Best Bang for the Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Bang for the Buck

Right now there are a few threads on gearing chain alignment and drive line problems. It seems the Luna Eclipse is a good solution but could there be another answer. I have been thinking and reading about IGHs as a possible improvement and while cruising the net I found this cool gearing calculator. http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html It is a little confusing because it takes everything into account even crank arm length.

I recently installed an epoch free wheel with 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 24, 30 sprockets. I found that with the 42 tooth chain wheel the gearing was about perfect for my bike. I fed this info into the calculator and copied the table. I then fed the info for a Shimano nexus 3 with a 15 tooth sprocket into the calculator and found that they were a match for my 3rd 5th and 7th. So I went on a long ride using only 3,5,and 7th and it seemed just about perfect.

The price of the luna eclipse sprocket will cover most of the price of the hub and hardware and the chain line should be quiet good with the 3 speed. I think this is the direction I am going to go.

Sounds like a great plan! I have a NuVinci on one of my rides, and I love it, but have found I really only use about three different positions. Full under drive, unity, and full over drive. I have often thought a 3 speed would be ideal. That Nexus inter3 is a nice one! Don't pass on a Sturmey-Archer 3speed, one of the best around!

Comment

Man, I'm gonna talk myself into resurrecting the SA 3 speed drum brake wheel....

Comment

You should Louis, There's a Townie out there just waiting for you! I'm picking up the Townie 8 I found tomorrow. My wife's excited! I think I'm more excited! I'm waiting to order the drive till I confirm BB width. Should I expect a 68 or 73mm BB? Definitely doing a gear sensor and ebrake for her, and I thought a GA mini cube would be about all the battery she will need. Suggestions? Tips for a top notch build? This is only my second build, still learnin' every day!

Comment

• Louis
          Louis commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm holding out on another townie until I can find a frame from the first couple of years of production. Overbuilt and prefect foe a beast of an eBike. The hunt has been on for months.

• Rix Ryds
          Rix Ryds commented
          Editing a comment
          What years and models are you looking for? I'm now on a hunt for another electra, probably a cruiser for me. I would be glad to keep an eye out and let you know of anything that pops on the radar. Also if you find something in my area and you need it evaluated or shipped, I'd be glad to help. Expanding your search area might help, Used Electra's are a rare find! I had to drive to Dallas, (I live near San Antonio), To pick up the Townie 8i I found, would do it again to, that is one sweet little bike for $300!

• Louis
          Louis commented
          Editing a comment
          As far as I can tell 2003 was the first year for the Townie. The two early models I've seen are probably 2004-2006. I'm n hunting the history to sort the models. Next time I visit my local pal I'll take more pictures of the frame. In 2007, the first time I saw his it was a couple of years old. It might even be from year one. It's an 8i and was over $650 back then.

So, 2003 to 2006 maybe '07, model 3i and 8i I'm guessing?

Comment

the 21 would be fine too.

Comment

• Rix Ryds
            Rix Ryds commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll keep an eye out.

Originally posted by Louis Luna View Post
          the 21 would be fine too.
          If by the 21 you mean 21 speed it won't work well putting the BBHSD inside the frame. Electra welded a short piece of tubing to mount the front derailleur right in the way.

Comment

Thanks, I have no problem with it outside. I have it outside on a Trek Pure too, and it's lower than my three other KHS frames and never a problem. Nice to have inside if possible but in practice it's never been a problem. And since the front derailleur is useless it can be easily removed. I'll be repainting. They did some goofy colors.

Comment

Well I ordered one and it will be here tomorrow. I haven't decided on rim or spokes yet but I would like a complete spare rear wheel. I am going to rob errrr borrow the cassette from my Specialized road bike to cut costs and I think I am going to buy a new chain. Oh here is a picture of what I decided on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	12559
              So I am not getting rid of the derailleur yet. Just cutting down on it's use.

Comment

Hopefully SA has the issues worked out since the introduction of that hub.. They were standard issue on some Tern folding bikes and the Tern forum is well documented with shifting problems with the hub gears not working properly.. many bikes returned to dealers for a fix.. the people who were the most vocal got Tern to install a SRAM Dual drive to finally remedy the problem.. this was a couple of years back, so changes may have been made.. a safer bet going with a hybrid hub would be a Sachs 3x7 or SRAM Dual Drive .. I prefer the Sachs as there is no shifting clickbox to contend with, but on a cruiser, wouldn't be much of an issue.. here's the Sachs on my Montague that I modified a few months back..

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Luna View Post
                  I have it outside on a Trek Pure too
                  ​Will the BBSHD not fit inside on the Trek Pure? I had been looking at them and thought it might. So it's a no go then?

Comment

Working...
                  X