X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggo001
    started a topic Electra Lux 7D fat tire build

Electra Lux 7D fat tire build

As my second ebike build, I'm starting my own 7D fat tire build. I propose to use a SA SX disc brake hub, BBSHD under the triangle, or mini-Cyclone and a 52v triangle pack. I got the bike yesterday and the only faults I find is the position of the handlebars, about 2"-3" too high for my taste. Has anyone replace the stem or handlebars on their's?
    Also, any suggestions regarding chainring & spacer combinations would be appreciated.
    BTW, $599 seems to be the standard price, if you can find one. I had to drive to another state.

• Sluggo001
    commented on 's reply
    The brakes are surprisingly good. I activated the AuxD switch for 5 level amp restriction and it’s actually more fun to ride.

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    WOW! Nicely done. Sit down, shut up, hold on and pedal if you can! Lol...

How are the manual brakes for the speed and weight of your ride? I see Shimano XT hydraulics or equivalent in your future. ;-)

• Sluggo001
    replied
    I received a DM asking for more photos...here you go!

Leave a comment:

• Sluggo001
    replied
    98% done. I’m thinking of fabbing a chainguard. I’m still rweaking throttle settings. This is fast, still pulling @35mph.

Leave a comment:

• Sluggo001
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve put an SA drum brake hub on a Nirve steel frame with angled dropouts and had to modify Shimano anti-turn washers to fit. The Shimanos had to be moded to accept the 13/32 axle. It worked great, the drum arm fit perfectly on the frame bracket for the brake arm. If that would have spun, it would have been bad news.

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    From my experience the metal ones work best on steel drops and the alloy ones work best on alloy drops. Best to always check the S-A axle nuts for tightness before rides too. I've cracked the inner serrated threaded lock nut and drive side axle nut. I "think" I may have cracked the axle nut with the holes in it by over-tightening it, then it exploded while I was stopped on a ride and the bike was just sitting (the built up tension must have released). I also believe the inner lock nut cracking was due to the axle nut being loose and the constant back and forth torque eventually cracked it (1st gear torques it one way and 3rd gear torques in the other).

Yes, it makes a huge difference if they spin! You don't want that to happen. I posted a thread in Troubleshooting when I experienced issues that might be worth a look here:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...and-spins-free
    Last edited by Rider; 06-15-2018, 07:36 AM.

• Sluggo001
    replied
    If you install a Sturmey Archer hub in one of these Electra fat bike frames I suggest using these anti-turn washers instead of the ones that come with it. They are made for verticle dropouts and the tabs run right up to the axle and are beefier. The tabs on the originals barely caught the outside of the axle slot. Could the axle have spun and would it matter if it did? I don’t know makes me feel better though. There’s a lot of stuff in the SA catalog.

Leave a comment:

• Sluggo001
    replied
    I’ve made real progress in the last few days. I’ve remedied an alignment issue with the 219 chain and the controller issue was resolved with a new Lyen controller. I had tried a PowerVelocity 12F, but, it had issues.
    Yesterday and today were the first days I could actually ride for any real distance. I’ll need to replace the 17T rear with a 15 or 16. I’m running wide open and it’s not even breathing hard.
    Time to tear it back down and clean up the wiring. Making a custom battery bag in leather as well.

Leave a comment:

• Sluggo001
    replied
    Yes, I replaced the original Shimano 7 speed with a Sturmey Archer RX-RK3 disc brake 3 speed IGH. I lucked out and the chain line is good.

Leave a comment:

• g725s
    replied
    Did you replace the rear hub?

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Sluggo001 View Post
    Motor mounted,CA and controller installed and ready for test ride. Not very pretty...yet.
    I was looking at your photos and realized I should tell you about a snag I had with my Fat Electra. Like you my chain guard is gone and on my first ride the long chain would flop around and wind up on the wrong side of the chain guard mount sticking up out of the right chain stay. Then when I tried to shift I got horrendous noises and finally a chain derail. It might not be so bad with your three speed but you should keep it in mind.

My fix was an Aluminum angle bracket screwed to the chain guard post to keep the chain in place.

Leave a comment:

• Sluggo001
    replied
    I haven’t posted for a while because of controller issues I was trying to sort out. After a lot of testing we’re sure it’s a bad controller and I should have a new one today.
    When it’s all sorted out, I’m going to be using a CA with PAS and the digital button.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    Looks great to me.

• Sluggo001
    replied
    Motor mounted,CA and controller installed and ready for test ride. Not very pretty...yet.
    Ready to test Not very elegant

Leave a comment:

Working...
X