No announcement yet.

Frame building shop tools

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am down to needing only one more thing, the helmet

I am so excited to get crackin'.

Speaking of water cooled torches, here is a cutaway picture of a CK 20 series torch head. The coolant flows around the head.

Click image for larger version  Name:	water cooled.PNG Views:	1 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	58783

Back to the topic of the shared coolant return/power line between the power supply and the torch, I found out that the power cable is in the middle and the (return flow of) coolant flows around this power cable. I wonder what size cable it is. As a point of reference, the wire size of my grounding clamp cable is 2 AWG.

Jody Collier discusses this matter in some detail at the 13:15 mark in this video:
        Last edited by commuter ebikes; 3 weeks ago.

One hopefully interesting bit of trivia is that the water cooler is called a Miller Coolmate 1.3 because it hold 1.3 gallons of coolant.

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

Don't do it. The last thing you want to do is to tell the power company that you weld.
            Why is this? Do some prohibit it? That sounds ominous, what's the problem?

I'm pretty sure it's obvious to them from the usage data, anyway, if they want to know.
            Last edited by JPLabs; 3 weeks ago.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              They may start talking about a special service and upgrades to the transformers that you have to foot the bill for. This happened to me 40+ years ago when I wanted to put a 100 amp service in my barn. I was asked about the kind of equipment and 5 hp air compressor and other tools were ok. Then I mentioned welding and all of my plans came to a halt because the expense would be to great.

Now I live in the sticks at the end of a line and that may have had something to do with it. If it looks like you are going to do business at the location that can also get dicey. If there is one word that I will not use around a power company official it is welder.

• JPLabs
              JPLabs commented
              Editing a comment
              OK, thanks.

I upgraded my house to 200A, and added a 100A circuit and box to my back shop for the welder, permitted, and saw no related costs or welder questions. But I'm in the 'burbs with ample infrastructure. 15 years ago or so. But now i see your point about how/why they may react.