• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xcnick View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Charger.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	42634
    This is a really great build. Did the suspension forks come on this bike? The color and decals make me think it did. Also, do you know what that little seatpost stub coming up off the bottom bracket that goes nowhere is for? Makes me think they put it there in case the frame buckles as a stop for the upper tube to hit, but that's just a thought...

Comment

• xcnick
      xcnick commented
      Editing a comment
      The forks came with the bike. I don't know what year this is. They do not offer the forks on their current line of bikes. No adjustment on the fork, but it is all this bike needs. The front tire has only 12 lbs of pressure which takes care of the small stuff and the fork is good for the bigger stuff. The stub is for a front derailleur. It was a 21 speed when I bought it. I want to cut it off and stick the motor up there. I also think I may use it to stabilize the motor with the bracket Luna sells to hold the motor in place. I have had the motor come loose twice now. Bike was only $250 on craigslist, which sounds like a steel, but they are only $500 new.

• Rider
      Rider commented
      Editing a comment
      Front derailleur! (slapping my head as I say it) Looks like it would be a tight fit for that BBSHD up there.

You might try something like I did on my Soma B-Side. Made a replacement bracket that looks like the standard Bafang one, but has a third mounting bolt hole pointing to the rear that attaches to a clamp around the left rear stay. I also put a single wrap of aluminum duct tape around the slide in portion for a tighter fit and used tub seal around both sides of the bottom bracket before torqueing it down. Hasn't moved in 2,000+ miles.

My affair has finally been revealed! Francesca asked the question about who owns The Townie. “The Townie can't be owned”, I said. Then the pettiness started. “You ride it more than I, If it is yours, I won't ride it”. “No, you don't understand,” I said, “the Townie is her own girl, but I WANT you to ride her. It is like two girls kissing, it is hot.”

So now there is another girl in the mix. But all is well. Francesca even remarked how much better the new gear ratios are!

Time to get wild. So west we go, to the wild west. When we hit the Kalifornia coast we saw signs that said it was not wild or west enough

Click image for larger version  Name:	Townie-no-dog-bikes.jpg Views:	1 Size:	746.3 KB ID:	44397

Word has it Cape Blanco is the furthest west one can go in the continental US so we headed there.

At Crescent City we bought some jewelry. It was Francesca's idea, she wants a flashy red light in the rear. I wanted it installed because I always hope a sexy mid drive single track rock climbing Townnie-a-go-go, who can also satisfy grandma, will bring a smile to a bike enthusiast. I swear to God, not a mention of the thousands of Watts strapped to the crotch. Did he not notice? Or maybe just political correctness. Like someone who doesn't want to comment on the mole on my face. I know you see it...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Townie-bike-store.jpg Views:	1 Size:	477.9 KB ID:	44398

We found the sign we were looking for.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Townie-sign-cape-blanco.jpg Views:	1 Size:	574.8 KB ID:	44399

However when we rode to the beach there were NO signs. I said: "Lets ride our bikes on the beach." This never even dawned on Francesca as a possibility. There is no better smile than when the experience is even better than you could have dreamed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Townie-Fran-Mishca-running.jpg Views:	1 Size:	459.8 KB ID:	44400

Click image for larger version  Name:	Townie-Fran-Rock.JPG Views:	1 Size:	477.5 KB ID:	44401

Cape Blanco has even more to offer. There are miles of horse trails, and no horses, so hours of single track with the dog off leash and the bikes on throttle.

The Sixes River is right there with a boat ramp making kayaking easy.

When the holiday hit, we decided to just stay. Good ol' boys showed up in their 4x4s to drive on the beach. At one point there was an Adventure motorcycle in trouble. You know, a 1,000 pound motorcycle that is terrible on the road, terrible on the dirt, and just stuck in the sand. The truck pulling it out was also stuck and three other trucks on the edge watching the carnage.

Francesca didn't even slow down but soldiered through. I had to stop at the edge just to hear the comments. I expected the usual: “Next time I get a DUI...” but heard a new one: “I wonder if I can put a gun rack on a Townie?”

This is a good crowd. We roosted, made donuts, and exhibited unnecessary power. Uninhibited, I put on the colored throttle..

Click image for larger version  Name:	Townie-roost.JPG Views:	1 Size:	582.6 KB ID:	44402

Even the campground parade lap was fun. You know, when you parade your dog, bicycle or kids around the loop so you can peer into the other campsites, make their dogs bark, and check out their bikes. There was no pretending we were 250 watt peddle assist hub drives. We throttled by, pedaling backwards which made their kids and even their dogs break loose to check us out.

Francesca began using The Townie for everything. Didn't matter that there was a huge hill to get to the light house. Didn't matter the beach road was almost vertical. And then it happened, the moment I have waited for. Francesca said she was going to ride The Townie to the bathroom. Not “my bike,” or the “the bike”, she called her by name. SHE'S ALIVE!
    Last edited by xcnick; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
    X