Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xcnick
    replied
    When I was a kid you didn't show up at the park with fenders and a kickstand. At best you got laughed at, at worse you got beat up. The Britts say in for a penny, in for a pound. Handle bar streamers make sure you will get pounded.

Leave a comment:

• xcnick
    replied
    It just needed some balance.

Leave a comment:

• xcnick
    replied
    Full fenders are amazing, but as I said above, the mud flap does much of the work. So high performance mud flaps, here we come! Turns out truckers put weight at the bottom. Works like a charm on the bike as well. However I fear the Uzzi will have to take a new direction in styling.

Leave a comment:

• xcnick
    replied
    I have added the Eclipse 48t to the Ex-1. Throwing in the gear ratios:
    11 4.36
    13 3.69
    15 3.20
    18 2.67
    24 2.00
    32 1.50
    40 1.20
    48 1.00

Leave a comment:

• xcnick
    replied
    There is only one way to do a budget, add a zero. Although the figure is accurate, I am talking about taking a chance with the money. Hubs are rated at how many degrees they rotate before engaging. I like the faster ones and the Onyx hub is zero, so it should be perfect. How many things on your bike are perfect? Worth a shot?

I asked here about the Onyx, nobody replied, so I bought it and am taking the chance it will work and not break. It has lasted one day, stay tuned. Is it perfect? Not really, there is still a tiny clunk. However having no clickity click gives the bike some serious character.

The story is long and convoluted. I wanted the 2.8 downhill tire, but it is too tall. Years ago they wanted the bike slacker so a machinist made dropouts that are slacker, but he had to go a quarter inch longer. He still has a website and sent me a pair! Perfect, with the quarter inch the tire will fit. Might as well get the 150mm dropouts, and the hub in 150mm. Years ago the 150mm dropout created a chain line problem with the 73mm bottom bracket, biased to the inside. Now this is a problem I like having!

The pics are stupid, but here is a link to a video of the test run. I can't figure how to embed the video or even make a link so you have to copy and paste. At the end I coast up to the camera with no clickty click.

Click image for larger version

Name:	no-dropouts.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	53038

Name:	20171214_134855.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	53039

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    Salt water is the plague.

• xcnick
    commented on 's reply
    I like it! Local stationary store or even the grocery store, so accessible. Comes in colors. What color would look good on the Uzzi?

• Sneakers915
    replied
    You can use an old 3 ring binder for fender material for your fender flap, it'll weigh nothing and be practically indestructible. The 3 ring binders that are just a sheet of plastic, not the padded kind, some people use the thin plastic cutting boards too.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    I had to chime in here because of a recent experience. I do go to a local beach but I stay away from salt water like it is the plague. A couple of weeks ago we had a wind/rain storm but the next day was good so I went to this beach. I couldn't make it though because a huge salt pond was blocking the boardwalk. The parking lot which is higher was full of puddles "big ones" from the rain so I wasn't careful in the parking lot.

A few days later I am having shifting problems, mostly ghost shifts in my highest gear. My new plated KMC chain with less than 100 miles was rusting and kinking. A good cleaning and lube job fixed all of my problems. From now on I will stay out of puddles even if I think they are fresh water.

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    My Vee Snowshoe 2XL tires are 31.5" in diameter and 5.05" wide.

You are so lucky that there is no salt at your beaches. I won't even ride on the beaches here after I went there once and it caused rust in the bottom bracket and motor. Salt is really destructive, as you know.

You sound like you are having a fun time spending time in the snow, mud, water and sand. If you keep hammering on your bikes and spending years modifying them to handle all that activity, you will end up with nearly indestructible bikes.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 11-18-2017, 02:33 PM.

• xcnick
    replied
    Good to hear you think it is handsome, this attempt was done assuming it would look stupid. My other bikes, even the Townie has the dirt bike fender up on the crown. I can not say enough about how functional it is. I ran through a 50' puddle that was 4 or 5 inches deep. I couldn't find even one drop.

What size are your tires? The fender is called 4" but comes in at 3.8". It doesn't look as silly on 2.6" as I thought. I think he makes the fender for bikes like yours, not mine.

Name:	fender-top.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	50826

The mud flap is just vinyl base board. It weighs twice as much as the fender. I have to come up with something else. Do they make the naked lady emblem you see on trucker's mud flaps in 3"?

I went to the beach to try fouling it up with sand. Tahoe beaches are softer than ocean beaches. No problems. At the beach I saw the first ebike in town since I started this months ago. A couple had Sonders. I have rented the Trek and Levo, but never seen one on the trail. It felt weird approaching them and asking if I could stare at their bikes. The fender was the first thing they wanted off my bike. Really, that is all you see on my Frankenstein? As always I offer up the bike for them to ride. It took some persuading, but his curiosity finally took the best of him. Plush is what he noticed. Yup, $1,000 fork on a $600 bike makes things plush, thanks commuter ebikes! I hung around long enough for my company to get awkward, but he never offered up his Sonders. I really wanted to try it on the soft sand.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    That is a very handsome and functional fender!

• xcnick
    replied

Name:	Fender-front.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	674.5 KB
ID:	50801
    A fender for the new Boost forks! Boost being 110mm wide forks. Big O was a fender I probably read about here. The 4" fender just squeezes under the bridge. Won't fit my 100mm forks. He was kind enough to send two sizes of p clamps for the fork. I used the bigger clamp and the hardware from the smaller one.

Pretty easy. However I knew I was going to discover why off road motorcycles use the high fenders. The main thing seems to be the exit angle going down rocks. So the lower part of my fender is one big mud flap. It takes a lot of abuse over rocks and stairs. It also does the bulk of the work. Without the flap, everything gets wet.

The whole fender is close to the tire so I spent the day trying to jam it up with snow and mud. No problem today anyways. One thing for sure: it is 100% effective. I ran through big puddles and not a drop on me or the bike.

My 1-up rack is not very fender friendly. I was afraid I didn't have enough fender over the front because I made room for the rack. You can see how close the rack comes in the picture.

Leave a comment:

• Harold
    replied
    BBSHD with the Luna Elipse 42T and 9 speed cassette. The photo is when I first finished it with the stock chainring. Click image for larger version

Name:	intense e.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	49948 I later moved the mighty mini battery box below.

Leave a comment:

• xcnick
    replied
    Hub or BBSHD when it was motorized? Much older Uzzi. My 2006 has the VPP rear which may not be better, but does the BBSHD 2.75" clearance thing and any chainring you want with no problem at the chainstay. I looked hard and long for this kind of clearance and a straight down tube.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X