Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling frames for internal wiring. Yes or No?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything you can do to limit sideways motion is good. Something rigid to fill the gap between frame and battery that can take the loads off the bolts, for example. Epoxy putty, even. Not as an adhesive! But, as a spacer/mounting surface.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean. I think it is really rigidly on there with the battery mount solidly against the frame with no play. My battery mount has 4 mounting points and I put a bolt in each (on the Devinci, not the Townie). Because I tapped the holes, the battery mount is right against the frame and is not sitting up on top of the inserts, so there really isn't any play. I guess that is one good side to the way I installed it: it is very snug and rigid, but yes I do still realize there are other downsides to my method. I guess my install will be a good tester to see how it holds up with time, not that my results would mean anything for anyone else with a different frame/set-up/riding style, but it will be interesting none the less.
      ‚Äč

Comment

• AndyZ
        AndyZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I would say so. Will update his thread once I know how it holds up, which may be a while since we just had a second baby :)

• JPLabs
        JPLabs commented
        Editing a comment
        Andyz, congrats on kid 2!!!

• AndyZ
        AndyZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks JPLabs :).

I glanced at our Townie and remembered the only reason to enlarge the hole from the now removed front derailed was to fit the connector. If one used a harness of different length where the connector wasn't in the frame, the harness would fit fine though the existing holes. Knee deep in fatbikes and snow right now.

Comment

• AndyZ
        AndyZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah that's it. One way or another the harness connectors have to get through the frame and they just don't fit :-!

If its just the connectors. you could remove them run the cable and just remount them after.

Comment

• AndyZ
        AndyZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that possible on the main BBSHD harness? I'm not speaking about the power wires to the battery, but the harness that goes to the computer, brakes, pas, etc.

• pure_mahem
        pure_mahem commented
        Editing a comment
        I will say its beyond my skill but all things are possible with enough time and money

• AndyZ
        AndyZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I am not skilled or patient enough for that either. I am better at using well designed plug and play stuff that gives the illusion of me having skill and patience ;).

Check out what I just discovered, which perhaps you guys know... The harness can be dismantled. I only went as far as unscrewing the back of it. I am nervous to pull it apart because I don't know if I can get it back together. Has anyone tried this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190111_125616.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	81123

Comment

For me the connector would be inside the tube. I would need another length. However if you are the first to do this you will be a Townie a Go Go hero.

Comment

• AndyZ
          AndyZ commented
          Editing a comment
          Spray paint and a bow :).

I have a man's bike with girl problems. I really like the matching Townie fenders. They are metal, color matched, and hug my slightly oversized tires so perfectly (I put 2.15 instead of the 2.0 max for this model). If I go with a suspension fork I have to axe the fender for a plastic one. That or I guess I could just toss the fender altogether which might not be a bad option...

• xcnick
          xcnick commented
          Editing a comment
          I have only ridden this girls townie with a sus fork, but I don't think it is worth the effort. I would stay rigid because Trek seems to have gone rigid on all their new townies. The body float is a keeper though.

• AndyZ
          AndyZ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I really love the bodyfloat. If I didn't have a dropper on my FS I would put a bodyfloat on that too lol.

Aside from that previous failure, I did actually discover something cool. We already know that nylon mesh looks great over the wires, but what I found out today (by reading the back of the nylon mesh package) is it looks very pro if you add some heat shrink tube to the ends of the mesh.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190111_162447.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	81134

Comment

I like the nylon mesh and heat shrink trick. You could cover a multitude of sins with that stuff.

Comment

• AndyZ
            AndyZ commented
            Editing a comment
            It can definitely make an amateur look a little more pro
        Working...
        X