Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calfee20
    replied
    Well that is all for now. I can't think of anything else to do.............but I saw this on a youtube video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	250
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	13943

Note the battery under the rack. I was at my LABS looking at bike racks but none were wide enough. I will have to go where they sell touring supplies. But aside from that what do I need.........headlight, taillight. How about breaking into the harness and pulling a signal off the brake levers to operate a brake light hhhhuuummmmmmm.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    To use my Shimano trigger shifters I installed the magnetic reed switches that Luna sells. They have nice long leads too.

Name:	2016_08_08_10_48_11_ProShot (1).jpg
Views:	248
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	13848

Here it is installed on the backside of my Shimano 3 spd trigger shifter (note the magnet on the brake cable)

Name:	2016_08_08_10_49_54_ProShot.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	13849

With the switches mounted as shown just taking up the slack in the brake levers will kill the motor.

Electra has a few brackets under the down tube to hold the derailleur shift cable and housing. There was enough room in there to run another cable for the 3 spd hub.

Name:	2016_08_09_13_55_52_ProShot.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	13938

After I was done building the wheel I couldn't find a spoke protector so I decided to use the number one cog as one. There is no way I would need this much gearing in the bike anyway so I adjusted the derailleur to stop at cog 2.

Last edited by calfee20; 08-10-2016, 05:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Back in post #32 I talked about a Sram Dual drive but I decided to go with a Sturmey-Archer instead. I got the hub for less than $100 and it had the small parts kit. I don't know if I was supposed to get the small parts kit but I was happy. The SA hub is supposed to work with 3 spd front derailleur shifters so I will use the one from an older bike. I got an Alec DX-32 rim and some triple butted spokes and assembled the rear wheel.

Name:	2016_08_08_10_44_07_ProShot.jpg
Views:	1617
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	13846
    Last edited by calfee20; 08-09-2016, 06:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    In post number 46 I talked about an epoch freewheel that I installed along with a Shimino 8 speed trigger shifter. Well that was a disaster. I had shifting problems that kept getting worse. I was blaming the 8 spd shifter that didn't match the 7 spd freewheel but it turned out to be a bad freewheel. The #6 sprocket had a wobble in it and when I was in 7th it was always trying to climb into 6th.

I reinstalled one of my Shimano freewheels and everything was nice except for my top speed which leads to the next post.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    I can't seem to leave the bike alone. I decided to install a water bottle bracket but there were no threaded holes in the frame. I installed 2 with a rivnut tool that I used in my automotive days.

Name:	rvnut.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	13840

Name:	rivnut2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	13841

I just Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_08_09_13_56_02_ProShot.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	13937

I had to put some aluminum spacers under the bracket because of the curve of the tube. Those spacers went under the speakers of an old Honda Civic. I have been hoarding them for 30 years................man that scares the crap out of me.

​
    Last edited by calfee20; 08-10-2016, 04:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    I went out today after a rain and traveled on one muddy clay road. The rear flap worked perfectly. Not a spec of mud under the battery or anywhere in the back. Plenty got kicked up by the front wheel however. Mostly the motor unit and front tube got mucked up. I will have to make a front one soon but smaller because the front fender has better coverage than the rear.

Leave a comment:

• spinningmagnets
    replied
    I agree...well done, sir!
    Last edited by spinningmagnets; 07-12-2016, 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling sue to whiskey-osis

Leave a comment:

• Louis
    replied
    Nice! Well done!

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    My latest mod. I made a mud flap.........try not to laugh. I got into junk on the bike path and the bobbed rear fender kicked up a bunch of stuff onto the underside of the battery. So I made this up and it cost zero. I love it when scrounging pays off.

Name:	2016_07_11_15_12_28_ProShot.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	489.7 KB
ID:	11583Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_07_11_15_13_19_ProShot.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	475.5 KB
ID:	11584

I put that strip of aluminum on to give it shape. Well I can't go back because of the holes in the fender.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    I almost broke down the other day. I was riding hard to get home because of the rain and all at once the chain started jumping and slipping. I thought it was the new free wheel but after I limped home and got it on the stand I found a bent over chain wheel tooth. I cut the tip off and filed the burrs. Back in business but I guess I will have to get an Eclipse chain ring.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    I have had NO Madame Sheriff for 25+ years.

Leave a comment:

• Louis
    replied
    HAH! There's always something. I refuse to list all the upgrades in fear of Madame Sheriff seeing the list.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    My Electra 7D Lux is not the best shifting bike and I feel I should have a slightly taller gear. I bought this bike for $250 from a bike shop. It is an older model so it is technically not a 7D Lux but it has an aluminum frame and the fenders are a nice touch. I was told that the bike got lost in the back of a container and a with a pile of used bikes on top of it. That looked like it could be true so I bought it took it home pumped up the tires and took it for a ride.

It rode OK but shifted awful and the chain was rubbing on the tire. Back at my barn I realized that the derailleur tab was bent and on closer inspection the rear dropout was bent. Now I knew why it was in the back of the container. I used some of my press and puller tools to straighten the dropout and put the bike together. Shifting was still iffy.

The original freewheel was a Shimano mega-range with the following sprockets 14-16-18-20-22-24-34. I replaced this with a Shimano 14-16-18-20-22-24-28. It wasn't much different but it shifted better or I was getting better at adjusting the derailleur. I still needed a taller gear and found this online.

Name:	DNP Epoch.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	10983

This is an Epoch freewheel with 11-13-15-18-21-24-30. I had found that on my rides I was using 4 through 7 with my gearing and 4th is little to low. The Epoch freewheel came in yesterday and while I had the bike on the rack I cleaned and lubed the axle bearings and stole the derailleur from my Specialized road bike.

Name:	s-l225.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	10984

The reviews on this derailleur aren't the greatest but it is a couple of steps up from what Electra uses stock. This was a huge upgrade for me. second and third are to low but good for hay fields or rougher but flat walking paths. At 67 I am not by any means a mountain biker. Forth, the 18 tooth sprocket is a perfect for starting off and the top 3 gears are all I use on the bike path and roads around here. The 11 tooth sprocket will give me 20 mph at quick but not crazy cadence. 20 mph is what I feel is the top "comfortable" speed for my bike.

Oh and that derailleur switch was brilliant! Shifting is smooth and precise and all thoughts of a Sram dual drive or an IGH are gone, for now. BTW I have a 42 tooth chain ring on the BBSHD.

I hope this wasn't boring but I thought it was important to record what certain tooth counts will give you for relaxed Cruiser rides with a BBSHD. It would have been a good read for me before the build as I could have saved $25 on the second freewheel.

That will be all of the mods for a while because disc brakes will require a new hubs and relacing the rims..........unless I can scrounge up something.........calfee

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Christian Livingstone View Post
    Yeah,
    But, since you're doing some refining in the ride and positioning, I'll also recommend that you consider a simple and subtle modification by lowering the rack about 2", by simply pounding a slightly flattened spot on the strut post of the rack for drilling a hole about 2" higher, which would lower the rack and the weight center of the battery and bike itself a little, while also possibly making a slight visual enhancement.
    Actually maybe a different rack or racks with the battery underneath and a rack on top.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Louis Luna View Post

BTW Where in the world are you?
    Fairhaven Ma. We have had a bike path for a few years and if Mattapoisett would just link up it would open a path almost to the cape cod canal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X