Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Build & E-Bike rider-Magic Pie V5 (rear) -Bottle Batt. 52v*11.5ah-Huffy Parkside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    Roger that Pax. This is definitely in the game plan...mainly to keep things legal! Is it correct that you can program it to limit top speed, yet keep the torque?

Now if that pesky program cable ever gets re-stocked. :-(

• paxtana
    replied
    For what it's worth if you do run into some situation where you need longer range, the magic pie controllers are fully programmable with a golden motor program cable. This would allow you to lower the current output and considerably extend your range in exchange for reduced torque.

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Ykick, Thank you for your comments and great rule of thumb..."Electric or leg powered on flat smooth road on calm day any upright bicycle needs 400-500W to push 20MPH of wind out of the way." Good to know. Since the 20 mile goal is just a theoretical figure, based loosely on how long of a ride I'd like to take. With no required distance, it looks like this battery should do nicely. As always real world conditions will determine a lot. May I add to your excellent comments that probably ambient temperatures and the percentage of battery that you want to use up would also vary total distance...Although I'll surely be a fair weather rider. :-)

• ykick
    commented on 's reply
    Electric or leg powered on flat smooth road on calm day any upright bicycle needs 400-500W to push 20MPH of wind out of the way.

52V 11.5Ah battery pack is just shy of 600Wh. In a perfect flat world at 20MPH and no headwind it can theoretically supply 500W for an hour slightly more. That should travel a little over 20 miles using the above example.

But, cutting it close and add in some 10MPH headwind and a ground speed of 10MPH? Now you can only do 10 miles before that battery pack is practically empty.

That is the difficulty estimating battery pack range. One day you may have a tailwind and that same pack can go 30 miles. Or, another day you might be climbing long hills and burning 3X the power around 1500W. That 600Wh pack is only gonna be good for 20 minutes or so....

• Tommycat
    replied
    As you can see from the post's title. Some components have been chosen, though not all set in stone...yet.

Decided on the Magic Pie V5, as it appears to be the most powerful. Not requiring pedal assist. Also comes in a kit. Well supported by Luna Cycle.
    The battery is a direct result of choosing the M.P.5. Again looking for max power output, and in my opinion best looks. Picked the Bottle Pack by Luna. 52volts-11.5 AH... I feel that it should be good for 20 miles. (at least)

So let's start with these...

Leave a comment:

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    Yes it has a spring..it is universal on either side. The one we sell is vertical but it probably would not be so hard wiring a different type of ebike throttle if you wanted to. They all work more or less the same, only difference is the design and connector.

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Pax, Thank you for your reply. +1 for thumb throttle... Can you clue me in on it's operation? Spring loaded? Horizontal or vertical movement? Will a right hand shifter ring interfere? (7 speed). Being an easy rider, I don't think I'll be losing control, but you never know. Oh and on the twist... what's the red button for? And does the thumb have the power charge lights? (not that I'd stake my ride on em...)

Regards,
    T.C.
    Last edited by Tommycat; 10-29-2017, 10:49 AM.

• paxtana
    replied
    I go thumb throttle as it's more predictable. If I lose control of the bike I'm a lot less likely to accidentally add more throttle if using a thumb throttle compared to a twist.

Leave a comment:

• 1st Build & E-Bike rider-Magic Pie V5 (rear) -Bottle Batt. 52v*11.5ah-Huffy Parkside

Mission Statement:

To build an electric powered, two wheeled, one person bicycle, that requires no manual input to get you where you want to go.
    (No pedal assist desired here...)

That has a range of at least 20 miles. Having a display that accurately depicts speed, power remaining and amp draw.

Available in an easy to procure kit.

That is easy to control and ride. Having a soft, comfortable ride. (No mountain trails here...)

Quiet, safe, and easy to maintain.

To be legal on bike paths.

With minimal exposed wiring. Having a neat and clean install.

I welcome any and all helpful comments to this endeavor.

Question of the day...

Twist throttle vrs. Thumb throttle...???
    Never used ether, but always liked motorcycle twist grips... Seeking advice on their differences and which is more preferred.

As of 11-8-2017

Thumb Throttle-2
    Twist throttle-0

Found a good post on this subject HERE

Respectfully submitted,

Tommycat
    Last edited by Tommycat; 12-08-2017, 06:44 PM. Reason: Updated throttle vote count...
Working...
X