48 volt charger on 51 volt battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

48 volt charger on 51 volt battery

Hi there just have a quick question. A friend of mine bought a heavily discounted electric scooter with no charger. We've managed to find a distributer for li ion battery chargers. The problem is they only sell 48 volt chargers, and the scooter is rated at 51 volts, would this be ok? I would think a 48 volt charger should be able to charge a 51 volt battery to slightly below max charge, but I also know how complicated charging these batteries is.

From everything I've learned, ideally you would only charge LiON batteries to 80% and way extend your battery life. That would be 41V on a 51V battery, so provided your battery has a BMS, I'd think a 48V charger should work fine for your needs.

Jose

Comment

From everything I've learned, ideally you would only charge LiON batteries to 80% and way extend your battery life. That would be 41V on a 51V battery, so provided your battery has a BMS, I'd think a 48V charger should work fine for your needs.
      A "51V" battery (whatever that is) discharged to 41V would be close to 100% discharged.

Terminology can be a little confusing:

a "48V" battery using lithium cells fully charged is really 54.6V (13 x 4.2): a "48V" battery using LiFePO4 cells fully charged is really 57.6V (16 x 3.6)
      a "52V" battery using lithium cells fully charged is really 58.8V (14 x 4.2)

I have no idea what a 51V battery is. You might want to check what the battery you have really is.

If it's lead acid, it's different again - and there are different chargers for 48V lead acid and 48V lithium.

Comment

Comment

Where did you find that chart, Fred. I'd like to have the different voltage versions of those printed and in a binder to reference.

edit - I totally brain farted my post further up. I know that an 18650 varies a little, but they floor out at 3.25-3.5 depending on the BMS. Assuming 3.2, that means a 13S pack will be at 41.6V when drained. DOH!

Jose
          Last edited by DaHose; 1 week ago.

Comment

I think I got it here on this Forum somewhere. Here's the 52V version.

Note that these are not the bible, just a general average. The actual discharge curves, etc. will vary by the cells being used.

Comment

Working...
            X