Chain Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Selection

What would be the best chain for a BBSHD with a Luna Mighty Mini chainring, and a single speed rear cog taken from a shimano 10-speed cassette? There are so many options. Thx.

"Best" is always a loaded question - best for what? Best for shifting? Best for durability? Best for cost? Best for low friction? Best for corrosion resistance? Best for low weight? Best for handling neglect?

That's partly why there's so many choices

It seems you aren't worried about shifting but most everything else is up for discussion

Why running a 10sp chain on a single speed setup? Just curious

Anyway, I've got an 11-speed and running shimano HG-701 (ultegra)... mid priced at about $30 and I've got 3000mi on the last one on my big fat tire BBSHD bike. Shifts extremely well and lasts long if I keep it well lubed... isn't as light or low friction as others and doesn't shift well and makes noise if not well lubed. It's got the sil-tec coating and is marketed for electric bike use: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...-HG701-11.html

Good article here on chains here: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-...ciency-tested/

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      This bike will be used mostly at slow speeds (10mph) but in a very harsh environment (mud-gravel mix that will be caked on the chain). The rear cog was taken from a 10 speed cassette mainly because it has the right number of teeth and I already had it. I guess my question is can I use a 1/8" chain on a 3/32" rear cog, and from a durability standpoint is a 1/8" chain tougher than the narrower ones or does that matter. The 30 tooth chainring is going to generate a lot of tension in the chain, so that combined with the environment are the major factors. Plus, I'll be riding in a remote area and would really like to limit the possibilities of having to walk out!

I can't speak much to single speed bicycle chains

As counter-intuitive as it might be, for derailleur chains 12sp are more durable than 11sp which are more durable than 10sp, which beat 9sp, which beat 8sp

Regardless, I would (do) carry a chain tool, master link and for a setup without a derailleur or tensioner, spare links/pins - they are super small and can repair a broken chain enough to get you home, I've done it two or three times but that's over the course of many decades and thousands of miles and every time it was due to neglect - most times severe neglect

I think if you stay on top of things, lube it well and measure often, you won't likely break one... in your situation I'd replace more often perhaps - chains are pretty cheap and easy to replace, especially the lower number of speeds but even my 11sp are only $30 and take a minute or two to change... perhaps if you are really worried carry a spare chain but I doubt it would get used... heck just carrying it will probably "scare" the chain that's running into not breaking if you know what I mean Click image for larger version

Name:	wink.gif
Views:	5
Size:	439 Bytes
ID:	120467

Comment

Some of the true single speed chains don't seem to play nice with some of the narrow wide chain rings plus they don't like any angles. I would have to look at the model but I got a conex chain I bought based on recommendations here when I was running a IGH but it didn't want to ride nice on my Lekkie 42 ring. Thought it could be a wear issue so I also tried it on my new Luna 42 and it was actually worse so I went back to a 7/8 speed.

I thought 'people' said that the 7/8's are a good choice for singles that use mulit speed parts and are pretty strong. I don't have proof of that but its worked for me plus the single just didn't fit. I also noticed my line wasn't perfect so even if it had worked on the chain ring I may have still had issues.

I just replaced a 10 speed chain due to wear and of you make a U out of it and hold the ends it would have made a 90 degree turn in about 6 inches. The new one did it in maybe 8 inches.

Comment

• Steve
        Steve commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Eldo! Basically, I am switching from my Sturmey Archer 3 speed because the torque of the BBSHD is just too much for it, mainly it strips out the three keys on the cog that engage the hub; I've also broken a part within the hub that I replaced. I've found for my purpose I don't need speed, but I do need dependability and strength (hills, weight, pulling trailer, etc.). So, I've found a strong 170mm hub and a conversion kit to use a single cog (from a larger cassette). With the kit I can adjust the chainline to be perfect, so no problems with offset from the chainring. Just looking for the best chain to go with the Luna Mighty Mini 30t and a 32t cog off of a Shimano cassette.
    Working...
    X