No announcement yet.

BBSHD on an Electra Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well because of a problem with a 5 spd S-A hub I am back to this bike. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-tire-7d/page4 Some parts that were destined for the Fat bike went here.

I upgraded to Big Apple tires and I rate them very highly. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...ig-apple-tires

I tried to install a new chain without a new cassette..........that was a bad idea. I now have a Shimano 12-23 cassette and a new chain. This cassette is working very well with the S-A hybrid drive. I still feel as though I need a better rear derailleur. Nothing crazy maybe $50 to $100. A short arm version would work with this cassette.

I managed to cut up what was left of an old Topeak rack with the "MTX QuickTrack" system and wire tie to my Battery rack. I then installed a MTX TRUNKBAG EXP. It has paniers that zip out that will hold more than a gallon of milk or a 12 pak cans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	product-bags-rear-rack-bags-mtx-trunkbag-exp-mtx-trunkbag-exp-397c4248a5586907bc295eec08ce1299.png
Views:	29
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	38413
    The bike is more useful for shopping runs now. I will have to take a picture of the installation..........calfee

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the old Rapid Rise derailers and gripshirts. They're from the 8-9 speed era. Low normal. You can dump gears while stopped. The shift happpens when the bike rollls forward. They don't downshift as well under load. But with an IGH in the mix matbe not needed.

Calfee, I use my bike for grocery shopping trips quite often and realized I often didn't have enough room in my bike bags. I purchased a Burley Travoy trailer with the upper and lower market bags.

I really like it. My previous trailer was more of a cargo trailer and I hated leaving it on the bike when I went into a store. The Travoy unclips easily and I use it as a shopping cart which means I don't have to worry about it when I park and I never buy too much.

Comment

Here is a photo of my modified rack. I started out with an old Topeak and mounted a Slimline battery to it. Then I bought a double decker battery rack to better house the battery. Finally I cut up what was left of the old Topeak and wire tied with a little dense foam padding to my battery rack. Now I can install MTX QuickTrack items on the bike.

Name:	2017_06_27_11_52_11_ProShot.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	38575

Name:	2017_06_27_11_53_05_ProShot.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	481.9 KB
ID:	38576

You can also see the Body Float I installed on the bike. Both of these are great additions.

Comment

• Rider
        Rider commented
        Editing a comment
        Topeak makes some really great quick-release accessories. I especially like their big slide-on basket.

• mtm408
        mtm408 commented
        Editing a comment
        Topeak MTX stuff is great and I like the bag you have with the bottle holder. Bet it comes in handy.

I also like that Body Float! I'm jealous. I played with the idea of buying one, but I mount my mini cube battery under the seat as an alternative to my larger battery. Doesn't look like it would work with it.
        Last edited by mtm408; 06-29-2017, 10:48 AM.

Here is the latest. I was on the Cape Cod Rail trail and stopped at a LBS in Orleans. They had some Topeak Beam racks.

Name:	beam.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	47254
      The store owner offered me a pretty good price but I got him down more and bought three. I put the first one to use today

Name:	2017_10_05_16_32_53_ProShot.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	47255

Here is another view.

Name:	2017_10_05_16_33_02_ProShot.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	47256

Pretty soon I will be able to use my MTX bag on all of my bikes.

Comment

Sweeeeet! I really want this setup for the Townie but you snagged the slimline battery before I could. Tell me about the fenders. I looked at Big O, but their 3" is for 29er tires.

Comment

Thanks. I hope my 2.8 wide tires will fit the stock ones. What do think?

Comment

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good question. When I switched to Big Apples which are 2.35 things got tight in there. More in the front. There are no real adjustments either although flipping the mounting hardware so the nuts are exposed could give you the quarter inch or so you may need.

I found a LBS, well sorta local, with a pair. I hope they will help me check fit. Last time I was there they lost patience with me. I like the white ones with flowers. However Francesca will have a say. She put her foot down on tassels. I thought they were the greatest. Funny I like the girly stuff more than she does. I have a second set of tires and wheels for her Townie, 2.35 Dirty Dans. They have really tall knobs so I need wide and tall.

Comment

I have been neglecting this bike and quite frankly I forgot how nice it is. I have been working on the Paratrooper and the Electra Fat bike and I even stole the rack from a couple of posts up for the Paratrooper.

I was setting up a ride for last Saturday with my oldest daughter and my Electra Fat bike was giving me trouble. I pulled out old faithful. Dusted it off and installed a new Topeak rack. Good thing I bought an extra rack just because I like to have things laying around in case I need them. I installed a new chain for good measure, charged the battery and off we went.

I let her use the Paratrooper. It was still a little cool on the Blackstone River Bikeway but like I said I forgot how nice this bike is.

Name:	2018_03_31_13_13_11_ProShot.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	61113
          Last edited by calfee20; 04-02-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
            There wasn't too much interference so I decided to dimple the main tube with this rig. I crushed a piece of plywood to pad the underside of the frame and you can see not much of a dent was needed.
            May I ask what are the dimensions of that cylindrical tube you used? I am thinking of buying a wheel bearing to do this for the Electra fat 7D. Can't find scrap metal here.

Comment

Working...
            X