Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new build is a 2017 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2. Offroad Luna 120mm BHSSD, 24ahr triangle pack. Eclipse 42 chainring, gear sensor, 36-11 steel cassette, Brooks B67A saddle, Fisher Fab ebike light, carbon Upstand. Really liking this ride. Just need some warm weather! Only about ten miles right now.

Comment

• jf_parent
      jf_parent commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice bike! Could you provide some details? Like the size of BBSHD you ordered, the spacers used on each sides, and resulting chain alignment.

• Johnnysteez
      Johnnysteez commented
      Editing a comment
      I just bought a 2017 Cannondale fat caad 2. I want to add a bbshd to it. I have built 1 bbshd bike so far and now I want a fatty :) which adapters did you use in the BB30xl ? Any help much appreciated.

• YVG
      YVG commented
      Editing a comment
      Has anyone figured out what adapters are used for Cannondale fat caad 2, BB30xl?

Santa Cruz Chameleon 2011 Size Large

Lekkie BBSHD Bling Ring Chainring 42T
    Bottom Bracket Size: 68mm-73mm (Standard)
    Display Options: Luna 500c Mini Full Color Display
    Throttle Choices: Bafang BBSxx Universal Thumb Throttle
    Battery Options: 52v Luna Wolf 30q 12ah
    Gear Sensor for Derailleurs and Internal Geared Hubs

Fits perfectly, didn't need any spacers. Loving this setup.

Comment

My first ebike build. 2011 Merida 500 TFS Big Nine. Size 23". BBSHD Standard 68-73mm with one 1mm spacer. DIY 14S7P battery pack with 30Q cells. Eggrider display. Bafang 46T chainring. A strait forward jobb. No big issues. Terrible chain line so i rearranged the sprockets on the cassette. Use 8 insted of 10 gears. First test yesterday. Works great. Rainy day so i just went 15Km.

Comment

I built the montague first then the specialized epic. I gotta say, full suspension is the way to go!!

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice. What model year are these frames?

2006 Turner 5 Spot, size Large 19" frame.
        BBSHD, tweaked the settings to my liking.
        52v 16ah Hailong battery from UnitPackPower.
        Battery specs advertised as: 14S5P, NCR BD 3.7V 3200mAh 10A 3C Cells, BMS: 30 amp continuous 70±10 amp maximum.
        PreciAlps 42T Chainring. I tried a 52T for awhile as well but I got tired of switching back and forth and didn't see enough benefit.
        Shimano HG400 9 Speed cassette with 2 of the cogs rearranged (used as spacers) to improve the chainline.
        Sunlite 6" Unicycle Cotterless Crank Arms. They are heavy but I like the ground clearance!
        I put a thicker headset on to make sure the front tire doesn't hit the battery. Also added an extra firm coil on the fork to compensate for the weight.
        I made two strong velcro straps as an extra safety measure to prevent the battery from jiggling while offroad. They are under that homemade battery cover.
        I've put 4500 miles on it since I did the conversion 2 years ago. I bought an extra set of wheels to swap between dirt and street use.

Approximate range:
        • A 65 mile road ride with light assist (cruising around 12-15 mph) and had about 30% battery remaining,
        • A 65 mile road ride with moderate assist (cruising closer to 20 mph) using most of the battery,
        • Mountain biking fairly hard I get about 35-40 miles.
        Super fun bike. Probably the best DIY project I've ever done!

Last edited by matt300; 04-25-2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5AF90EB2-92F2-45A1-8C8D-3EB149FA9214.jpeg
Views:	1608
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	114453 Click image for larger version

Name:	F8BF18BA-24C1-40BD-8DA3-855F44291F63.jpeg
Views:	1547
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	114455 Click image for larger version

Name:	B0425081-C088-4053-84DF-25A6B31FAC23.jpeg
Views:	1553
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	114454 This is my first ebike build with a 2006/07 Motobecane Fantom DS Comp. The BBSHD fit great with no spacers. I went with the Lekkie Bling Ring 40T HD package that worked fantastic to bring the chain to center line, and has a built in chain guard for the front gear. Changing the drive cover was fairly easy to install this gear.
          I ordered the BBSHD package with the Hailong battery thinking that flipping the rear shock would provide the needed room, but ended up a bit too tight which was disappointing. But to make the battery work I used the Topeak Tetrarack that is designed to work with a full suspension frame. I have taken several rocky trails and some steep climbs and the battery mount on the rack seems to be holding great.
          Wire management was somewhat of an eyesore so I ended up using a low profile bike bag on the down tube to hide all the excess wires.
          eventually I think I will change out to a smaller 52v triangle battery to get more balance to the bike. The high battery in the back does feel a little too back heavy and a little less nimble. But I had no trouble through the trails and through an obstacle park. This is a great solution for a full suspension commuter bike.

I also opted to convert the wheels to Tubeless with the original tires and rims, using the 1” gorilla tape and Stans tire sealant. They seem to be holding well after a few rides to really get the sealant spread around. I ended up with about 3oz in each tire. I was really happy this worked being that neither the tire or rim were designed for tubeless.

Comment

2005 Specialized Epic Comp RC Medium been fantastic. I wish I had purchased a smaller battery the 17ah is way to much. Can easily do two trips to the trails on a single charge riding for 1.5hrs with pedaling and throttle usage. This is a great platform for a dual suspension bike.

Word of caution this is a cross country bike with only 100mm travel so your adding 13lb battery and 9lbs motor it makes the bike very heavy. If I had to start over I would have gotten a trail / enduro and used an 8ah -10ah 52v battery. The BBSHD is VERY VERY POWERFUL. It will climb like a goat on PCP. The only ISSUE and it's a rather BIG ONE is the throttle sensitivity is very hard to adjust if at all. It's either ON or OFF. So if your climbing a hill and need to make a sharp corner or go over a root make sure you gently get on the throttle well in advance of the obstacle or you will probably do a wheelie. It's very very torquey. Way too much torque in fact. One of the negative drawbacks IMO of the BBSHD is it's just to much power for throttle usage. Not sure if using a 52v battery over a 48v makes that much difference and most kits are 48v so that may also be a factor.
            Last edited by FIDIG; 04-23-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Rods
              Rods commented
              Editing a comment
              Have a trawl through the programming thread. Out of the box they are pretty awful. Worth finding a setting more suitable to your ride

• matt300
              matt300 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, custom programming helps a lot with the quirky throttle. Also, I had to replace my controller after riding through too many water crossings. The replacement controller I ordered from Luna solved my throttle issues completely after customizing the programming. I can even continue pedalling while adding throttle and it is completely smooth. It's not ON/OFF at all anymore.

I'm in my 50's and wanted an activity to get some exercise and get out of the house during the pandemic. I had a 20 year old mountain bike that I haven't ridden in 10 years, so I decided to build an ebike on a budget. I ended up getting the Bafang 500w/36v mid drive and a 36v/13ah battery for a reasonable price. The hardest part of the build was removing the crank arms and the crank. I ruined the crank arm removal tool that came with the kit and had to buy a Park Tool crank CWP-7. I also had a hard time getting the crank out. It was an older cone style bearing crank and didn't use the normal removal process.

Once I got all the old parts off, the build was pretty straightforward. The kit included both new brake levers and even a headlight.

Since my point was not to build the fastest bike, it was to build a bike where I could control how much assist so that I could get some exercise and still have a good time. With a moderate assist, I can go about 50 miles on a charge at about 15 MPH. That's perfect for exploring all the great bike trails near me.

Specs: 18" aluminum frame, 26x1.95 smooth tires, front suspension, suspension seat post (not pictured), Bafang BBS02B 500w/36v, 36v/13ah/25A battery, P850C display, optional shift sensor.

Name:	My Bike.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	128152

Comment

Originally posted by matt300 View Post
              2006 Turner 5 Spot, size Large 19" frame.
              BBSHD, tweaked the settings to my liking.
              52v 16ah Hailong battery from UnitPackPower.
              Battery specs advertised as: 14S5P, NCR BD 3.7V 3200mAh 10A 3C Cells, BMS: 30 amp continuous 70±10 amp maximum.
              PreciAlps 42T Chainring. I tried a 52T for awhile as well but I got tired of switching back and forth and didn't see enough benefit.
              Shimano HG400 9 Speed cassette with 2 of the cogs rearranged (used as spacers) to improve the chainline.
              Sunlite 6" Unicycle Cotterless Crank Arms. They are heavy but I like the ground clearance!
              I put a thicker headset on to make sure the front tire doesn't hit the battery. Also added an extra firm coil on the fork to compensate for the weight.
              I made two strong velcro straps as an extra safety measure to prevent the battery from jiggling while offroad. They are under that homemade battery cover.
              I've put 4500 miles on it since I did the conversion 2 years ago. I bought an extra set of wheels to swap between dirt and street use.

Approximate range:
              • A 65 mile road ride with light assist (cruising around 12-15 mph) and had about 30% battery remaining,
              • A 65 mile road ride with moderate assist (cruising closer to 20 mph) using most of the battery,
              • Mountain biking fairly hard I get about 35-40 miles.
              Super fun bike. Probably the best DIY project I've ever done!
              I loved my 5-Spot (until it was stolen). I am seriously considering finding another to do a build on. Does that battery not fit inside the triangle?

Comment

Here's my latest build.
                2008 Santa Cruz Blur LT. Size Large.
                BBS02, stock
                EM3ev battery, 48v, 17.4Ah
                Chainring is either the stock 46T that comes in the kit or a 36T Lekkie, depending on terrain.
                Having the battery inside the triangle makes a huge difference off road. I only have 50-60 miles on it to date, but it is a lot of fun.

Name:	IMG_0770.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	128407
                Attached Files

Comment

I got another one. 2017 Breezer https://archive.breezerbikes.com/201...ack-275-team-2
                  Still working out a few things but it's about 95% there. One ISCG tab and section needed to be cut off. Chain line is a real issue. Not enough offset with a Lekkie 42T chainring. Not sure what to do about this. The chain stay lines up with small sprocket and I belive it should line up with the middle cog.

Name:	PXL_20210531_221321051.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	129251

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_24827.png Views:	3 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	129963 I like older frames as they are strong and accomodate the motors well.

Comment

• 73Eldo
                      73Eldo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice. Can't be too many full suspension bikes out there with a brooks style sprung saddle. Red chain ring all that was in stock? Its almost the leather color to go with the grips and saddle. Hey there's an idea, lets make leather chain rings?

• vonkas
                      vonkas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As you might gather, I'm into creature (me) comforts. The Brooks is hard like a log but virtually 'disappears' when you pedal. On day rides, I found nothing beats it in terms of comfort. My customised springs are not really required, but I have carried them over from another bike for nostalgic reasons. The red ring was discounted but the bike has other red accents. I'm not chasing matching things (budget) but I'm guided by things that works. Usually the results are acceptable to the eye.
                      Last edited by vonkas; 1 week ago.
                  Working...
                  X