Electra Lux 7D fat tire build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electra Lux 7D fat tire build

As my second ebike build, I'm starting my own 7D fat tire build. I propose to use a SA SX disc brake hub, BBSHD under the triangle, or mini-Cyclone and a 52v triangle pack. I got the bike yesterday and the only faults I find is the position of the handlebars, about 2"-3" too high for my taste. Has anyone replace the stem or handlebars on their's?
    Also, any suggestions regarding chainring & spacer combinations would be appreciated.
    BTW, $599 seems to be the standard price, if you can find one. I had to drive to another state.

Everyone makes their own decisions when doing a build but you should consider putting the BBSHD inside the frame. The Electra has a lazy sweep on the downtube that will prevent rotating the motor forward and up so you will have terrible ground clearance. With my inside the frame build I can push roll my bike up stairs and over obstacles without worrying about damage from contact

When you pull off your pedals and the bottom bracket cartridge insert the BBSHD both ways and stand back and look and then consider which way to go. The motor will fit inside enough to get a good visual impression.

BTW welcome to club it is a great bike. I have just ordered a few things for mine so it will be back on the road soon.

Comment

Fito makes aluminum handlebars that will fit Electra cruisers that are wider and different heights. I've considered the Fito Modena GT Aluminum Alloy model with 5.5" rise and 28" width (7/8" diameter) over the Bull Horn Electra bars my Lux non-Fat came with.

FYI: I think MoarPower's Fito Modena GT has these bars on it:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...t-tire-cruiser
      Last edited by Rider; 08-11-2017, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Picking up my Fat 7D tomorrow, and ordering a BBSHD soon. Been trying to decide the best method to indent the vertical bar to allow the motor to fit as seen on other posts on this combo. The homemade clamp device seems the way to go. It's gonna be a sweet ride!

Comment

I think I'll have enough clearance mounting a BBSHD under the BB. I'll actually have an inch more road clearance than I have on the bike I'm riding now. Although, I'm seriously considering installing a mini-cyclone behind the seat tube. I have an Origin8 quill adapter and Fix8 stem on the way to fix my handlebar issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggo001 View Post
            SNIP...the only faults I find is the position of the handlebars, about 2"-3" too high for my taste. Has anyone replace the stem or handlebars on their's?
            As you might know the stem is adjustable up and down a bit.

I have mine set to max height and feel it is still not enough as I have a super long torso.

When I find the time I also plan on turning the stem around backwards permanently so the handlebar grips are closer to my upright torso. As calfee20 shows here : https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...7754#post27754

Here is my bike:
            https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...7082#post27082
            Last edited by g725s; 08-15-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

It's down all the way. I'm trying to duplicate the riding position of another bike I have with slightly more weight on my hands. What will it handle like with the stem reversed? I've never ridden one like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggo001 View Post
                It's down all the way. I'm trying to duplicate the riding position of another bike I have with slightly more weight on my hands. What will it handle like with the stem reversed? I've never ridden one like that.
                It won't make any difference in the handling because it doesn't change the steering geometry of the frame or fork. It is all cosmetic. If the positon of the handle bars changes the center of mass of the bike by changing your position that will change the handling.

Comment

But it will make a huge difference in steering feel, because the handlebar grips will be double the stem length further backwards requiring you to sweep the bars further to each side to get the same steering reaction. I don't recommend reversing the gooseneck. All you have to do is try it and see how it feels (zero cost). IMHO it looks funky and feels funky too.

Comment

I agree about the looks, if you need longer bars get longer bars.

Comment

OK, new quill and stem installed and swapped the twist shifter for a thumb shifter and new coke bottle grips.
                      The bars are now over 2" lower and 1' closer. Much better for my tastes.

Comment

Working...
                      X