Another Paratrooper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Paratrooper

Well I built another bike. I wanted something lighter that I could fit into my Civic Hatchback. There is not really anything special about this build so this will be a short post. I decided on a BBS02 for the weight savings and normally when I ride I don't go over 15 amps. My Slim Line 52 volt battery was gathering dust so I figured it would do for a while. The rack it is mounted on inhibits the folding action of the Montague so another solution will need to be found once Luna gets some rectangles back in stock.

I had to get a long harness from Luna because of the upright riding position I am using. I ditched the flat bars and that long forward facing dog bone and went with an adjustable stem called an Octagon. The Octagon is made by Montague for their road bikes and they don't want it used on their mountain bikes. I am not a mountain biker so it is fine for me. Here is a photo of the front stem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7272.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	41148

The seat and handlebar adjustments make this bike easily set up for most anyone. Here is a photo of the whole bike. Click image for larger version  Name:	2017_07_28_14_27_39_ProShot.jpg Views:	1 Size:	384.9 KB ID:	41053

I don't like the knobby tires and I was out of black wire ties so the whites are a temporary solution. This bike is so totally different than my cruiser. The wheelbase is at least 4 inches shorter This photo exaggerates the differences between the bikes but here it is anyway. Click image for larger version  Name:	2017_07_28_14_30_31_ProShot.jpg Views:	1 Size:	421.0 KB ID:	41054

I will post some ride impressions in a bit.............calfee
    Last edited by calfee20; 07-30-2017, 06:33 PM.

Tell me more about the rack. Is the Topeak bag just sitting there or does it have the rail that is a Topeak proprietor attachment? Battery specs etc. 14s3p with 25r cells (a guy can dream)? Where can I get one?

Oh it is a special build. I am sure all of us who stare at pictures of bikes see the Paratrooper and think: Gotta do one of dem.

(You know I envy the cruiser install, not fair sneaking that in.)

Comment

Those Paratroopers are a cool frame, I could easily follow you down the worm hole on this one too, been keeping my eye open for one used in good shape for a while now, I could fold it up and it would easily fit inside my VW Bus through the side sliding door or in through the back door.

Comment

That's a sweet Build Tom
        Bravo Dude

Comment

Originally posted by xcnick View Post
          Tell me more about the rack. Is the Topeak bag just sitting there or does it have the rail that is a Topeak proprietor attachment? Battery specs etc. 14s3p with 25r cells (a guy can dream)? Where can I get one?

Oh it is a special build. I am sure all of us who stare at pictures of bikes see the Paratrooper and think: Gotta do one of dem.

(You know I envy the cruiser install, not fair sneaking that in.)
          On my first build I mounted the Slim line on an old Topeak rack I had laying around then later I bought that battery rack to protect the battery. Then I cut up the Topeak some more and wire tied the dove tail slot to the battery rack. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-cruiser/page6

Name:	image_7977.jpg
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	41150

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            Those Paratroopers are a cool frame, I could easily follow you down the worm hole on this one too, been keeping my eye open for one used in good shape for a while now, I could fold it up and it would easily fit inside my VW Bus through the side sliding door or in through the back door.
            I had to drive nearly 2 hours to look at a Paratrooper. I also wanted to look at an Allston. http://www.montaguebikes.com/product/allston/ It has belt drive and an 11 spd Shimano Alfine.

Name:	ALLSTON-DirectConnect-Open.jpg
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	41152
            Unfortunately there were no Allstons to look at. They use an eccentric BB to tension the belt so unless I am looking at it I would have no idea if I could get a BBS02 to fit.

Comment

Riding impressions:

This bike is short and quick handling it is the complete opposite of my cruiser. The nine speed rear derailleur has been working flawlessly. I am not used to that with a derailleur. I have developed a quick little backpedal, then shift, then small forward pedal and pause when going up or down. It works perfectly. I will be able to hold off on the planned IGH for a while now.

I put a factory Electra Cruiser seat on it. I thought I would use my body float and just switch it between bikes but the seat tubes are different sizes. RATTS.

The BBS02 has hot rod programing on it and it scared the crap out of me. I was riding it around the yard and noticed the handle bars needed to be tighter. I got off and was tightening from the front when I touched the twist throttle. Well the bike tried to climb my chest and do a back flip. Tom.....note to self immediately power down bike before getting off. This programming has maximum amps available in any PAS setting. Now I can see why people break chains. I was in first and starting off with to much throttle and it actually popped a small wheelie.

There is a short one person or bike trail that I use to get to and overlook. It has a lot of rocks that I try to pick my way through. Well it is far superior compared to my cruiser for that. Note I am not a mountain biker nor do I try to be. There are a few down hill "benders" S turns that I like to fly through. The Paratrooper is OK but the cruiser is better and the Fat tired cruiser is better yet. Forty years ago that was my thing on my Nortons.

I was going to put a battery in some kind of handle bar bag but I have changed my mind. Everything I do from now on will be to try to get the weight as low as possible. It just feels better. I will put something above the crank where the bottle bracket goes.

The knobbies lasted one ride. I had a couple of smooth factory Electra tires hanging on the wall. Well now the knobbies are hanging....Ahhh much better. I ordered another set of Big Apples yesterday.

Well that is enough for now...........calfee

Comment

Very nice, I'm curious did you notice a lot of decrease in rolling resistance with the street tire when you switched them? Bike seem faster?

Comment

• calfee20
                  calfee20 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty much just the noise was less. I expect it to feel faster with the Big apples though.

I have an extra set of Electra Tires ;-)

will Luna get the Slimline back or is it so last year?

I think I can cut up a Topeak rack and damn am I getting good with zip ties but it looks like I better take the topeak and try to make the battery fit under it. Anyways, worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by xcnick View Post
                  I have an extra set of Electra Tires ;-)

will Luna get the Slimline back or is it so last year?

I think I can cut up a Topeak rack and damn am I getting good with zip ties but it looks like I better take the topeak and try to make the battery fit under it. Anyways, worth a try.
                  Luna dropped their Slim Line almost a year ago. I probably bought one of the last ones. I am just using it now for temporary use on new builds.

Topeak makes a rack for Fat bikes. It is the rack that I have on my cruiser. I think you could fit a battery under it because it is very wide and there is a lot of height adjustment. It is called a UNI SUPER TOURIST FAT.

Name:	product-racks-uni-super-tourist-fat-disc-uni-super-tourist-fat-disc-b130b227368c6ec43a3ddc544da9736d.png
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	41174
                  Last edited by calfee20; 07-30-2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I just ordered a Shimano Alfine S-7000-8. I also got a couple of Alex DX-32 rims from eBay. I am planning to put this on the Paratrooper but it would fit my standard Electra too. Hmmm decisions decisions!!

Comment

Working...
                    X