No announcement yet.

BBSHD on an Electra Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a hand hacksaw, and a rough flat file to smooth it, then a round file to deburr the edges...

Comment

My daughter from Florida was here so I have been MIA. I put a new seat on the bike. http://www.serfas.com/products/view/...ve-gel-saddles I find myself going on much longer rides and the seat is a huge plus.

I also find that I need a higher gear. I really enjoyed your IGH article but there was one you didn't mention. Do you have an opinion on Sram's dual drive? http://www.sram.com/sram/urban/products/sram-dd3-24

Click image for larger version

Name:	dualdrive-ii_24_web.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	9832

The controls are in one grip which is the same as on our bikes. This set up has a very wide gear ratio. I would not imagine using all of the speeds but maybe picking a sprocket and then just using the 3 speed hub.

Comment

There was quite a bit of discussion about the SRAM Dual-drive on ES, under "splined freewheel". Since the sprocket cluster is mounted on a splined cassette, you could remove the stock 7-speed sprockets, and replace them with two splined freewheels.

Doing that meant that you could have a non hub motor driving it's own independent freewheel with a 3-speed IGH. The second freewheel could combine the 3-speed IGH with two chainrings (or three?) To make the pedals a 6-speed.

It didn't seem to catch on, but it was proven to work. The 3 X 7 Dual Drive is an affordable way to have a 21-speed with only one chainring, and no BB derailleur.

I wondered if I should include it in the article or not, and...I just figured that the article was long enough as it is...but thanks for the suggestion, it proves that at least one person read it!

Edit...Now that the beer has worn off, I just remembered that I will include the Dual Drive in the belt-drive article, because the splines make it easy to adjust the "chainline" of the pulley.
        Last edited by spinningmagnets; 06-27-2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I am finally waiting for my battery and the last few parts and will assemble my cyclone on a temporary donor MB ,What you have done here is exactly what I am aiming for .A Cruiser E-Bike with the motor inside the main triangle .

One problem I see is those single piece BB set with 2" id BB Shell .I think I will have a standard BB Shell welded inside the 2" shell (any suggestion about this are welcomed) ,so that the final install will be simplified .I am have looked at many cruiser frame ,the one's I can have around here are very limited some Shwinn mainly .

This Electra Towny look awmazing to build with ,Where do they sell them? Do they ship to Montreal Can ?

Again Grats on a awesome E-Bike Build .

Comment

Someone found a fix for that. I will look.

Here you go.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog...roducts_id=104

Last edited by calfee20; 06-28-2016, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdRider View Post
              This Electra Towny look awmazing to build with ,Where do they sell them? Do they ship to Montreal Can ?

Again Grats on a awesome E-Bike Build .
              They sell them just about everywhere.

http://locator.electrabike.com/searc...rch_term=02719

Comment

There are a number of bike with the flat foot or crank forward geometry. See Spinningmagnets article. Generally readers should check out the mother load at our own www.electricbike.com

More often than not if it's eBike related it's there. http://www.electricbike.com/12-crank-forward-bikes/

Comment

Currently the KHS Smoothie has the most size choices.

Comment

I have made a couple of small modifications that are having a big effect on riding comfort. I mentioned the seat a few posts ago but I also scrounged a seat post shock and quick release seat post lever from another bike. I raised the seat a little and the handle bars more to get a better riding position.

Name:	2016_06_27_09_59_36_ProShot.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	10174

Name:	2016_06_27_09_59_17_ProShot.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	571.9 KB
ID:	10175

These changes have increased my comfort range and length of my rides. There is a bike path on the north side of my farm that opens access to my town while keeping bikes off of route 6 which I feel is unsafe for bikes. I find myself doing errands on the bike instead of going in my truck. That is a nice seat and I would recommend it.

Comment

Despite being an auto and tractor mechanic all of my life bicycles are not a huge part of my knowledge base. When I was at a local bike shop a few weeks ago I was looking for a rear sprocket with a lower tooth count. I was told that Shimano didn't get lower than 13 which is only one tooth different from what I had. This is technically correct.

Some reading about freewheels and cassettes has led me to a 11/30 freewheel that is has been ordered and should correct my gearing. I want to get 20 mph at a slightly lower cadence and this freewheel will give me .8 more wheel revolutions per pedal revolutions. This will be this years gearing fix but I am still thinking about Sram's dual drive or an IGH and front suspension and fatter tires and disc brakes..............ahhhhhh when will it stop.

Comment

Some day one of these really inventive builders will be in my part of the country! Nice work! That frame work would make a number of flat foot frames perfect candidates for an in frame setup! Fantastic! Well played sir!

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
                          Despite being an auto and tractor mechanic all of my life bicycles are not a huge part of my knowledge base. When I was at a local bike shop a few weeks ago I was looking for a rear sprocket with a lower tooth count. I was told that Shimano didn't get lower than 13 which is only one tooth different from what I had. This is technically correct.

Some reading about freewheels and cassettes has led me to a 11/30 freewheel that is has been ordered and should correct my gearing. I want to get 20 mph at a slightly lower cadence and this freewheel will give me .8 more wheel revolutions per pedal revolutions. This will be this years gearing fix but I am still thinking about Sram's dual drive or an IGH and front suspension and fatter tires and disc brakes..............ahhhhhh when will it stop.
                          I recently added Maxis Hookworms to my ride and WOW love the fattest tire a frame will take. 2.5" is the absolute max on my frame. When I ride the bike path I drop the pressure some for an incredibly cushioned ride. I'm also finding I seldom shift in the city. 42T X 24T(Guessing) gets me 25MPH (radar checked) on the throttle and in pas 1 no clown pedaling. The BBSHD on a comfort frame is just an incredible ride. I did ride my wife's BBS01 250W yesterday and that is STILL a sweet ride too.

BTW Where in the world are you?

Comment

Yeah,

Such a cool mid-drive cruiser with the motor in the frame. And the Slimline battery is probably considered more aesthetically pleasing than a battery mounted inside the triangle of the frame.

But, since you're doing some refining in the ride and positioning, I'll also recommend that you consider a simple and subtle modification by lowering the rack about 2", by simply pounding a slightly flattened spot on the strut post of the rack for drilling a hole about 2" higher, which would lower the rack and the weight center of the battery and bike itself a little, while also possibly making a slight visual enhancement.

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
                            I have made a couple of small modifications that are having a big effect on riding comfort. I mentioned the seat a few posts ago but I also scrounged a seat post shock and quick release seat post lever from another bike. I raised the seat a little and the handle bars more to get a better riding position...

These changes have increased my comfort range and length of my rides. There is a bike path on the north side of my farm that opens access to my town while keeping bikes off of route 6 which I feel is unsafe for bikes. I find myself doing errands on the bike instead of going in my truck. That is a nice seat and I would recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Luna View Post

BTW Where in the world are you?
                              Fairhaven Ma. We have had a bike path for a few years and if Mattapoisett would just link up it would open a path almost to the cape cod canal.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Livingstone View Post
                                Yeah,
                                But, since you're doing some refining in the ride and positioning, I'll also recommend that you consider a simple and subtle modification by lowering the rack about 2", by simply pounding a slightly flattened spot on the strut post of the rack for drilling a hole about 2" higher, which would lower the rack and the weight center of the battery and bike itself a little, while also possibly making a slight visual enhancement.
                                Actually maybe a different rack or racks with the battery underneath and a rack on top.

Comment

Working...
                                X