ground on either side of my rear running light.

I will also be taking my motor apart this weekend to check for loose connections to the controller and the motor core. My motor won't accelerate from all start position and I've been working with Luna support. Here is a post describing the symptoms that another use posted when they had the same issue. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...motor-to-start

One of the reasons my accessories have their own connection to the battery discharge via a XT90 parallel adapter is keep the accessories power loop isolated from the BBSHD wiring and make it easy to disconnnect. Just to make sure I unplugged the DC step down from the discharge line to make sure I had the same symptoms. Anyways wish me luck hopefully its just a loose connection and I can be back riding! I also purchased an extra BBSHD motor so if I have issues in the future I can just swap out the motor and then try to fix the issue without having downtime from riding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390577014729

Last edited by barttp; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• commuter ebikes
        Editing a comment
        Knowing how to take apart your motor and reassemble it will be a great asset to you. I forced myself to do it again and again until I felt comfortable with it.

I think I might have found the problem for my motor. There is a tiny board labeled 8fun-ms-1. The grey and white wires were stripped of a lot of insulation and it looked like the bare metal for the two wires were shorting. Anyone know what this 8fun-ms-1 board does?

Attached Files

Comment

That is the PAS sensor.

Comment

• barttp
          barttp commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks I'm feeling pretty confident that I've found my issue then. Good thing Luna had me look before sending a new motor core because replacing the core would not have fixed this problem.

• commuter ebikes
          Editing a comment
          One day you will get to a point where you have no problems and you can just enjoy riding. I have had only one problem in the last 1300 miles, and that was a flat tire which needed to be replaced anyway. That is how all your hard work will pay off.
          Last edited by commuter ebikes; 1 week ago.

I'm tempted to move to the dark side and switch to a Cycle Analyst 3 BBS special edition. It would do its own PAS.

https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/i...on-ca3-bbs-set

My motor is already torn apart. Wouldn't be too hard to follow these instructions.
        https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/C...structions.pdf

Muhahaha. If I hadn't provided the link for the HIGO connectors I never would have been snooping on e-bike-technologies and seen that CA3 for the BBSHD. I'm either going to have something really cool or break things very badly.

Ok I'm sold this feature comparison list made my mind up:
        https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/table_compare_EN.pdf
        Last edited by barttp; 1 week ago.

Comment

I have Cycle Analysts on all four of my bikes. They do all that I need to do and have never given me any trouble.

I didn't like the CA with the wheel sensor (using a spoke magnet to calculate speed). The spoke magnet and pickup are clumsy, unnecessary devices. I switched to the CA model where you program in the number of poles in your motor in order to calculate speed.

I have a hub motor so the motor RPM is always equal to the wheel RPM. I don't imagine this would work for mid drives because the motor RPM and wheel RPM vary depending on what gear you are in.
          Last edited by commuter ebikes; 1 week ago.

Comment

I have had issues with 3 things so far in bbshd kits.

1) The speed sensor pulled apart on one of my bikes
            2) PAS bad (current issue)
            3) display acting flakey (all units)

This CA3 kit will replace all 3 of these areas so hoping for the best. As to the speed sensor being cheap I can't imagine it being more so than the speed sensor that comes with the bbshd.

Comment

• commuter ebikes
              Editing a comment
              Attaching the pickup to the fork made for a clumsy installation. Maybe that was my fault because, due to my fat tires, the pickup had to be extended 3/4" from the fork.

Also, the wire annoyed me. I like to minimize the number of wires. One time I crashed the bike. The front wheel spun so far around that it broke the wire for the pickup. In any case, having the CA read the motor RPM and calculate speed is very slick.

I really dislike speed sensors with the magnet on the wheel too there is really no elegant place to put these cheap plastic sensors.

Comment

• commuter ebikes
              Editing a comment
              But then how would you get that sixth fastener? I have had a rotor torn off when it was attached with six bolts.

• barttp
              barttp commented
              Editing a comment
              good point. Maybe glue a small magnet into the hole at the head of the bolt with some epoxy?

Those sensors are just reed sensors. One of these would probably be easy to conceal.
              http://m.littelfuse.com/products/mag...ors/59010.aspx

• commuter ebikes
              Editing a comment
              I remove and replace my rotors a lot, so you might want to leave the bolt head accessible. Rotors heat up. Why not use the spoke?
          Working...
          X