Montague Paratrooper BBSHD, issues before starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montague Paratrooper BBSHD, issues before starting

Well Finally had a chance to start on my ebike build and the crank puller stripped out lol. This is the tool I purchased/used https://www.amazon.com/Oumers-Bike-C...HGWARDRJQTJ63AI hand threaded it in , then tightened the black part with a wrench. I had the silver part backed out as far as I could already so at that point i started tightening the silver piece that pushes the crank out. Put a wrench on it, turned a few times and I think the crank shifted a little out and then the whole puller just fell out. Tried it a few times and the same thing kept happening. I reordered a new one for tomorrow to try the other side but any suggestions for removing the current one? I saw a video a you tube video a guy used a 3" 3 prong gear puller from harbour freight to remove a stuck crank.

I don't know that brand at all but based on the price for all 3 pieces it can't be the greatest tool ever but with a little extra care should still be able to do the job at least a few times. From Park who is kinda of the standard of the bike tool industry each of those tools would have cost what you paid for the set.

Looking at the photo and reading your description I think you may have been trying to use it wrong. The process would be to put some lube on the tool threads and the silver tip. If the tip turns separate from the threads try and get something liquid like chain lube in that joint. If it doesn't turns then a decent size gob of grease on the tip. You then spin it so the tip is flush with the black part. Now the tool is ready. Same lube process applies to a Park tool as a $1 aliexpress one. The difference is the Park one will still work without lube, the cheap one will likely self destruct.

Next step is to thread the black part into the arm without turning the silver part within as far as it will go. You should be able to do this by hand and even after it stops turning you don't want or need to use a wrench to get it tight. If it doesn't want to go carefully inspect the arm's threads and try cleaning them if there is any signs of grime in em. Once its in you then put a wrench on the silver part and start turning. That should pop it off. Once its off you should be able to easily by hand unthread the tool.

Back in my early and poor days I tired using a 3 jaw puller and all I did was destroy the puller and the arm. The rounded edges of most crank arms just don't give you a good bite with the wrong tools. I think I would inspect both your damaged too and the damaged arm and clean them up the best you can. After they are clean decide if you should try using the same tool the proper way or wait for the new tool and risk damaging that on the damaged arm. Since you think it did move a bit it may no longer be that tight and not take that many good threads to hold well enough to get er off. IF the arm threads are just too far gone I would just cut it with a hacksaw. Aluminum cuts pretty easy and the spindle is hard so you will know if you hit it with the blade and not do a lot of damage to it. You won't have to cut all the way through. IF you get most of the way and can wedge something like a screwdriver or pry bar in the kerf you can likely just snap what is left.

Good luck and let us know how it works out, not only this process but the whole build.

Comment

A local bike shop can likely remove everything from the bb shell for cheap and they already have tools and knowhow to remove something that is stuck. Might be an option worth considering.

Comment

Just re read your description and maybe you were using it right. Did the BB you are trying to remove have threaded in bolts that held it or were they nuts? Either way process is the same its just the nut style some tools may not be long enough that you have plenty of thread engagement.

Comment

Looking at some photos of that bike it doesn't look like anything usual. The bike yes but the BB and crank arms look normal. Looks like a cool bike too. I didn't know they were still around. I was selling Montague folding bikes back in the late 80's. As far as I remember at the time they were the only ones that figured out how to basically make a regular bike that folded up. All the rest of the options were pretty crummy bikes when it came to actually riding them. Looks like they are still somewhat innovating in their designs and still making a bike that not only folds but is a decent bike to ride. For sure got to keep us posted on the build, looks like its gonna be cool.

Comment

I have thought about dropping it off and let a shop get it out for me but will give t another try on Wednesday. Need to pick up more wd-40 so I can clean it out where I am working, saw some metal shavings in the opening . I like the bike. I am 53 and had a spinal cord injury and am disabled so the days of crazy mountain biking are long gone. I wanted a competent bike with good quality component's, lighter weight, and folding was a big plus. I just finished converting a 2010 Transit Connect into a little camper van so I can head away to check out a trail someplace and the bike folds up and fits snugly inside the van between my "pullout couch bed" and the small "galley Kitchen with 1 burner and a sink". I used to love camping with friends and being out in nature, tent camping for me is over. Next year hopefully the pandemic situation will be better and we can start having more informal gatherings again, but if not I will head off to do light bike trail exploring. I have a 52v 23.1 amp battery for it so with light peddling at 8-10mph (my need for speed isn't so pressing any more lol) I should hopefully have some decent range.

Comment

Do you have a dremel type of tool? One of those with a little wire brush wheel can be good for cleaning up threads. Once you get it clean you will have a better idea what is left for threads in there.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I was going to question the folding part till the camper came into play but it sounds like a great combo with the camper. Hopefully you will still be able to lift it into the van. These conversion add quite a bit of weight even without the battery. Weight isn't so much of a problem for going down the trails because we have the motor but it can be a huge deal when it comes to lifting the whole bike for any reason.

Comment

Ok, thats an easy try, yeah have a dremel so I will clean out the threads and see what it looks like. Yeah I think I will be popping the battery off the rack before trying to toss the bike around. I contemplated a bike rack but this way while traveling it's safe, and I have a feeling if I pop the front wheel off and pull the seat post I might be able to put it up on the roof rack to be chained at night...at least thats the thought lol, if not locked to my bumper with an alarm on it.

Comment

Well a $100 later I paid a shop to remove it, fortunaetly they were slow, so the bike mechanic worked on it for an hour to get the cranks off then remove the bottom bracket. He mentioned they were on "real tight".

Comment

Sometimes they are pretty tight and if its ever got wet that can accelerate corrosion between the different metals involved which makes it all worse. The next trick is to have the tools and know how to use them. For things like the arms there are not that many options but for the BB there are now at least a dozen popular styles and many of them look pretty similar so you may not even know which part is supposed to turn and which way to try and turn it.

So did you do a test fit yet with the motor and the chain ring to see how close or far that is going to be? More parts ordered or is it gonna work?

Comment

Yeah I admit that when the threads are going in opposite directions, like peddles...I will bring up a video on my phone of it being done to lessen the chance of turning them the wrong way. Hoping this weekend to have some undisturbed time to work on it... living with other people has it's challenges lol.

Comment

I testfit the motor with the 42 tooth Leki bling wring I got for it. Nothing is rubbing. The motor slid in nicely which after the issue with the cranks..at least this felt good lol.

Comment

I would say you are 3/4 of the way there as far as the difficult stuff goes. Getting the old BB out as you know can be quite a project then the next one is the chain ring clearance and spacing. You got those done so it should be pretty straight forward plugging stuff in now.

Comment

Thanks! I ordered a 13L trunk bag for my battery. I have a 52v 23.8 amp battery from EM3ev. I do leatherwork, and will probably make a leather bag to fit back there once i find a way to secure it better. I have a rear rack that came with the bike. So will get some ideas from the trunk bag unless I find something better. I picked up a new handlebars and an adjustable mount for them so I can raise the height up to 3" which also brings it a little closer to me, more a cruising style swept back a little to help keep me sitting upright. The weight of the bike with the motor on isn't bad at all. Add the 13+ pounds for the battery will probably feel different, but right now I just rolled the bike into my van unfolded.

Comment

One thing to note getting that much weight at a height like the rack you will really feel if the bike starts to lean for any reason. Where it almost got me one time was doing a ride with some others and I was carrying a spare in my trunk bag. My normal one goes in the triangle so at least part of its lower. What happened is we were passing some others on the paved trail and I don't remember why but for some reason I stood up on the pedals to get some more power and just about laid the bike down on the second swing/pump. This was like 10 miles into the ride so quite a shock. It can also get you if you are transporting the bike and it gets laid over, it can take a lot more to get it back up again not to mention it may really stress your battery mount.

Comment

Working...
                              X