Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Build: Full Suspension BBSHD Which frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Build: Full Suspension BBSHD Which frame?

We at the Luna Lab want to make a bad ass bbshd and I am wondering if anyone has an idea on a readily available full suspension bike that will fit one of our batteries inside the triangle?

Right now i am looking at Scott Bikes....

ERIC

My BBSHD is in a Genesis v2100, have not gotten the battery yet though. But I have made a mockup of the Luna "power density" battery from foam block and it looks like it will fit in the triangle. The battery description says 6x4x4 but it looks like 6x6x4, more like a cube. I think it's a typo, so the block in these pics is 6x6x4". It looks to barely fit so there is no overhang, or could be laid down flat with about 2" overhang on either side.

Comment

So went into REI and found a ghost bike a shark battery fits perfectly inside the triangle...

SO the ghost Kato FS 3 looks like the bike i might settle for because we have an exciting project we want to start TODAY

its a little steep at 1700 dollars...but any descent mountain bike should cost that much.

http://www.rei.com/product/881869/gh...-275-bike-2015

Comment

• Louis
        Louis commented
        Editing a comment
        Christmas bonus? REI rocks great bikes! Can't wait.

• jakethe5nake
        jakethe5nake commented
        Editing a comment
        Is the shark pack easily removable? (does it easily come off the mount)

I have been thinking along those lines.
      I am concerned about the extra weight of the BBSHD and if ridden like a true MTB, the extra fatigue would make the Al 6061 frame, bend or crack.
      I guess Lectric cycles tried this with Salsa Bucksaw.
      http://www.lectriccycles.com/e-rad-m...a-bucksaw-x01/

I was thinking of Surly or Salsa frame because Revelate makes some really nice frame bags and you could put a 48V, 20Ah pack easily.

52V, 20Ah in a aesthetically pleasing frame bag and BBSHD would make a kickass FS-eMTB.

Comment

• DrDave
        DrDave commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this design a lot also; it would be awesome if the down tube were reconfigured to open the triangle up...

• jakethe5nake
        jakethe5nake commented
        Editing a comment
        what frame bag is that?

• Ravi Kempaiah
        Ravi Kempaiah commented
        Editing a comment
        Revelate frame bag.

Comment

• k_oflynn2000
        k_oflynn2000 commented
        Editing a comment
        Cube ams 150

Now i am thinking a used Ellsworth Dare I got my hands on...and buying a used rohloff tomorrow. My BBSHD is goinna be a little special in that i am gonna run 90 volts to it and 90 amps :) 8000 watts.

Comment

Might want a fire extinguisher, running that much higher than the manufacturer recommend voltage, and amperage.

Comment

• DrDave
          DrDave commented
          Editing a comment
          ...and a neck brace, lol....

The whole eConversion process is part of the fun of doing this. I really like the Salsa and Giant prototypes, but at some point it seems the conversion process has it's limitation. If I'm going to build a BA (bad ass) Phat bike, I want all the goodies...yes...I want FS, I want a BBSHD, and I want a flippin Hemi on my down tube...not on my back or on a rack. It seems to me there's an opening for somebody with some tube bending capacities to create some frames for the eBike-building community. May not be economically feasible on a large scale, but it's ok to confabulate anyhow...

Check this site out for some giggles...http://www.bikecad.ca/

DrD
        Last edited by DrDave; 02-24-2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I like how my FS frame worked out as an ebike build.
          I have a BBSHD on this bike now.

Comment

• DrDave
            DrDave commented
            Editing a comment
            That's pretty slick. What frame is that based on?

• etriker
            etriker commented
            Editing a comment
            Super app of the 'shark/dolphin' battery - outstanding!

About a 2000 vintage Specilaized FSR.
          I have detailed pics from my build, I will do a write up soon.

Comment

It's interesting. Today after reading Eric's post about the Ghost FS Kato, I actually was near an REI and decided to go in. Oddly enough, they had a couple of those bikes in stock...about 2.5K each...but they also had the hard-tail version. So when comparing, the reason for the narrow front triangle is that Ghost actually moves the top tube down on the seat tube. I've been trying to figure out if that's done for structural reasons - that seems obvious...but who knows; the rear triangle is part of the shock mechanism and the pivot runs through the seat tube just above the placement of the shock. I'm trying to figure out if moving the top tube upward would compromise the strength and I'm thinking that might create some flex. It may have to do with material. Anyway, just moving that top tube upward would make a significant improvement in the front triangle area, giving more space for a BA battery.

Either way, either conversion options provide more space for battery placement or the batteries become more efficient in terms of the real estate they occupy. I'm wondering if this BikeCAD program also provides the BikeCAD option. Checking that out.

Cheers!
            Last edited by DrDave; 02-24-2016, 08:42 PM.

Comment

This Specialized Epic Comp 29 looks like it might be a nice eConversion donor,,,

Comment

I quite like this one, it's called the Salsa Dos 29er. Rear shock's not even in the triangle.

Comment

• DrDave
                  DrDave commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea...I like this too...kinda reminds me of my Trek DS w Isozone - although I think this is a much better design. BB is 68 mm. How would a BBSHD fit up to this baby?

• DrDave
                  DrDave commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I found a couple of these on CL and Ebay. There was stripped frame - perfect for a build - for $200. I almost bit, but decided the check with Salsa to see if the shock was still available. Alas, the customer representative told me that they no longer manufacture the shock and as far as it is know, there is no OEM product available. So, regrettably, I'm going to pass on this as a donor for my next build - a BBSHD FS 29'er. Right now, the Giant Anthem is looking the best.

The Ghost Kato FS is a bit narrow in the front triangle...

Yeah kinda neat and different. I guess that's called a softtail bike, which includes others like the GT LTS and the walmart next avalon which is the only soft tail bike I can find currently in production. The BB on a Dos is a 68mm but good luck finding one at a store.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
                  Yeah kinda neat and different. I guess that's called a softtail bike, which includes others like the GT LTS and the walmart next avalon which is the only soft tail bike I can find currently in production. The BB on a Dos is a 68mm but good luck finding one at a store.
                  There actually are a couple for sale on Ebay and CL right now...

Comment

Working...
                  X