• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    Post #65 has all of the information.

• g725s
    commented on 's reply
    This will be an awesome way to install that Rohloff your going to buy right? Can wait to see the finish install ;-)

• paxtana
    replied
    Man you find all the coolest stuff.
    How much did that rack cost? Model #? I've heard folks searching for one like that for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by g725s View Post

I really like this bike. It came with fenders and all. If only it had disc brakes stock, or at least the mounting brackets for disc brakes.

Why exactly do you want to get the fatter version of this bike?

This is a great build thread, nice work.
    Disc brakes are easy. The front fork is steel. I could weld tabs on with my Miller MIG. The rear is even easier. Just drill 2 holes and cut a clearance notch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	electra-bikes-7d-lux-fat-2-1000x1000.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	20018
    The ISO tabs can be purchased from http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/ . They have all kinds of neat stuff for frame builders or anyone who wants to do some modifications.

Name:	ISO.PNG
Views:	301
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	20019

This front fork tab costs 8 bucks but then maybe it would be easier to buy a whole new fork. Paragon also gave me an idea for increasing the wheelbase because a couple of more inches and you could tuck a battery behind the seat post Picture a couple of inches added between seat post and rear wheel.

Name:	FatLuxSide.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	20020

The Elecrta with those large flat triangular rear dropouts can lead to all sorts of possibilities.

Name:	Aviary Photo_131203722015746071.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	20021

Then add some pieces from Paragon and you have horizontal dropouts for an IGH and room for a battery behind the seat post.

Name:	drop.PNG
Views:	298
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	20022

Oh and look the disc brake mount is built right in. This piece is for the left side.

Why do I want fatter tires? I keep telling myself it is for suspension on a rigid frame bike plus the Electra Lux Fat is a very large frame. I am 6' 4" and 275# and I have a 35" inseam for bike frame measuring purposes. I hated putting 125 pounds of air in skinny road bike tires because of my weight. The increased air volume and lower pressure just makes everything nicer and the BBHSD makes up for the sluggishness of a cruiser. Spinningmagnets said he could bash into and jump a curb with his Electra Fat. The real reason that I don't want to admit.........I like the way it looks.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney64
    commented on 's reply
    Nice bike, I have added this to our compatability thread

• g725s
    replied
    Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
    I would like to thank Spinningmagnets for his input. It was his article that attracted me to the idea of installing the motor INSIDE the frame triangle. I found a used cruiser down the cape that turned out to be an aluminum frame electra with fenders.

I really like this bike. It came with fenders and all. If only it had disc brakes stock, or at least the mounting brackets for disc brakes.

Why exactly do you want to get the fatter version of this bike?

This is a great build thread, nice work.

Leave a comment:

• mtm408
    replied
    That turned out really nice. Might need to think on this one. Thanks for the including the phone number.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    I got a new rack to mount my 52 volt slimline. I bought it from Evelo electric bikes. They do not have the rack listed on their web site so I called and completed the transaction over the phone. Their phone # is Toll free: 877-991-7272.

The rack looks OK to good. The welds could be better and on both sides of the tubes and the finish could be better. It is not a Topeak.

Here is a picture next to old rack:

Name:	2016_09_08_14_11_06_ProShot.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	17252

I upgraded the two mounting bolts on the rear dropout from 5.0 by .80 mm to 6.0 by 1.00 mm. I could see the smaller bolts breaking but not the 6 mm ones.
    In the foreground is the 1/8th Aluminum plate I used to secure the battery mount to. It was used in the old installation and I managed to reuse it by drilling a few more holes.

Name:	2016_09_08_17_39_01_ProShot.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	17253

The brackets that go to the seat tube could not be used if I wanted to get the rack as low as possible so I used the brackets from the old Topeak. You can see where I cut the rod on the left side to clear the locking mechanism of the battery mount.

Name:	2016_09_09_14_54_25_ProShot.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	17254

The battery mount needed to be spaced up a bit clear the round bottom rails. My aluminum plate is 1/8" and I used 1/8" of rubber to make up the rest. The battery just slides in. You have enough room and no more.
    Here is the mounting plate screwed in ready to receive the battery mount.

Name:	2016_09_09_15_42_10_ProShot.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	17255

Finally with the battery in place.

Name:	2016_09_09_16_05_00_ProShot.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	17256

Now I can see myself carrying a second battery for some serious range. For my part I feel this was a worth while upgrade...........calfee
    Attached Files
    Last edited by calfee20; 09-10-2016, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    The Sturmey-Archer site: http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/3-speed shows 4 of these freehubs. They come in silver and black different spoke counts and with or without disc brakes. The freehubs are Compatible with standard MTB/ATB 9 and 8-speed cassettes• Compatible with standard MTB-ATB left hand shifter for front triple chain wheel. http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pro...l/cs-rk3-black

I was able to use my Shimano cassette and trigger shifters from another road bike. The only problem is the shift numbers are backwards. One being the highest speed and three the lowest. I really like it. You have so many gear choices that I didn't have to figure out what size drive sprocket I needed. I have 8 drive sprockets for any situation on the cassette.

I normally pedal around in 6th on the cassette but the other day when riding with younger non-ebikers I dropped to 5th and PAS 1 of 5 to extend my range and not over run them. I bring up the rear.

I got my hub from ebay:
    http://stores.ebay.com/The-Bikesmiths-Store . They don't have one now they only had the one when I bought it. I suspect someone ordered it and then didn't buy it. It came with a small parts kit which I didn't expect as they can vary slightly depending on your dropouts. I paid $93 shipping included. I did very well on that purchase.........calfee
    Last edited by calfee20; 09-10-2016, 09:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• paxtana
    replied
    Where did you get one of those sturmey archer hubs with the cassette? I been thinking I might like to try that, such a neat idea.

Is that a CS-RK3 it's called? Is there a place that sells it with more than just the hub or do you have to buy the shifter and separate?

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    1/4" is kind of thick...........it will be strong though.

• calfee20
    replied
    It just came today. I have most of the fitting done and made a few improvements over the old installation. I will have some photos up in a couple of days. I learned about the rack from this thread.

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...c-slimline-52v

calfee

Leave a comment:

• mtm408
    replied
    Looking forward to hearing if you find an alternate rack with a lower shelf that is wide enough. I'm just starting a build for my wife and chose the 52v slimline as well. My plan was to do something very similar to what you did and I've already ordered a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate to mount it.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Eric has requested some info on rides that we go on so I will start with a very basic one. There is a short but very nice path in my home town of Fairhaven MA. Sometimes I think it is the only thing they have done right. We have been waiting for years for Mattapoisett to connect up. When they do maybe Marion and Wareham will follow suit. Here are a couple of snips from "ridewithgps" if you haven't been there you should check it out. Click image for larger version

Name:	littlebay.PNG
Views:	272
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	16680

There is a little spur here that the map does not register. Click image for larger version

Name:	Bay2.PNG
Views:	283
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	16681

It is a very good stopping place and you frequently get it to yourself. There is also a bench so it is a good place to take break.

Here are a couple of shots from an old stone pier that goes back to at least before WW2. It could be older but I don't want to be caught lying Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_08_28_15_35_38_ProShot.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	16682

This is looking south from Little Bay. It opens into Buzzard's Bay and if you could see it Martha's Vineyard would be on the horizon with our fearless leader playing golf.

Finally a view to the East........I hope this isn't boring. Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_08_28_15_36_53_ProShot.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	16683

That is all for now I will be back with a write up of some bike paths on Cape Cod.
    Last edited by calfee20; 09-10-2016, 09:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    I have been thinking of adding a battery to add to my range. I am thinking of a Mighty Mini as a kind of reserve tank for my cruiser. A Topeak under seat bag fits kind of neat on my cantilever frame. Here is one that is a size to small. They do make one that will fit a Mini

Name:	2016_08_13_17_17_54_ProShot.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	16676

I really want to do this but it will have to wait because I have ordered a new rack to hold my 52 volt slim line and I am running out of money. To bad we have to pay real estate tax.......rats.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X