Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant Anthem 3 (2018) BBSHD Build

Hi All.
    I’m new to the forum and new to e-bikes. This is my 1st decent bike and my 1st e-bike build. I’m looking forward to many great kilometres on it once completed.
    So the bike I have chosen, is the Giant Anthem 3 - 2018. Decided on this bike after seeing it on the Luna Cycle site (Luna Chusher 2?). I got the bike at a great price which helped offset some of the cost of the motor and battery. I’m installing the BBSHD with a 52V 14Ah triangle battery.
    After a bit of a delay I received the PF41 adaptor from the US.
    So I’ve finally started and hit my 1st hurdle. I removed the cranks and the press fit bearings. The right side of the bike (chain side) has an attachment welded to the outside of the bottom bracket (see photos). It served no purpose on this bike. Not being a bike person, I’m guessing it may have been for a front derailleur attachment which this bike did not have. It appears that there is no way the motor is going to fit on without removal of this bracket. Has anyone had a similar experience or done a build with this bike. Just wanting to confirm before I start carefully grinding away.

I haven't had to do it but others have. I chose easy conversions but if you have to cut the frame up then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Carto View Post
      Hi All.
      I’m new to the forum and new to e-bikes. This is my 1st decent bike and my 1st e-bike build. I’m looking forward to many great kilometres on it once completed.
      So the bike I have chosen, is the Giant Anthem 3 - 2018. Decided on this bike after seeing it on the Luna Cycle site (Luna Chusher 2?). I got the bike at a great price which helped offset some of the cost of the motor and battery. I’m installing the BBSHD with a 52V 14Ah triangle battery.
      After a bit of a delay I received the PF41 adaptor from the US.
      So I’ve finally started and hit my 1st hurdle. I removed the cranks and the press fit bearings. The right side of the bike (chain side) has an attachment welded to the outside of the bottom bracket (see photos). It served no purpose on this bike. Not being a bike person, I’m guessing it may have been for a front derailleur attachment which this bike did not have. It appears that there is no way the motor is going to fit on without removal of this bracket. Has anyone had a similar experience or done a build with this bike. Just wanting to confirm before I start carefully grinding away.
      I get tired of doing searches for you guys. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...d-in-two-weeks

Comment

Yes, but you did calfee20 and I thank you for it. I’m just a newbie to the sport and need all the help I can get. I will however do some searches in the future before posting.

Comment

Hi Carto. Mate, you’re on a winner with the Anthem project. I’ve got 1.5k klm on mine now (a 2014 29er) and it,s hands down the best and most fun bike I’ve ridden. You might hit a small hurdle too mounting the battery. I posted my mounting plate solution and it,s served me well. Also avoids having to cut off brake line locating lugs. If you need more details I’m happy to help.

Comment

• Carto
            Carto commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Hard Tail. Yes I read your battery mounting plate post when I was researching for this build. I have the triangle soft bag which I will use short term. I have plans (in my head) to build a hard case with some graphics on the outside. I will eventually post some photos when I get there.

Hi All, So I'm continuing with this project and I have some more questions, especially for the experts in chainring offset's.

In relation to the initial post, I ground off the fitting that was welded onto the bottom bracket (well, enough of it) and was able to get the motor fitted on without further problems.

The motor came with the bafang 46T steel plate which I believe has a 19mm offset. I had purchased the 46T Lekkie chainring (20.4mm offset) and fitted that. When fitted this allows for a 4mm gap between the swing arm and the chainring, however the chain line is not the best. The outermost sprocket provides an almost perfect chain line, mid gear is ok, but the inner sprocket is way out.
          Ideally I would like to get another 10 - 13mm offset but I am severely limited by the swing arm. Putting a 36T with a 30mm offset would work as it would fit behind the cutout of the swing arm, but you can't get them. The closest I think I can get is to purchase the Luna Eclipse 42T which will just miss the swing arm and will be a better choice of chainring for the riding I want to do.
          I have read the chainring offset guide and there appears to be a discrepancy in offset between the photo (20.4mm) and the product image below (18.3mm).
          I will probably also be doing a rework of the rear sprockets to reduce the gears down to 5 or 6.
          If anyone has had a similar experience or any suggestions, they would be gratefully appreciated.
          Last edited by Carto; 04-17-2018, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Hi Carto. I appreciate that your chain line isn’t optimal, but I believe it will be acceptable. I’m running a 42 Bling ring on an Anthem 3 29er with an 11-34 ten speed cluster on the rear. For my primarily commute riding I think the gearing is basically spot on and I have no chain run out issues whatsoever. I also considered using a 6 speed rear cluster, but only for the benefit of a thicker chain. Again this would have meant also fitting a new 6 speed gear selector so I postponed the conversion, and now nearly 2k Klm down the track, I won’t bother. The 10 speed is working fine.
            Im currently building an Anthem Advanced 29er with a carbon frame and the chain alignment appears identical to yours. If it presents an issue I might install a chain guid on the fron sprocket but hopefully this won’t be necessary.

Comment

• Hard Tail
              Hard Tail commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Carto. Yes I think the 42 and 46 Bling Rings have the same off set. Better than the original Bofang 46t anyway. I wouldn’t stress too much on the alignment. It should work OK.
              The battery fit I found a little chelllenging. What battery are you using.

• Carto
              Carto commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Hard Tail,
              I'll stick with the 46T bling ring atm, as that is what I have. I contacted Luna (LA) and they will be getting the Eclipse back in stock soon. Will order a 42T when available. Next challenge is Brake cutoff for the hydraulic brakes. Battery is a 52V 13Ah triangle. Will do photo's when I have made the solid pack for it. Just using a soft pack atm - not ideal.
              Last edited by Carto; 04-26-2018, 07:17 PM. Reason: Extra Info.

• Hard Tail
              Hard Tail commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Carto. Re the hydrolic cutoffs. I just discovered Sally’s Neadit epoxy putty. The stuff is amazing and exactly what you need to attach the sensor. I posted a pic yesterday of my mounting solution. Just wish I’d discovered this stuff years ago.

Pic of my cut off sensor. Works a treat.

Comment

Working...
            X