Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures of my first brazed frame, a fat bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treolan
    replied
    Really nice bike! Looking forward to seeing your custom works in the future.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    Originally posted by paxtana View Post
    Are you taking orders for custom fabrication yet, shall I refer folks to you that want a custom frame?

Got a guy that wants a stretch ebike like a long version of Luna banana that can seat three heavy guys. And I guess use some massive motor like monster cyclone to power it.
    The fixtures, milling machine and other equipment will actually take me 4-5 years to save up for! That is because I am going to welding school and then machining school which is pretty expensive. The schools always have a higher priority than the equipment.

I will be around here moderating daily and posting when I get time. Once I get the equipment, I will definitely do custom stuff. Knowing me, I will post the play by play. I have 76 weekends alone at school with nothing to do. I'm sure I will rewrite my notes and post them up in this section along with pictures of the action if the schools allow photos.

My paying job is 6 days/58-60 hours a week and my unpaid job is 8 hours on top of that, so I actually wouldn't have time to do very much until I retire. It's on then! I will be able to hit the ground running.

I wrenched on this bike today. I shortened the hydraulic hoses (which was a hassle) and installed the water bottle cages. My wife was out here helping me with the brake bleed.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 09-21-2018, 10:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• paxtana
    replied
    Are you taking orders for custom fabrication yet, shall I refer folks to you that want a custom frame?

Got a guy that wants a stretch ebike like a long version of Luna banana that can seat three heavy guys. And I guess use some massive motor like monster cyclone to power it.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    I must like the ICT forks because they are 5 of my 6 bikes.

Spacing between the axle & dropout can be challenging, but it can be a fun time.

• MoneyPit
    commented on 's reply
    Perfect! Easy to get in different thicknesses from Amazon. I am going to test fit the wheels before I buy anything else. The dropouts on the ICT fork see nice and deep so I may be able to use a wider area washer than what I am used to. with the other no-name forks I have been using in the past.

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    And the nondrive side:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3891.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	74378

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    Here is a picture of the drive side with a cleaner background:

Name:	IMG_3896.JPG
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	74376

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    Originally posted by MoneyPit View Post
    Love the chainring on that beast!

Glad you made mention of the thrust washers. I wasn't aware of those. I need some for my own frame swap (which is progressing slowly as well) for fitment of the front motor (issues with the lawyer lips). For similar needs in the past I have relied on thin serrated washers but this might be a better option.
    The brass (copper?) thrust washers are awesome because they will conform to an irregular surface when you tighten the axle nuts.

And check out those gunsmithing peel washers. I would not have been able to complete my builds without those shims. I also use them in my truing stand when I build a wheel with a hub motor.

The .223 caliber and .308 caliber shims correspond nicely to ebike axle diameters.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 09-20-2018, 04:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MoneyPit
    replied
    Love the chainring on that beast!

Glad you made mention of the thrust washers. I wasn't aware of those. I need some for my own frame swap (which is progressing slowly as well) for fitment of the front motor (issues with the lawyer lips). For similar needs in the past I have relied on thin serrated washers but this might be a better option.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    It was really fun building the bike! The bike fits me perfectly. It looks like the seat is really low, but this is just a huge bike. I have a 32" inseam, and when I stand over the top tube, I make contact with it.

Filing the dropouts for the oversize axle was aggravating. I was happy that the wheel went in straight after all of that filing, but I was using the torque plates from a "known good" bike as templates to show where to file.

The wheels were already built and ready to go, but I had to add a 1mm brake rotor spacer in the rear (for a total of 16mm rotor spacing). I have never had to use any rotor spacers in the front of any of my 5 bikes.

The headset was easy (no issues).

I thought the BB was going to be easy, but I installed the spindle in the drive side crank arm without putting the keyed spline (one wide spline to index the non-drive side crank arm) where it should be. I had to use my hydraulic press to push the spindle out of the drive side crank arm.

Fitting the 70T chain ring required a lot of BB spacers. I also needed some spacers on the non-drive side so that the crank arm would clear the chainstay. Using all of these spacers, I was left with no extra room on the spindle splines. It would be impossible to add a larger chain ring.

The torque plates are a crazy tight fit. It is almost like a puzzle, and a challenging puzzle at that.

Setting up the front brakes was easy, but the rear was a challenge. The front hydraulic hose is a little too short, and the rear hydraulic hose is way too long.

Setting the chainline required adding a lot more freewheel spacers to push out the 5-speed freewheel. ith so many spacers, the freewheel extended beyond the axle so I used gunsmithing shims; the .308 caliber shims fit around the M16 (metric bolt size, not the rifle) axle, but the outer diameter of the gunsmithing peel washers remain inside the freewheel hub body. This effectively increases the axle length.

I also put a brass thrust washer (plumbing part form the hardware store) on the outer edge of the freewheel side for the purpose of keeping my freewheel away from the frame. The brass thrust washers are like the gunsmithing shims--they aren't so wide like a fender washer or even a regular washer.

Getting the chain length was straightforward; I needed two chains. Lovin' the SRAM PowerLinks.

Tomorrow I will build a pedal bike that I will use to commute when it rains; I don't take my ebikes out in the rain. I find pedal bikes are so much less aggravating to build. Faster to build, but then they ride slow.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 09-20-2018, 03:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    And some pictures of the frame with only a bare axle and torque plates installed:

Name:	IMG_3554.PNG
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	74122Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3556.PNG
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	74123Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3559.PNG
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	74124

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    Here is the other side of the bike:

Name:	IMG_3586.JPG
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	74120

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    I have the day off (I will miss three days because of a bicycle crash). After picking up the powder coated parts, I came home and got pretty far with the fat bike frame from this thread:

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_3581.JPGViews:	1Size:	2.72 MBID:	74117
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 09-20-2018, 02:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    So the powder coater finally finished. This took 3 months and cost $700.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3548.PNG Views:	1 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	74115
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 09-20-2018, 02:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• geckocycles
    replied
    I love BIG tires. My issues with them is having to use aluminum chainrings or spend more than $200 for a Actiontec ring. The bike will be for my wife and see mostly bike path. THere is a fair amount of trail with sand wash to get to the bike path though and her easy motion just doesn't have the power or tire for it. She wants what I have but she is too small to have a sizable battery in a FS Zirkel. With out suspension she needs BIG tire I'm thinking. She isn't a very good cyclist anymore and needs all the help she can get. Boy she has her eye on the carbon FS Fat bike at Luna and it is in my cart now. $8300 but they are out of stock as of yesterday so back to plan A. 52v 24AH GA, BBSHD, Roloff and put it on my $220 17" Walmart Fat bike. I have several sets of different hyd disks and let her try that before I go building a frame for her. That carbon Luna is sweet but it may even be too big for her. I think we need to try it first before dropping that much on it.

Interesting. I would definitely have lowered that TT then.

My first ebike was a E-Boo that was given to me for a song because it had no battery. It is a freak of nature for sure. Carbon frame and fork with bamboo SS, TT and ST. I thought I would play with it and turn it into a shop bike for the guys. I used Headways and after deciding I didn't want the battery weight on a rack so high, I made aluminum panniers for them. The sides got welded panels with access doors in the rear and a removable top when it was all done.
    The ST and seat post is really weird and the bamboo started splitting so you could not put much weight on the seat. I am in the process of replacing the ST with a Ti one I have here. So it will be carbon, bamboo and Ti bike. LOL
    Last edited by geckocycles; 08-09-2018, 07:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X