Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamond Back Overdrive BBS02 Build

Battery is finally on order.
    Was supposed to order back in February along with the motor but couldn't do to lack of disposable funds.

I will start building my ebike this Thursday and Friday. I have budgeted a few days as this is the first time I've ever taken apart a bottom bracket, let alone built an ebike. I am an gadget, computer nerd and my buddy who will be helping me is a mechanical engineer so hopefully between the two of us this project will go smoothly. Currently waiting on a bottom bracket tool which is on order. Battery should be here next week sometime but from the looks of it we can do all the work except mounting the battery and testing without it. I will take pictures of each major step and post them here. Wish us luck!

Equipment:
    1. Donor bike is a Diamondback Overdrive 29er
    2. Motor is the Bafang BBS02 with Luna display (Eric, Louis, I have not installed any of this yet so if at all possible I could swap this for your new color model with accurate battery voltage and pay the difference I would be so grateful!!)
    3. Battery is a Luna shark pack 52v 11.5ah
    4. Hydraulic brake sensor, with thumb throttle

Any tips before we start would be awesome. Pics coming soon.
    Last edited by WDizzle; 04-15-2016, 04:46 PM.

2 engineers? This should be a good read. LOL. Can't wait for the pics. I'm about to start my build (equipment ordered, donor bike BB pulled and ready to go), so may-be I can learn from your trials and errors.

Comment

What a fun and exciting day. We managed to get it all done in about 5 hours, 3 of which were spent going back and back again to the bike shop and hardware store for various tools, washers and spacers etc. Only thing left now is to get the battery from Luna and do some road tests. Bike peddles just fine and feels SOLID! Really looking forward to testing this bad boy out.

1. Unadulterated dirty bike. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0457.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	4257

2. Crank off, about to pull catridge out. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0441.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	4258

3. Unable to thread on the outer lockring. Bracket is too wide. Think this will be a problem? I tightened the inner lockring using a 12' spanner wrench as hard as I possibly can. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	4259

4. Needed some spacers to go in between the motor clip and motor.
      .Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	4261 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.JPG
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	4264

5. Motor install complete! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.JPG
Size:	781.5 KB
ID:	4265

6. Controller and throttle installed!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.JPG
Size:	484.3 KB
ID:	4268 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.JPG
Size:	845.8 KB
ID:	4269

7. Till next week when I get the battery and hydraulic brake sensors. Hopefully by then I'll have a response about #3. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Size:	862.7 KB
ID:	4270
      Attached Files
      Last edited by WDizzle; 04-15-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Between being unable to thread on the outer lockring, and needing some spacers to go in between the motor clip and motor, it sounds like you might have a 73mm bottom bracket. From what I have read, the BBS02 is perfect for a 68mm bottom bracket, but the 73mm takes a little more work to install. I have read that with a 73mm bottom bracket, using locktite blue on the inner bottom bracket lockring is recommended since you most likely cant install the outer lock ring.

The bike looks great so far. Please keep posting, the info is valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael-95037 View Post
          Between being unable to thread on the outer lockring, and needing some spacers to go in between the motor clip and motor, it sounds like you might have a 73mm bottom bracket. From what I have read, the BBS02 is perfect for a 68mm bottom bracket, but the 73mm takes a little more work to install. I have read that with a 73mm bottom bracket, using locktite blue on the inner bottom bracket lockring is recommended since you most likely cant install the outer lock ring.

The bike looks great so far. Please keep posting, the info is valuable.
          I will and thank you so much for this response. After looking up BBS02 on a 73mm BB I realized that you are absolutely correct. I cranked it on there super tight so it should be fine but I will buy some blue locktite and carry my spanner wrench for the first few rides in case it loosens up. I will of course post more pictures and a short youtube first ride video once I receive the remaining pieces.

Comment

• Michael-95037
            Michael-95037 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a 73 mm bottom bracket too. I used 4 x M6 flat washers (6mm total) and a M6x20mm bolt with blue loktite on each side of the motor mount to hold it to the motor. I wonder why I'm the only one who has mentioned needing a longer bolt to hold the mount to the motor. After all, you are adding 6mm in washers, so it makes sense that you should need a bolt that is 6mm longer. Seems to work well holding everything in place, but I haven't mounted the battery yet.

May-be the shops that sell these kits should offer (for a fee) a 73mm parts kit (8 x M6 flat washers and 2 x M6x20mm bolts). It would save a lot of headaches for those of us converting mountain bikes which typically have 73mm bottom brackets. The parts cost me around $2.50 to buy. I would have paid double that to have it come with the BBSxx kit, which would have also saved me a trip to the store.

WDizzle

Luna makes a socket that fits the retaining nut really well. Couple that with a breaker bar and you'll really be able to tighten that nut without further worries.

I had the same concern with my build, had problems with loosening, but after using the socket with some locktite, I haven't had a problem any further.

Get it, you'll like it.

David

Comment

Over 600 miles on my Overdrive Comp 29er with blue Loctite and no sign of it getting loose. Make sure the threads are clean when you apply the Loctite and anchor it with a spanner wrench and you should be fine. I recently upgraded to the color display and I think it's worth it. This thing is my daily driver.
            ​
            It looks like your seat is similar to my original seat. It wasn't long before I was looking at a more comfortable option with a shock absorbing seat post - like a couple of days.

Comment

Alright! So I received the battery and got that wired in today and took it for a quick test ride. No issues and it is quite peppy so I am happy with the motor. The hydraulic brake sensors are impossible to mount properly on my levers so I'll have to figure out another solution to that. Pictures to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovelight View Post
                It looks like your seat is similar to my original seat. It wasn't long before I was looking at a more comfortable option with a shock absorbing seat post - like a couple of days.
                Which seat did you end up going with? I have been thinking the same thing, the seat is not comfortable at all.

Comment

I got the Selle Royal Respiro Soft Moderate Seat - Men's based on a recommendation I saw online. I'm pretty sure it was the bodyfloat seat post I got that made the most difference but the seat also helps. It's my daily driver and every other excuse I can find. Around town, it takes me about the same amount of time on the bike as it does in a car. And I live in a pretty hilly place. Skipping past traffic makes a big difference.

Comment

Upgrades!
                    1. Luna mighty mini 30t chainring.
                    2. Tweaked programming with luna bafang USB cable.

This thing rips the trails apart now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.JPG
Size:	344.2 KB
ID:	17188

Comment

Working...
                    X