No announcement yet.

Electra Lux 7D fat tire build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90% of the parts are here. Lightning Rods small-block, PowerVelocity 12F controller with BT and Luna 60V triangle pack.
    I have a cable guide in the way thats got to go.
    Last edited by Sluggo001; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Test fitting the motor. I had an idea for standing the mount off the frame and stabilizing it. A tube saddle should keep it centered. The washers were temporary to estimate the bushing size.

Comment

Here’s an important tip when installing one of these motors. DON’T RUN THE MOTOR WITHOUT A LOAD. The ACS bearing is not seated as tight as it will be by running under load. When you release the throttle the ASC bearing will unthread itself and the pulley will seize against the motor housing. If that happens...good luck. I managed to rethread it with a strap wrench.

Comment

Motor mounted,CA and controller installed and ready for test ride. Not very pretty...yet.

Comment

• calfee20
            calfee20 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great to me.

I haven’t posted for a while because of controller issues I was trying to sort out. After a lot of testing we’re sure it’s a bad controller and I should have a new one today.
          When it’s all sorted out, I’m going to be using a CA with PAS and the digital button.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggo001 View Post
            Motor mounted,CA and controller installed and ready for test ride. Not very pretty...yet.
            I was looking at your photos and realized I should tell you about a snag I had with my Fat Electra. Like you my chain guard is gone and on my first ride the long chain would flop around and wind up on the wrong side of the chain guard mount sticking up out of the right chain stay. Then when I tried to shift I got horrendous noises and finally a chain derail. It might not be so bad with your three speed but you should keep it in mind.

My fix was an Aluminum angle bracket screwed to the chain guard post to keep the chain in place.

Comment

Did you replace the rear hub?

Comment

Yes, I replaced the original Shimano 7 speed with a Sturmey Archer RX-RK3 disc brake 3 speed IGH. I lucked out and the chain line is good.

Comment

I’ve made real progress in the last few days. I’ve remedied an alignment issue with the 219 chain and the controller issue was resolved with a new Lyen controller. I had tried a PowerVelocity 12F, but, it had issues.
                  Yesterday and today were the first days I could actually ride for any real distance. I’ll need to replace the 17T rear with a 15 or 16. I’m running wide open and it’s not even breathing hard.
                  Time to tear it back down and clean up the wiring. Making a custom battery bag in leather as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X