Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBSHD Mountain Bike (Plus?) - Chainring compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Mountain Bike (Plus?) - Chainring compatibility?

Hey guys,

New to the forum, so bear with me. I recently decided to set out and make a BBSHD build. I'm a fairly large guy, looking to do all terrain style riding (gravel trails, dirt possibly, and urban trails). From what I can understand, a hardtail mountain bike is probably ideal with a front suspension.

Went the bike store to check out a couple possible options...

Salsa Rangefinder Deore 27.5
    Kona Big Honzo
    Jones Plus LWB

BUT, they all had a similar problem... Plenty of a space for a 9 speed rear cassette, but only enough space for a 32T (or so) chainring. Would any of these work, or does there need to be space for at least 40T with the BBSHD?

All of these are very nice bikes. You may want to search the forum for bikes that folks have already used on builds and then try to find one of those. It just makes life easier and you'll run into fewer issues. I'm a large guy and a fan of fat bikes a donor bike. On my Fattie, I run a 30t chainring in the Winter and a 36t the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by mtm408 View Post
      All of these are very nice bikes. You may want to search the forum for bikes that folks have already used on builds and then try to find one of those. It just makes life easier and you'll run into fewer issues. I'm a large guy and a fan of fat bikes a donor bike. On my Fattie, I run a 30t chainring in the Winter and a 36t the rest of the year.
      So what chainrings do you use? I actually found a Surly Ogre that I think imma go with. Fattie + 42T chainring clearance

Comment

Originally posted by knodel12 View Post

So what chainrings do you use? I actually found a Surly Ogre that I think imma go with. Fattie + 42T chainring clearance
        Both of mine are Lunacycle chainrings. The Luna Mighty-mini 30t and the Luna One BBSHD 36t. I've also had a Lekkie Bling Ring 42t but it was much more speed and less torque than I needed.

Comment

If the BBSHD will fit (the secondary reduction takes up a lot of space on behind the chain ring) then pretty much whatever chain ring will go on it but you may have a bad chain line

The optimum chain ring depends on more than a few variables - e.g.

tire size
          largest and smallest cassette cogs
          how fast and how slow do you want to go and at what pedal speeds for those
          what's the steepest hills you will climb and how long are they

Comment

I just installed a BBSO2 on a Schwinn Axum that came with a 1x8 drive train and the chainring was a 30t and the chainstay widens out just behind the 30t chainring. I had to file/sand down the backside of the gear reduction housing to get it to fit and from what I've seen the BBSHD has a larger diameter reduction housing. I made a template that I can use on assembled bikes to check if my motor would fit. It has reference surfaces for the reduction housing and the back edge of the chainring that I use. It can be used on the non drive side as long as the chainstays are symmetrical.
            Attached Files

Comment

What you can run really depends on the frame geometry. The gear case on the BBSxx is where the chain rings normally are. They make 40's and up with an offset so they fit over the gear case and get you back to a typical chain ring area. The 40 is pretty expensive because it includes a new front cover for the gear case. 42's and up are a little more reasonable cost wise. Most HD kits include an offset 46t cheap ring.

One possible problem with some frames especially ones that came with a 30 is a bigger ring may still hit the frame so an offset may not work. If you don't need the big offset then they make rings down to a 30. There is still a slight offset to them to get them as close as possible to the gear case, so close that a wider chain can slightly rub. If you need a small ring and offset only fix may be an internal geared hub since with the single cog on those you don't end up with such an extreme chain angle in the lower gears. A Nexus 3 speed ain't bad but if you want 5 or 8 it gets expensive.

I have found especially for more street type of riding you don't need those super low gears. If you plan to do offroad trails its much more of a factor for short steep climbs.

Comment

Here is some info on the BBSHD chain rings including the offsets of various options.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...g-offset-guide

Comment

I am 6'3" 230 and live in the hills. Built a Fat with HD but would taco rear cogs instantly even with perfect chainline. Chainrings are too large for the riding here. I made 29 and 30t steel chainrings that will last and the chain is very close to the housing as possible. Now I can run fewer (5) and smaller cogs in the rear. I use old road Mavic rear cogs as they are much stronger and are holding up. Cassette cogs these days are drilled out for lightness but just don't hold up with this torque. Problem solved. I also am making solid rear cogs for it with more outer support. None of this shit is light but steel and made to last and hold up to unreal torque.

Comment

• Mike_V
                    Mike_V commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice work!
                    A picture of the Mavic cogs and chainline?
                    Thanks

Comment

• Mike_V
                    Mike_V commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well done, robust cogs features.
                    Please comment: How is the assisted pedaling cadence, on level ground, with your chainrings?
                    Or, Perhaps, a level ride is 'throttle time'.

It's my wifes and she throttles all the time. I'll have to go ride it today and report. I don't recall there being a problem but I can spin and the bike is way too small for me. It is certainly geared for the hills and my wife motored up steep grades at 20 she said. She is #210

Comment

Working...
                  X