2018 Motobecane Boris the Brut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubeless

Converting to tubeless has been on my to do list for quite some time. I actually got everything to do it when I purchased The Brut. I didn't see any point in converting the tires until it was ready to roll out. Just a waste of sealant letting it sit. Well with the end in sight, battery being ordered this week and just waiting on that to finish my build before it rolls out, I couldn't bare it any longer. I tore into the project this past weekend. This was not my first time doing tubeless but i did find doing Fat Bike Tires a little more time consuming. Perhaps some of that was the fact I inflated them with a track pump and not an air compressor, lol. Fun Times. The Vee Bulldozers fit to the Mulefut Rims really snugly and I really needed the tire levers to get them off. Being this snug came in really handy later though as they inflated and seated easily. Heck I did the whole job with a track pump and it went pretty well I thought.

Stan's No Tubes Tire Sealant
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	20.8 KB ID:	84762
    I went with regular Tire Sealant. I was planning to use the Race Sealant because I've heard it plugs the holes better. However, I've also read reports of it drying up in 2 weeks. So regular Tire Sealant it is.

Stan's No Tubes The Injector
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	84763
    As snug as the tires were on the rims this was definitely nice to have. I screwed The Injector on the valve stem, of course with the valve core removed, kinked the hose, removed the plunger filled to the 2 ounce line and repeated this step 4 times. I used the plunger only at the end to completely clear the line. I think this will be helpful for topping off the Tire Sealant for maintenance in the future.

Stan's No Tubes 35mm Presta Universal Valve Stems
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	159.1 KB ID:	84764
    They work but I think they may need to be just a little tighter than hand tight. I had one that would loosen when I would put the valve core in. Maybe some Vibrex, lol.

Sun Rim Tape, 78mm Wide
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	39.2 KB ID:	84765
    I went with the rim tape recommended for setup. I know many professional shops use Gorilla Tape. I have that option sitting on my workbench. From an Interview I saw with the owner of Stan's No Tubes he recommended using the tape because over time they found in their tests that Gorilla Tape would absorb some of the Stan's and become delaminated. Figured it didn't hurt to try the recommended product first. If need be I got the Gorilla Tape on stand by.

Pedro's Tire Levers

These came highly recommended as a tool to be in my Break Down Kit. Well they came in real handy for getting these tires converted. They performed as highly as they were recommended.
    Last edited by pure_mahem; 04-02-2019, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• pure_mahem
      pure_mahem commented
      Editing a comment
      I was having some issues with my front tire holding air after going tubeless. It was a very slow leak but with in 2 days my tire would be completely flat and I would have to pump it up. I couldn't find any air leaks by sight or sound. I removed the wheel from the bike, reinflated it to max 20 psi per the tire and proceeded to swash the fluid in the wheel back and forth all the way around and then turned the wheel over and did it again. With a 26x4.7 fat tire that's quite the work out let me tell you. I reinstalled the wheel on the bike and gave it some good spins in both directions while turning the handle bars in as many directions as I could. I did this for about 10 to 15 mins. The tire now seems to be holding air quite well. I've checked it after a week and its at 18 psi that seems more like normal air dissipation to me. Of course I always air my tires up to proper pressure before riding but its nice not have to pump up a flat every other day, Especially when your using a track pump to do so, lol.

Tubeless (continued)
    Versa 360 Valve Core Removal Tool
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	83.3 KB ID:	84768
    Another item from my Brake Down Kit. It worked well. I don't like the chain on the tool when trying to use it. But I like it for being in my kit because I can hook it to other items that makes it easy to find.

Zefal Air High Volume Pro-G Track Pump
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	204.3 KB ID:	84769
    This is the cheapest pump I would buy from Walmart. I got mine almost 5 years ago. I bought the cheapest pump. The gauge didnt work and it blew a 29er tire off the rim I was inflating on the bike in my living room. I thought someone shot me! When my senses finally came back I exchanged the pump and order a new wheel set. This pump works fairly well. Perhaps the gauge isn't supe accurate it is close.

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive High Volume Cycling Pump
    Click image for larger versionName:	Views:	1Size:	18.9 KBID:	84770
    This is the pump in my Break Down Kit. This is not going to get it done. Perhaps its good for topping off tire pressures but you may be there 8 hours trying to pump up a Fat Tire. I hope I never have to fully inflate a tire on the side of the road with it. That's not a slam against the pump. It's a very good pump. Just not for this role. I think I may look into an electric inflator to add to my Break Down Kit

Topeak D2 Smart Gauge
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	156.4 KB ID:	84771
    Great Gauge! Makes checking your tire pressure quick and easy and the head is rotatable so you can adjust it to your preference.

Slime Presta to Schrader Valve Adapter

I put these in my Break Down Kit if you find yourself in need of air at any gas station, service station, or convenience store across the country they are not going to be capable of putting air into a Presta Valve without one of these adapters and that will leave you SOL! I will often screw one right on to the Presta Valve itself and add a Schrader Valve cover to the top of it.
    Last edited by pure_mahem; 04-01-2019, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Tubeless (continued)
      Lezyne Tubeless Kit
      Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	279.9 KB ID:	84774
      With going Tubeless I had to upgrade my Break Down Kit the old patch kit aint gonna cut it anymore. I didn't remove the patch just added the Lezyne Tubeless Kit in with it. My trailer still uses tubes and I carry a spare for the bike just in case. It's good to be prepared.

Vee Tire Company 26x4.00 Fat Bike Inner Tube
      Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	200.4 KB ID:	84775
      I gained 2 inner tubes by converting to tubeless I added one to my Break Down Kit.
      Last edited by pure_mahem; 04-01-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Kickstand
        Pletscher Multi Flex Rear Mounted Kickstand

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	85225
        Saw this in Money Pit's Fat Bike build post and just had to have one. At this time only way I could get my hands on one was by going to Rose Bikes website and ordering one straight from Germany.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	92330
        Last edited by pure_mahem; 08-25-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• pure_mahem
          pure_mahem commented
          Editing a comment
          If my experience is normal. You will be waiting a while for this. Tracking only lets you know where your package is up to the point it lands in the US. So if you're planning on using one of these in your build and need to get it from Germany, order early cause it's gonna take a while.

• pure_mahem
          pure_mahem commented
          Editing a comment
          Took about 3 weeks but honestly it was worth it it mounts solid you can adjust the height to have the bike stand where you want it (the amount of lean it has). It easily swings up out of the way and stays where you put it when deployed. No Regrets on this purchase. Some things are well worth the wait!

• pure_mahem
          pure_mahem commented
          Editing a comment
          I found when towing my trailer the trailer arm rubs on my kickstand and scratched the paint up pretty good from just one ride. No structural damage but it did scratch the paint on the kickstand straight through to bare metal. Not a mark on my trailer arm. The kickstand being well set in it's final mounting location and adjusted to the correct height. I removed the adjustment screw for the leg added some thread locker and I took a piece of Marine Grade Shrink Tubing and covered the entire leg. This has completely resolved the issue. It covers the Rose logo on the kickstand but doesnt look out of place so win win.

I'll be interested in how long before you quit carrying a spare tube

I "converted" (in the religious sense?) to stans in tubes (too lazy to go tubeless) a few years ago and even riding in AZ desert haven't seen a flat in many thousands of miles and no longer carry tire repair (I don't even bother with a gauge any more) beyond the old pump attached to the seat post - which only use has been to help others although I suppose it might get pulled out if I choose to air up on the occasion I take it down real low for deep, steep sand... but probably not Click image for larger version

Name:	lol.gif
Views:	10
Size:	438 Bytes
ID:	85229

I'm running a similar combo as you are... 197mm boris, 80mm mulefuts and 4.7x26" bulldozers

Comment

• pure_mahem
          pure_mahem commented
          Editing a comment
          I will probably carry it for the summer til I gain more confidence in the Stans. I know one thing. I will be most likely walking if I have to pump up one of these tires from flat with the bike pump. Definitely aint gonna set a bead with it.

• pure_mahem
          pure_mahem commented
          Editing a comment
          Already made the decision to ditch the tube. That lasted long. I may take it if I go on a long bike packing trip but for everyday riding I'm gonna fore go it.

Good thread.
        Highly recommend the Luna electric pump.
        I also have a recommendation on the kickstand if the one you have is not suitable .
        BV Adjustable Bicycle Bike Kickstand with Concealed Spring-Loaded Latch, for 24-29 Inch Bicycles (Black)

Comment

• pure_mahem
          pure_mahem commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you it will be included in my next order as soon as my funds clear processing limbo. I was looking for one of these on amazon and have been very skeptical of the chinesium offerings every one seems to have a good share of mixed reviews. I didn't know Luna had one available and the fact you can use it off your ebike battery, Definitely! Big Thanks on this Recommendation!

Lights - Front (updated)
        NiteRider Lumina Micro 850 Headlight
        Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	85618
        As I noted I was looking at the NiteRider Lumina 900 & 1100 Boost lights. However the 900 &1100 is not the normal run mode of those lights. You would essentially only use the max lumen mode of those boost lights in an emergency. The NiteRider Lumina Micro 850 Headlight comes in a smaller package, has a better mount, and has longer run times in the low and mid modes of the light. Sounds like a winner to me. Not to mention this light comes highly recommended in many reviews and forum groups from Mountain Bikers to City Riders. I will be eliminating the Securitying Lights, the switch and the rat nest of wires that mess entails, and I will no longer need the heavy duty Lamphus mounts for this application. I will keep at least one of the Anker PowerCore packs on my bike so I can recharge USB lights as needed and charge my phone when need be. I will use the Origin8 Eyelet Stubs to mount these on my Forks in the same location the Securitying Lights were mounted. It definitely makes for a cleaner presentation and will allow me to easily remove the lights for security.

Name:	
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	92331
        Last edited by pure_mahem; 08-25-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Tubeless (updated)
          Lezyne Classic Tubeless Repair Kit

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	58.1 KB ID:	85703
          I had the Lezyne Tubeless Kit in my cart just about to pull the trigger and saw this little kit in the Customers also purchased for about $8 dollars cheaper. What a bargain and in my thinking a better kit. The tool itself is bound to cause less pressure in the hand during use. The Storage container it comes with offers loads of free room inside. I think there will be just enough room inside that kit to add the contents of my VP-1 Park Tool Vulcanizing Patch Kit that I carry for the tires on my cargo trailer. Thinking i can also add a few other items related to tire repair and care as well. Like a spare valve stem, a couple valve cores, the Versa 360 Valve Core Removal Tool, a dollar bill for use as a tire boot, a Presta/Schrader Valve Adapter and a spare Valve cover cap.

I liked the design of the Lezyne Repair Kit it's nice and sleek and would be practical for just sliding in a pocket before a ride. But I carry a number of tools in a small zip up travel utility bag and as you can imagine space in that bag is at a premium. Perhaps I would of been able to fit all those items in the Lezyne Repair Kit but I don't think they would be as easy to access and I'm sure something would of gotten scrunched or even worse punctured (the vulcanizing fluid). Somehow I can just picture the part I would need being stuck at the bottom of that tube container and me not being able to get it with large,cold, numb, shivering sausage fingers in a down pouring rain in the dark. Some would say I'm a real pessimist or Debbie Downer thinking that. I think I prefer the term Practical Realist with insightful fore thought, lol.

VP-1 Park Tool Vulcanizing Patch Kit
          Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	219.0 KB ID:	85705
          Everything you need for repairing inner tubes, nothing you don't.

Luna E-Pump

Name:	
Size:	874.3 KB
ID:	86689
          Yes! Yes! Yes! Just Get One! Came in a cigar type box with the design as shown in the picture pretty cool!
          Last edited by pure_mahem; 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Well other than upgrading the brakes...eventually I completed my build today. Now there's not much left to do but get it out and ride it and take some pictures. Unfortunately it rained all day today and lots of rain in the forecast this week. So it still may be a little while before I can get you all some actual pictures of the real thing. If there's anything anyone would like more pictures of or in depth pictures I will do my best upon request.

Comment

Got to go for my first ride today. 9.7 Miles. I way over thought what I needed to climb my hills. Anyone need a Wide Ratio Cassette? Guys I weigh as of last month 385 lbs. You see what I'm riding if you read this thread. I climbed the worst hill I could find today in my area like it was nothing in throttle mode and I wasn't even in my lowest gear. Honestly I'm not a speed freak I think I may have mentioned that, the worst part was coming back down the hill, lol. Sorry still no pictures it ended up sprinkling.

Some other ride notes:
              I don't get to pedal that much. The bike handles the hills on it's own, if I pedal I'm just looking like I'm doing something. You get to the top of a hill then you get to go down it. I use the brakes quite a bit. My top speed for comfort right now is about 15 mph max and I'm good with less. I've got all day to get where I'm going. Get to pedal on the flats but there doesn't seem to be a lot of those. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining just stating observations. I initially did think I would be pedaling more. It's ok that I'm not, lol.

I need to lower my seat. I have it set properly for pedaling as a regular bike. Perhaps I wasn't riding long enough to notice this issue before. As I wasnt traveling anywhere near as long before taking a break. But my hands were freaking killing me. They kept going numb from having to much pressure on them. So either I lower my seat or buy a new set of bars and a new stem to bring them up and back a bit. Since pedaling doesn't seam to be that much of an issue. I think the easiest solution is to just lower my seat. which actually means I need to cut the seat post. So that's on the To Do List.

I need some good gloves for riding. I think the padding would help with the pressure issue some. Also with the rain today my hands were freezing. I was wearing shorts and a hoodie I could feel it was kind of chilly but the only thing that bothered me was my hands. Of course going numb from the above stated issue surely didn't help. Still....need gloves though. some good full fingered ones added protection all the way around.

I had my tires inflated to 20 psi which is max for them. 99% of my ride today was on pavement. There was definite tire buzz but it didn't really bother me. I can see where it could bug some people though. I ended up removing the Front PDW Mudguard it just wasn't necessary.

After 9.7 miles and doing all the hills I had concerns about plus a few others I'm impressed.

I charged my Luna Wolf V2 52V 12AH 30Q to when the charger shut it off yesterday. At that time it read 58.8 Checking the Voltage before the ride today the battery read 58.5 I'm guessing that was the battery balancing itself??? Returning from the ride it reads 51.9

Reading the paperwork that came with my battery it said to charge to 100% the first 5-6 times but not let it sit for more than a day before using it. Not to charge right after a ride or use right after charging. Seeing how it's supposed to rain worse tomorrow than today. Guess I'm good for now.

Got to be some sunny or at least non rainy days coming so I can take some pics.

I did see in a Youtube video of an e bike shop that they recommended spokes and cables being adjusted after some initial riding Especially for heavy riders. So I think I will put a few smaller trips like this on eBoris and take it into the LBS so they can do that. I don't need to be snapping spokes. I used the brakes a lot coming down hills today and I think the front brake has a little more pull than it should have before it starts grabbing so it will be good to have them check that out for sure.

Even though it was sprinkling and I did a lot of braking today I did not have any squealing or noise come from my brakes.

Overall Very Pleased!

Comment

• AZguy
                AZguy commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd stick with the wide ratio cassette and just put a larger chain ring on - this will raise your low gear where you want it and having high gears that you may not use or may use very infrequently is a good thing since it avoids using the small cogs that will usually start skating before the rest and so you should get more life from the cassette

My experience from mucho mileage on motos is that the tingling is usually more related to the wrist angle and that the proper bars are the way to go... If you sit on the bike, close your eyes, lean forward to the comfortable position, completely relax your wrists and then bring your hands to where it feels like the bars are supposed to be (with eyes closed - no cheating =] ), that is likely close to where they should be. You really want to have some of your weight supported by your arms or your back will pay for it...

20psi is way too high for me on fatties - I'd try much lower... say 10-12psi, certainly no more than 15...
                Last edited by AZguy; 05-15-2019, 04:54 AM.

Sound Advice AZguy.

Currently I have the Cassette my bike came with installed which seems to be an all steel SRAM. I have the wide range cassette but i would have to buy a new derailleur for it to function correctly. Since I'm at this point discovering what I have serves my needs. I'm gong to run this until it needs replacing. I really had low gears to spare climbing hills I definitely thought I would need more for.

When I set my bike up I went more of the MTB type set up. All about having your seat set for best pedal stroke and not really caring about whether your feet can touch the ground or not. Doing this it makes it kind of awkward for stopping as I'm on my tip toes when I need to stop.

Realistically I need more of a commuter set up where even if I'm sitting on the seat I can almost stand flat footed on the ground with just my heal slightly elevated. The way they installed the water bosses I can't lower my seat any farther with out giving the post a little trim. Doing that I know it will affect how much pressure my hands are putting on the bars.

But it very well may not be the total solution. I will play with the bars too if need be. Also I may just have to live with the pressure as it could be from all the braking on the down hills I was doing. I rechecked my position today on the bike while it was stationary. Im pretty sure I was keeping my wrists straight. But they may not have been when I was doing the downhills.

Im gonna have to work on checking my hand position...I keep cheating lol

I went with the higher tire pressure because I was on pavement and knew I wouldn't need extra grip and I was actually worried about getting poor range from low pressure. I think Im going to start keeping a log book so I can make note of things like that to see what effects they have and have a record of use for the battery as well.

Comment

• AZguy
                AZguy commented
                Editing a comment
                If the derailleur and the cassette don't work together somethings got to give - but I prefer wide for the reasons I mentioned and that they all get used at some point (11-46t x 42t)

Have you considered a dropper seatpost?

For me, even on pavement, 15psi seems on the high side of things... IMO the power in fat isn't so much they are fat is that they excel at low pressure - skinny tires need pressure... fat don't need so much

Low pressure may not be as efficient but I've got a big box of 'trons and have more than ample range so don't care at all... my advice... let go..... ommmmmmmmmmm... electric is good =]
                Last edited by AZguy; 05-15-2019, 06:57 PM.

Something I just thought about from my ride...not so much of an issue on my ride the other day but I did have 2 cars sneak up on me and I did not hear them coming at all. I previously use bike mounted mirrors on the rolling Walmart Death Machine and they were useless. So I'm going to add a Helmet mounted mirror. The ones with metal rods right next to your eye or that mount on your glasses give me the heebee jeebees. I like the looks of the EVT Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror. Price is kind of high but it comes with a 5 year warranty and its made in USA so for $40 what the hell. Besides it doesnt give me the heebee jeebees just looking at it.

Name:	
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	87026

Comment

• pure_mahem
                pure_mahem commented
                Editing a comment
                This came yesterday. I mounted it up last night and tried it out today. Great bit of kit. It's not overly intrusive, it's easy to position and gives you a crystal clear image. Just have to remember to check it. I was able to see a lawn care truck pulling a trailer come up behind me that i wouldn't of known was there other wise. I have a tendency of taking the lane when I ride and nobody's around unless there's a bike lane. I move over if I know someones behind me and this helps me do that I can see them coming well in advance so I can be courteous and get out of their way. Wish I had bought one of these years ago!

They suggested mounting this with zip ties. I actually drilled 4 holes through the bracket and into the helmet. Installed 4 threaded nutserts in the helmet and used 5M Panhead bolts to secure it in place and filed of the little hook at the back of the bracket. I was thinking to put some sort of silicone, rubber cement or even hot glue to eliminate any vibrations but it's not necessary.

My most recent addition. I can't even tell you how effective this is, lol

Name:	
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	92334
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X