Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomster View Post
    Very interesting read on this Cruiser!!
    I plan to get the same bike and install an TSDZ2 mid motor kit because i like the torque related controller.

But im also open for a BBS02B in the 350W range.
    What im not sure about at the moment is if i like the Bafang PAS controller.
    Is it really only following the pedal speed for assisting?
    I do like to bike and give my input, i dont want a moped....
    The 2 motors you mentioned will not fit the Electra Fat because the Electra has a 100mm bottom bracket.

Comment

Thanks for the answer.
      i will either get the 100mm option from futurebike.it
      Or cut down the BB to a 73ish BB to improve chainline as well since i get the 7D.
      My concern with the Tongsheng is if i can mount it upside-down on this frame... If not i will go with a Bafang

Comment

What do you think, will the TSDZ2 fit in the electra frame?

Comment

I got a deal on a lightly used Fat FD7 in Germany!
          Hope to pick it up next weekend.
          I will start a thread for the build!

Comment

Originally posted by tomster View Post
            I got a deal on a lightly used Fat FD7 in Germany!
            Hope to pick it up next weekend.
            I will start a thread for the build!
            Here you go 49 pages of information for you to read. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...p?f=28&t=79788

Comment

Thanks a lot calfee20! I follow that thread since a month, made my decission on that for my sisters MTB. She loves it!

Comment

Anyone have ideas on how to make the stock tires for this bike more resistant to flats?

Comment

• g725s
                  g725s commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Calfee20, Do you think Tubeless is doable with the stock tires and rims? I'm not looking spend more money on new tires and rims. Just want to make the existing tire more durable. Have you done this to the existing tires?

I think I'm at least going to do tire-liners and the best tube I can find filled with puncture sealant. I just want to make it home if I do get a puncture.

With these tires, I'm wondering if the 2XL Mr. Tuffy liners would be enough for these tires or I should go with the 3XL. These are not super big fat tires. Thoughts?

And any recommendation on the best possible tube for these stock tires?
                  Last edited by g725s; 10-21-2017, 09:35 AM.

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I run stans

• calfee20
                  calfee20 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bought some Stans a few weeks ago and I will try it soon.

I haven't tried it yet. I have read some articles and now that I am running a rear hub motor that makes changing the rear tire a pain I may. http://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06...nutes-of-work/

Comment

• g725s
                  g725s commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah and probably not a bad idea to bring along a tire repair kit ;-)

Boy I have been reading all about the Electra fat tire and I want one now. There is a dealer about 50miles away and may go look tomorrow. If they have it in stock I probably will bring home then start collecting parts for the build. I was Leary of the dimpled tubes procedure and am not real sure how I am going to accomplish that part but everyone seems to get it done. I need to go back and re-read all this again and make a parts list. I have all winter to work on this it was -18 the past 2 mornings here in Michigan. So a good winter project and my first E-bike and I will be the one who built it. Two days ago I was about to pull trigger on a rad rover because it looked good to a noob like me. Now two days later I and pretty confident I can build this cruiser bike with a nice mid drive motor.
                any advice from those who have done this I am willing to listen.
                hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap View Post
                  Boy I have been reading all about the Electra fat tire and I want one now. There is a dealer about 50miles away and may go look tomorrow. If they have it in stock I probably will bring home then start collecting parts for the build. I was Leary of the dimpled tubes procedure and am not real sure how I am going to accomplish that part but everyone seems to get it done. I need to go back and re-read all this again and make a parts list. I have all winter to work on this it was -18 the past 2 mornings here in Michigan. So a good winter project and my first E-bike and I will be the one who built it. Two days ago I was about to pull trigger on a rad rover because it looked good to a noob like me. Now two days later I and pretty confident I can build this cruiser bike with a nice mid drive motor.
                  any advice from those who have done this I am willing to listen.
                  hap
                  I don't know where you are, but last year when I was looking for them the Electra site would tell you what dealers had them in stock. Electra's site doesn't seem to do that any more. Last year there was a dealer around Deetroit that always seemed to have one in stock. I am not sure if this was the place but http://ddbicyclesandhockey.com/produ...d-288372-1.htm Let your phone be your friend and do a lot of calling.

I have a friend with a Radrover. It is a nice bike but if you buy a prebuilt bike it will generally be limited to 750 watts and 20 mph.

Comment

Thanks I am going to my closest bike shop. 45 Miles....I want to buy from them to establish a relationship for the future. Like taking out my lower bracket stuff! If they don't have it in stock I will wait if they want to order it. It has warmed up today it is 15 degrees feels so warm compared to the -18 past few days. So not in huge hurry I really like the RadRover but if I am not going to be happy with it down the road why not go Big now.

Comment

I am the one who actually cut a divot near the bottom of the seat tube, and after two years of riding, it hasn't shown any signs of crack propagation. The seat tube is primarily feeling compression forces, and in fact, there have been several bicycle frame designs that had no seat tube at all.

that being said, if I were to ever do this again, I would use the method shown earlier where a large dimple is pressed-in.

I have cut up frames for custom projects before, and I can state that the Electra frames use a thicker tube wall than common aluminum frames, and they use a stronger grade of aluminum, instead of the big-box store frames which use recycled Chinese beer cans.

Comment

Hi Spinning Magnets

Thank you for all your info.

Sorry for the redundant question, but I have read conflicting info.

1) Is it possible to dimple my 7D Fat frame and mount the 100m BBSHD motor inside the triangle while still keeping the stock Chain ring? Will my Chain line be acceptable for high speed or will it cause problems?

Comment

JMCAL, It is controversial as to whether a builder should dimple or cut the seat tube of an Electra, in order to mover the motor inside the triangle. It is not a requirement, but I simply wanted to see if it can be done. I have had it over two years, and I have not seen any problems. I ride on city streets at an occasional 30-MPH (mostly cruising at 20). I would NOT recommend making any alterations to the downtube, since it is much more stressed than the seat-tube. In fact, there are several frame designs with no seat-tube at all.

I think making a dimple instead of cutting out a divot (like I did) is stronger, but requires more time and effort. I have had no problems with the chainline, and I highly recommend swapping to a smaller chainring (keep the old chainring as a backup).

Comment

Nice, I did a similar build. Fun cruiser, super stable at high speed too.

Comment

Working...
                            X