Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Risun Motors Mustang BBSHD full suspension boost ebike build starting from a frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullfrog
    replied
    Might want to look into the swingarm mount motor that I believe will work with the Risun frame....it looks like a very good idea from a theoretical standpoint because being mounted on the swingarm, there is no need for a chain tensioner if you run a single gear in the rear.

Leave a comment:

• barttp
    commented on 's reply
    I did the step down so I could wire other accessories as well. Originally I was planning to stay with 48v but found that 12v accessories are far more common since motorcycles generally are using that volatage.

• donald
    commented on 's reply
    The headlight you got works on 12-85v. Why did you wire in a step-down? Figured I ought to ask before I start my own project!

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    I remove and replace my rotors a lot, so you might want to leave the bolt head accessible. Rotors heat up. Why not use the spoke?

• barttp
    commented on 's reply
    good point. Maybe glue a small magnet into the hole at the head of the bolt with some epoxy?

Those sensors are just reed sensors. One of these would probably be easy to conceal.
    Last edited by barttp; 09-10-2017, 06:43 PM.

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    But then how would you get that sixth fastener? I have had a rotor torn off when it was attached with six bolts.

• barttp
    commented on 's reply
    Has anyone ever tried replacing a brake disc bolt with a magnet and mounting the sensor attached to the disc brake? Seems like it wouldn't be to hard and once it was mounted I could run the speed sensor wire with the brake wire.

Note the bolts attaching the silver and black.

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    Exactly. The wire down to the sensor, the sensor itself and even the spoke magnet does not look like a modern way to calculate speed. I would rather mount my phone on the handlebars and use a speedo app.

• barttp
    replied
    I really dislike speed sensors with the magnet on the wheel too there is really no elegant place to put these cheap plastic sensors.
    Last edited by barttp; 09-10-2017, 02:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    Attaching the pickup to the fork made for a clumsy installation. Maybe that was my fault because, due to my fat tires, the pickup had to be extended 3/4" from the fork.

Also, the wire annoyed me. I like to minimize the number of wires. One time I crashed the bike. The front wheel spun so far around that it broke the wire for the pickup. In any case, having the CA read the motor RPM and calculate speed is very slick.

• barttp
    replied
    I have had issues with 3 things so far in bbshd kits.

1) The speed sensor pulled apart on one of my bikes
    2) PAS bad (current issue)
    3) display acting flakey (all units)

This CA3 kit will replace all 3 of these areas so hoping for the best. As to the speed sensor being cheap I can't imagine it being more so than the speed sensor that comes with the bbshd.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    I have Cycle Analysts on all four of my bikes. They do all that I need to do and have never given me any trouble.

I didn't like the CA with the wheel sensor (using a spoke magnet to calculate speed). The spoke magnet and pickup are clumsy, unnecessary devices. I switched to the CA model where you program in the number of poles in your motor in order to calculate speed.

I have a hub motor so the motor RPM is always equal to the wheel RPM. I don't imagine this would work for mid drives because the motor RPM and wheel RPM vary depending on what gear you are in.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 09-10-2017, 09:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• barttp
    replied
    I'm tempted to move to the dark side and switch to a Cycle Analyst 3 BBS special edition. It would do its own PAS.

https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/i...on-ca3-bbs-set

My motor is already torn apart. Wouldn't be too hard to follow these instructions.
    https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/C...structions.pdf

Muhahaha. If I hadn't provided the link for the HIGO connectors I never would have been snooping on e-bike-technologies and seen that CA3 for the BBSHD. I'm either going to have something really cool or break things very badly.

Ok I'm sold this feature comparison list made my mind up:

Last edited by barttp; 09-09-2017, 10:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    One day you will get to a point where you have no problems and you can just enjoy riding. I have had only one problem in the last 1300 miles, and that was a flat tire which needed to be replaced anyway. That is how all your hard work will pay off.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 09-09-2017, 08:52 PM.

• barttp
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks I'm feeling pretty confident that I've found my issue then. Good thing Luna had me look before sending a new motor core because replacing the core would not have fixed this problem.
Working...
X