Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    I like to buy my tube blocks here http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/f...be-blocks.html. These are economical and functional aluminum tube blocks.

I got 1 1/8", 1 1/4", 1 3/8" and 1 1/2".

Click image for larger version  Name:	snip.PNG Views:	1 Size:	307.1 KB ID:	68499
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-03-2018, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    commented on 's reply
    OK, thanks.

I upgraded my house to 200A, and added a 100A circuit and box to my back shop for the welder, permitted, and saw no related costs or welder questions. But I'm in the 'burbs with ample infrastructure. 15 years ago or so. But now i see your point about how/why they may react.

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    They may start talking about a special service and upgrades to the transformers that you have to foot the bill for. This happened to me 40+ years ago when I wanted to put a 100 amp service in my barn. I was asked about the kind of equipment and 5 hp air compressor and other tools were ok. Then I mentioned welding and all of my plans came to a halt because the expense would be to great.

Now I live in the sticks at the end of a line and that may have had something to do with it. If it looks like you are going to do business at the location that can also get dicey. If there is one word that I will not use around a power company official it is welder.

• JPLabs
    replied
    Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

Don't do it. The last thing you want to do is to tell the power company that you weld.
    Why is this? Do some prohibit it? That sounds ominous, what's the problem?

I'm pretty sure it's obvious to them from the usage data, anyway, if they want to know.
    Last edited by JPLabs; 02-25-2018, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    One hopefully interesting bit of trivia is that the water cooler is called a Miller Coolmate 1.3 because it hold 1.3 gallons of coolant.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    Back to the topic of the shared coolant return/power line between the power supply and the torch, I found out that the power cable is in the middle and the (return flow of) coolant flows around this power cable. I wonder what size cable it is. As a point of reference, the wire size of my grounding clamp cable is 2 AWG.

Jody Collier discusses this matter in some detail at the 13:15 mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lplipcJ5cyc
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 02-24-2018, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    Speaking of water cooled torches, here is a cutaway picture of a CK 20 series torch head. The coolant flows around the head.

Click image for larger version  Name:	water cooled.PNG Views:	1 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	58783

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    I am down to needing only one more thing, the helmet https://store.cyberweld.com/3m-speed...101-30isw.html

I am so excited to get crackin'.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    Am I the only person who finds it amazing that the both the water return and power are shared on that single red hose? How in the Heck is all that power (up to 210A at 220V) transmitted through what appears to be just a water hose?
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 02-24-2018, 08:54 PM.

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, both of the coolant connections on the Coolmate 1.3 are LH threads. If they didn't do this, you know some idiot (possibly me) would send the coolant through the gas lines in the power supply.

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    Left hand threads on some of the fittings.

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, that picture is in one of my manuals, and I closely looked at the Dinse connector with the water return passing through it, but I actually needed a link to the part so that I could buy it. The part is called a "standard water-cooled connector", and I bought this one: https://www.millerwelds.com/accessor...r-18-20-195377

I know that the coolant line will thread into my Miller Coolmate 1.3 and that the Dinse connector will plug into my Miller power supply. I really hope that my CK Worldwide torch threads into the standard water-cooled connector". I think it will!

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post
    I was unable to figure out how to connect the red "coolant in" hose. I looked at the owner's manuals for the welder, water cooler and torch, but I have to research further to see how to connect it.
    I notice that the torch you bought is not a miller. I also found a pdf from miller that shows adapters too connect different torches. http://www.millerwelds.com/~/media/m.../e/a/ay7-2.pdf

Page 4 of the pdf has the adapters. I also grabbed a photo out of the pdf.

Click image for larger version

Name:	miller.PNG
Views:	285
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	58770

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    If asked, I could just say that it is a 220V outlet for a dryer in the garage.

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post

My Dad and I put in one 220V, 50A outlet in the garage. This will probably be a problem with the landlord at some point. I should have obtained a permit; I will have to see about retroactively legitimizing this outlet.

There is still a fair amount more to buy. It has been all work and no play for me since the New Year. I have created a lot of friction with management by maxing out my overtime every week.
    Don't do it. The last thing you want to do is to tell the power company that you weld.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X