Motobecane HT529 29er-wheel BBSHD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motobecane HT529 29er-wheel BBSHD

I completed my BSSHD-equipped mt bike build this weekend, at least enough to take it for a test ride and test general function.

The build was onto a Motobecane HT529, a 29er-wheel from Bikesdirect.com. I didn't bench test the motor, so it was a breath-holder when I ventured out onto my driveway the first time. I was sent the wrong throttle (left instead of right), didn't want to try to figure out the hydraulic brake sensors, and the gear sensor cable is too short to reach from any mounting points to the controller jack, so I didn't connect use any of those features. Regardless, the system running on PAS was really cool - I had never ridden an e-bike before, so I didn't know what to expect. I AM SUPERMAN!!!

I ran the bike primarily in stock programming level 1 and 2 (out of 5), and was amazed at how smooth the power transition. I generally couldn't feel or hear the motor at all, I was just able to ride up a typical 2nd gear @ 3MPH hill at 20MPH. Totally wicked. I rode it a couple of miles down to my fish n' game club, where everybody wanted to ride it. Now they all want one. Total bike weight including battery is roughly 50 pounds (23kg).

The build wasn't technically hard, but was delayed due to a couple of omissions and errors with the original package. Luna has been good about correcting those errors, though each delay the project a week due to mailing time.

1) The "standard" motor drive supplied (stickered 73mm) is only compatible with a 73mm bottom bracket - spacers are required for a 68mm bracket but weren't included originally. 5mm on the non-drive side centers cranks vs. frame, but chain ring didn't have enough clearance to chain stay in that position. I instead used 2.5mm spacers on either side of the BB, creating a 5mm crank arm to frame offset toward the drive side. I didn't notice the offset wile riding. The chain line was just about perfect with the Luna Eclipse chain ring in this position. I face a potential problem in rotation of the motor due to the mounting plate teeth being driven into a spacer instead of the BB. I have not seen evidence of rotation so far, however. I used a blob of epoxy putty between the down tube and motor to help disburse motor-torque created pressure on that point.
    2) Tragically, the frame triangle on my bike is too small to fit any of the Luna-provided batteries. I ended up getting a Slim Line and mounting it on a rear rack, which is about the worst place you can put a battery. It is my least-favorite part of the design, was the hardest part of the build (5 hours), and was the sole problem that surfaced on my initial outing. It is fairly stealthy though. I made a mounting plate out of epoxy-laminated graphite carbon fiber, which worked great, but ended up vibrating audibly against the rack. It needs a couple more mounting bolts through the battery rack and possibly a thin layer of isolation material.
    3) Wiring was somewhat trivial - the main harness and speed sensor required about a dozen zip-ties and I didn't connect the brake sensors, throttle, or gear sensor lines. I connected the Slim Line pack to the motor harness using an XT90-S anti-spark plug. As the Slim Line battery has a sliding mount into a connector, many hard-connect the pack to the controller and (I guess) live with the spark when they push the pack into the mount. I probably won't remove my battery much, but when I do, I disconnect the anti-spark plug first and re-plug it after re-inserting the battery. No sparks yet.

The only problem I discovered after the shakedown cruise was vibration from the battery mounting plate that came about after a couple of miles. The mounting plate I made extends off of a ~10" rack toward the front - the back of the battery pack is roughly flush with the back of the rack, the front of the pack and mounting plate extends about 6-7" off of the rack. I epoxied the CF plate onto the aluminum rack before bolting it down, but the epoxy separated toward the front of the rack. There are only 4 mounting bolts on the rack (the other 4 hold the battery mount and mating socket to the plate), and one was damaged when I discovered a mounting depth design flaw in the battery mount. For those who get a Slim Line - the supplied bolts don't sit low enough into the plastic mount to clear the battery. They require a small amount of additional counter-sinking to get the heads flush with the plastic surface, and the battery will not slide into place with the heads higher than flush.

One thing I noticed - the display seemed to change color at one point - I must have hit a button by accident or something. It went from a white background to something darker and I couldn't see it at all. At night, the white display is too bright and blinds you. Is there a night mode on the display that I engaged by accident?
    73mm (std) package doesn't fit 68mm bracket w/o spacers.  Luna claims there is only one 68-73mm motor, but I have seen forum pictures of BSSHD motors with a 68mm sticker on them that had thinner motor mounts, so maybe I just got the wrong one? Motor mounted easily w/ 5mm taken up in spacers.  5mm on non-drive side centers cranks, but I used one 2.5mm on each side to give adequate chain ring clearance. Used epoxy-blob technique to dissipate pressure on down tube.
    Last edited by JayC; 05-23-2016, 09:30 AM.

Yes, pressing + for a couple of seconds puts the display in night mode.
    The overall brightness is adjustable in settings.
    Double tap the power button to enter settings mode.

Comment

Originally posted by HD Rockhopper View Post
      Yes, pressing + for a couple of seconds puts the display in night mode.
      The overall brightness is adjustable in settings.
      Double tap the power button to enter settings mode.
      Thanks - I did get into settings mode a couple of times by accident, but couldn't figure out how to get it back out. Does holding '-' put it back into day mode, or hold '+' again?

Comment

Hold + a second time

Comment

This is exactly the build i have been researching. What size frame did you get? I am curious about the frame opening for the battery. I understand you couldn't use a shark pack from luna based on the size, is that right? I was planning on getting the 21" frame. Hoping that will fit the larger batteries.

Thanks and great build!
          http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-disc-fsr-2005

Comment

Originally posted by FolsomRider View Post
            This is exactly the build i have been researching. What size frame did you get? I am curious about the frame opening for the battery. I understand you couldn't use a shark pack from luna based on the size, is that right? I was planning on getting the 21" frame. Hoping that will fit the larger batteries.

Thanks and great build!
            I bought a 15" frame. None of the batteries would fit - Shark, bottle, or any of the Luna-made triangles. Because the bike is a 29er, the front is very high, so to get crotch clearance for my 29" inseam, I needed to go very small. a 21" frame will more than likely fit any battery Luna sells. Make sure that is the right size though - a 29er requires a ~1.5-2" smaller frame than a 26" bike, and too-big frames can be problematic during emergency dismounts =:O

Comment

Originally posted by JayC View Post

I bought a 15" frame. None of the batteries would fit - Shark, bottle, or any of the Luna-made triangles. Because the bike is a 29er, the front is very high, so to get crotch clearance for my 29" inseam, I needed to go very small. a 21" frame will more than likely fit any battery Luna sells. Make sure that is the right size though - a 29er requires a ~1.5-2" smaller frame than a 26" bike, and too-big frames can be problematic during emergency dismounts =:O

Thanks for the response. i am 6'1" so i will be able to use the 21" frame. Still deciding on Motobecane or Diamondback Overdrive. Ride safe!
              http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-disc-fsr-2005

Comment

JayC hi.

I'd like to introduce myself.
                I have the same bike as yours.
                I just got my bbshd kit as a Xmas gift.
                I am having a heck of a time getting the crank arms off to start motor install.
                Did you have same issue?
                I am at the point that I fear I am going to pull the threads out of crank arm with crank puller?
                any advice would I would be grateful.
                Eager to get beyond removal of original crank arms.

BearSkee

Comment

Make sure the puller is all the way threaded on. Then use a bar to add some leverage.

You may need to cut the arm off with an angle grinder if you strip the thread,

Comment

Could you have drilled new holes in the battery mount and moved the battery up towards the steering tube to get a shark to fit. I think I read that someplace and a easy fix??

Comment

Working...
                    X