My first TIG frame, a city bike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first TIG frame, a city bike

Here are some pictures of my first TIG frame. This is a double butted 4130 chromoly steel tube "city bike". This is a 29er for rear tires up to 2.25" wide. It will have a single 32T chainring, 18T single speed freewheel and ISO brakes. It is being powder coated flat black.

It has a 73mm Standard English BB shell (38mm O.D.), 105mm tall/48mm O.D. head tube, 47mm rake (for a Surly Krampus thru axle fork), 72.7 degree head tube angle, 73 degree seat tube angle, 50mm bottom bracket drop, 142mm dropouts (Syntace, thru axle), 426mm chainstay length, 28.6mm diameter for both seat tube and top tube, and a 38mm down tube.

Being a single speed, it only has braze-ons for the rear brake hydraulic hose, a luggage rack and two water bottle cages.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2867.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	67785
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 06-24-2018, 09:10 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13094.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	67789
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 06-24-2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2640.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	67791
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 06-24-2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2684.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	67802Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2735.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	67803

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2774.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	67805Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2826.JPG Views:	1 Size:	966.5 KB ID:	67807Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2791.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	67808
          Last edited by commuter ebikes; 06-24-2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2859.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	67811
            Last edited by commuter ebikes; 06-24-2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I was trying to upload large JPG files (e.g. 1-3MB), but the forum software was rotating the pictures. I found that reducing the size of the photo allows us to upload our photos in our desired orientations.

Click image for larger version  Name:	left.PNG Views:	1 Size:	880.1 KB ID:	67824
              Last edited by commuter ebikes; 06-25-2018, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13115.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	67861Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13113.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	67862Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13114.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	67863Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13111.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	67864Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13112.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	67865

Comment

Looks nice. Btw I don't suppose you are planning on making frames that would fit an Ultra? If you are please hit me up, I have been thinking of swapping out my Enduro frame for something a little lighter but selling it and building from scratch seems like a fun option as well. Always nice to get personal experience with new products.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
                    Looks nice. Btw I don't suppose you are planning on making frames that would fit an Ultra? If you are please hit me up, I have been thinking of swapping out my Enduro frame for something a little lighter but selling it and building from scratch seems like a fun option as well. Always nice to get personal experience with new products.
                    I would be happy to make you one, but I won’t be tooled up for another 12 months. I am saving up for a horizontal milling machine and the Anvil fixtures. Once I get those two items, I can make any imaginable steel or titanium frames.

Comment

Holy cow! I ignore you for a week, and look what you went and did!!! "I'll need hundreds or thousands of hours practice". "I need way more school and tools'. Etc.

Look what you did! LOOK! That is so wonderful. Way to go, bike builder! It is a thing of beauty. Sure, you ground the welds. They are gorgeous, for where you are.

Very very well done, Commuter. Be generously proud of yourself.
                      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. I just bought 100 feet of thin walled tubing. I will post the first and last welds. We will see how much somebody improves after welding 100 feet of thin walled tubing.

Comment

Bloody hell. I throw a few commercially available parts together on an existing frame, one or two small mods, and feel proud of myself. You go and start from scratch and actually build your own frame. Probably even mined the iron ore. TIG on tight radius is tricky so even ground up, those joints look good. You’ve raised the bar here. I’m planning a Molly 29er build with geared hub for long range touring. Been looking for a suitable frame but this has sent me back to the drawing board. Please keep progress pics coming.

Comment

This frame and its Surly Krampus fork are currently at the powder coater for matte black powder.

I did manage to buy a Chris King headset http://www.bikeman.com/HD7705.html,a 32T single speed crankset http://www.bikeman.com/CK6375.html, this bottom bracket http://www.bikeman.com/CK2151.html and pegged downhill pedals before I ran out of money.

The powder coater takes about three months, so I have plenty time to save up for the powder coating labor, Tannus tires, hydraulic brakes with 203mm rotors and all the rest of the parts. This will include a BMX handlebar, White Industries 18T freewheel, and this amazing Paul Components disk brake compatible rear single speed hub which is 142mm thru axle and mounts an old school freewheel https://www.treefortbikes.com/prod/3...caAqVdEALw_wcB.

I need to fab an aluminum luggage rack, so I will post that activity in this thread. But I am actually scared to light up on aluminum! I have the filler material and practice material, but I just weld steel all the time. Someday soon I will switch 'er over to AC and try it out.
                            Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-03-2018, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• Hard Tail
                              Hard Tail commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Three months for the powder coated. Is he really good or really slow. Looking forward to pics of the finnished project

• commuter ebikes
                              commuter ebikes commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Miller Powder Coating always does spectacular work. My parts have taken between 2 weeks and four months; the average is 2-3 months.

I do tell them that I am not in a hurry because I have so many other things going on. They may relax the labor charge just a bit due to my patience.

• JPLabs
                              JPLabs commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Ha! Good philosophy. The last time I said I was in a hurry for powerdercoat (a trailer), 10% of it flaked off! Never tell a body/paint guy to hurry :)

A rack, great. I need to make one too, like this month, and am also hesitant to do so in aluminum. For aluminum, mostly I've welded 1/8" plate. Lots of coupons, a few good ones, and then a seat bucket for my homebuilt car. But not so much in small detail work, and nowhere near the serious practice you are devoting yourself towards. Usually, for things like a bike rack, I use cro-moly tube and I have some in 1/4 and 1/2" now. Weld or Tig braze. Both my aluminum Ibera racks have fatigued and broken so I need a tougher rack. I think I'll do steel, but I look forward to seeing what you do there, and what I may learn by watching.
                            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Working...
                            X