Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrorockit
    replied
    I discovered something about my BBSHD that might apply to a trike build. I wasn't feeling well, so for my ride home I used the throttle only ( first time ever) and found out my bike goes the same 32mph in the top 4 gears. Probably a 30 Amp limit. My top gear of 50x11 is so I can pedal 90rpm at 30mph speeds. Obviously the motor can go much faster, and Paxtana says they like that. On a 2 chain trike with a 40t front ring, and 30 t at the motor, you could have a 90rpm cadence with the motor at 120rpm input. I don't have a watt meter so IDK what the difference would be in practice.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    The Lake Okechobee Scenic Trail (LOST) hahaha! may or may not be open at any given time or at any given place. It's 112 miles long, and goes through about 5 counties, plus the Army Corp of Engineers is running it. My guess is nobody knows what's actually going on there. WTF Welcome To Florida.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 06-03-2019, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    To a large extent the land down here used to be underwater. They dredged canals to build roads alongside them, and then used the canals to drain the swamp. The natural areas are mostly still underwater. The rest has been built up and developed. Around here if it isn't flat then it's underwater. You might check and be sure the trails your seeing aren't bordwalks through the swamp. Oleta won't be trike freindly either. It's an island made of piles of dredge spoil that's beeen grown over for 100 years since they dredged the Intercoastal Waterway. Constant sharp up and down profile with narrow twists and turns. One thing they do here on the multiuse trails is put posts a foot high and about a foot apart at the trail head. Horses and bikes can get through, but golf carts and ATVs can't. Of course i've set my bikes up for what I do so there may be places I don't know but they're probably few and far between. In my area Quiet Waters Park, Markham Park, and Oleta State Park have MTB trails, Vigrinia Key in Miami also. But they're all tight twisty workouts for the most part. You might try a lap around lake Okechobee. There's a road on top of the dike. Alligators and poisonous snakes are a given. IDK what the wild boar situation is there. I've heard that people do ride it. I don't think the pythons are that far north yet. Kind of a Miami thing. So far.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=gian...Z21OFEM:&vet=1
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 06-03-2019, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tklop
    commented on 's reply
    Some of the recumbent setups to be seen in the photos at the Cyclone-TW website show an approach similar to what he's suggesting; where your motor isn't at your feet. Worth taking a look--there's a lot of neat ways to make the double-freewheels and other accesories work together.

[edited to add the link]

http://www.cyclone-tw.com/photo.html
    Last edited by tklop; 06-03-2019, 10:16 AM.

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
    I like this thread. It's hard for me to comment because I know nothing about hub motors or trikes. I wouldn't dare ride one in urban South Florida traffic, but it looks like huge fun.
    I wonder if you could put mid drive in front of the rear wheel with 2 chainrings on it. One chained to the pedals 1:1 and a big one to the rear. Kind of like a tandem 2 chain setup. maybe an IGH hub.
    That is an interesting thought. It would be easier to just put a BBSXX in the front bracket and use an IGH in the rear wheel.

I was just north of Tampa and found several great bike paths. I would scout them on my bike and if they were suitable then I would take my trike. I was just checking South Florida with http://ridewithgps.com/ and I found a few possibilities down there. I also see that there aren't nearly as many paths as the Tampa area.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    I like this thread. It's hard for me to comment because I know nothing about hub motors or trikes. I wouldn't dare ride one in urban South Florida traffic, but it looks like huge fun.
    I wonder if you could put mid drive in front of the rear wheel with 2 chainrings on it. One chained to the pedals 1:1 and a big one to the rear. Kind of like a tandem 2 chain setup. maybe an IGH hub.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 06-01-2019, 10:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Wait a minute that isn't a KMX

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190518_10_10_38_Pro.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	87735

This is my new Hp Velotechnik Scorpion with full suspension. Happy Happy Joy Joy.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    Hub motor. I really like the stress free drive line that a hub motor gives you. However I have 3 different rear wheels that could bolt to that with my BBS02 and I could do that real quick.

• BK Xray
    commented on 's reply
    That is one quality trike! Are you going to go mid-drive or hub motor on this one?

• calfee20
    replied
    I got a new project coming. There are trikes all over the place down here and when I talked to the owners they all mentioned Bent Revolution. http://www.bentrevolution.com/ It was only 4 miles from Jay B Starkey park which is turning into a favorite ride so I went there. There is nothing like this in Mass so I got sucked in and bought a new trike. A Hp Velotechnik fs 26 frame kit. It has full suspension and a long wheelbase. It should be showing up about the time I get home in March.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190201_15_15_06_Pro.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	82408

The frame kit has no wheels brakes or drive train. They want over $3000 for the electric drive so needless to say I will be putting my own together.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    I spent a lot of time doing an alignment and I reinstalled the air shocks. The trike is rolling easier and it is quieter now. I reset the cycle analyst, shifted to a lower gear, pedaled a little harder, and used less wattage on the assist. Over the last four miles I was getting 12 watts per mile and averaged 15 mph. It was a little to slow though.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    I tightened the heck out of it. The problem with regen is the axle will rock back and forth between acceleration and braking. I have a torque arm on it but it was just there to protect the dropouts during acceleration I wasn't planning on the regen but it was turned on in this new 18 fet controller. What I need is a second torque arm to apply pressure in the opposite direction. That will have to wait until I get back home. I may have to go into the programing and turn off the regen but now that I have used it I like it.

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    Can you drill and wire the nut or get a slotted nut and drill the axle?

• calfee20
    replied
    I went on a 42 mile run today. I was got 16.8 watts to the mile. I kicked the PAS up to 700 watts and was doing around 24 on the way back. I was quite surprised that the efficiency was still so good.

My regenerative braking is working on this new controller and I didn't realize it until one of my axle nuts loosened up. I will have to pay attention next time I go out.
    Last edited by calfee20; 01-11-2019, 05:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Rider View Post
    Never ridden a trike like that. Looks like fun. What’s it feel like going in the mid 20’s? I read 8000W and got shivers! Great range.
    Once you get around 25 it gets a little "twitchy". You have to ride it with a light hand because the smallest input will corner it right now. When you pedal with PAS the trike will slightly rock or weave with your pedaling motion. I installed a 60 tooth chain wheel and a 12-26 7spd freewheel to combat this problem. I am also running 140 mm crank arms. The slower cadence allows me to pedal up to about 25 and maintain a decent line.

I have no idea how the controller is setup. I got on it once with the 3spd switch in high and was going to fast like right away. I glanced down after I let the throttle go and I was going more than 30. There are guys out there who go more than 50 on these but not me.

That one time was around 5000 watts and only one battery was connected. I have since connected two in parallel so 100 amps is easily doable. What for I don't know. The Suncoast bike trail down here North of Tampa would be just the place to try it though.

Speed runs are throttle only and straight of course!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X